Dragon1952 - NFL Week 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon1952 - NFL Week 2

Boy, what an embarrassing Week 1 at 0-4.

Thoughts on Week 2 -

New England -3 vs San Diego - And I call myself a Charger fan! Boy, I am really setting myself up here. But to tell you the truth, I don't think the Chargers are ready for this game...at least offensively speaking. I think it's wrong to keep L.T. out of preseason, for one. It may have worked OK at one time but the fact is, I don't expect him to be sharp for a few games. They were held to only 263 total yds last week at home vs Chicago and although Rivers completion ratio looked good the yds per pass attempt was only 5.3 and many of those completions were little dinks to Tomlinson. They also only gained an average 2.1 yds per rush. Their 14 pts was largely the result of Chicago TO's deep in Charger territory. Their defense did play well though, but you wonder how much Chicago's pathetic offense had to do with that.
    New England looked a lot sharper on offense racking up 28 FD's and 431 yds on the Jets with no TO's, while holding the Jets to only 227 total yds. And that was on the road.
    San Diego does have extreme motivation and New England does have another division opponent coming up next week. Also, you don't know how this latest fiasco in New England is going to affect play but bottom line is, 3 pts is pretty darn reasonable considering the Chargers lack of offense at this point in the season and having to travel 3000 mi. I'll also take Belichick over Turner anyday. The Pats are 18-6 SU at home over the last 3 seasons with one of those losses basically a meaningless game and w/out key players. The Pats have also won 11 out the the last 13 matchups in this series. Some other trends:
    * SD are 16-6-2 ATS in their last 24 road games.
    * SD are 7-3-1 ATS in their last 11 games in Week 2.
    * SD are 31-15-2 ATS in their last 48 games overall.
    * Under is 10-4 in NE last 14 home games.
    * NE are 49-23-3 ATS in their last 75 games overall.
    * NE are 36-17-3 ATS vs. a team with a winning record.

Pittsburgh -10 vs Buffalo - Denver held the home team Buffalo Bills to only 184 total offensive yds last week and only 72 yds passing? Geez Lou-weez! Denver racked up a huge 470 yds of offense themselves.
    One of Buffalo's TD's was the result of a punt return. Buffalo also lost 3 defensive starters (a LB, CB and safety) in that game. The Bills lost the game as time ran out on a last second Denver FG which has to hurt also.
    Pittsburgh demolished Cleveland on the road forcing 5 TO's and holding the Browns to only 221 total yds while racking up 206 yds rushing and 365 total net yds themselves. I think Buffalo gets dumped pretty good in this tough spot for them with the last second loss, injuries and now having to hit the road against one of the better teams out there.
    Cincinnati -7 @ Cleveland - We saw how great Cleveland is last week. Now they're going with an inexperienced QB to go along with an old running back. They gave up 4 passing TD's vs Pittsburgh last week and gave up over 200 yds rushing and now have to deal with the Bengals high-powered 'O'. Cincinnati has won the past 5 matchups, and last years results were 34-17 and 30-0. The coaching staff obviously doesn't know what's going on or why would they wait and decide to dump Frye now. Kind of a knee-jerk reaction. Frye beat out both Anderson and Quinn in the preseason and was chosen to be the starter for a reason. Then they dump him after one quarter? If he beat out the other two I guess that tells you where they are now.
    Carolina - 6.5 vs Houston - Carolina looked good at St Louis with 21 FD's, 186 yds rushing, Delhomme 18 for 27 and 3 TD's and held a pretty good passing team to 167 passing yds on a bunch of dinkers. Houston had one big play (a 77 yd TD pass) and a fumble returned for a TD and other than that a couple drives resulting in FG's but only netted 13 FD's in beating a team everyone thinks sucks anyway. Carolina held Stephen Jackson to only a 3.2 yd avg and 58 yds so we'll see how well Ahman Green does against a better defense. And we'll also see if Houston can contain Steve Smith who caught 7 for 118 yds and a TD last week.

Really like two of your picks. Be careful with Buffalo they have a tendency to cover alot.. Forgot where I saw the stat but it was ridicules how many times they've covered in the last three years... JMO
    jpehl

Comment

Well you were right last week vs Denver...OK I'll be careful

Comment

Wouldnt mind a little insight on the Chargers/NE game if you have time....
        jpehl

Comment

I think their defense is in pretty good shape. LaDanian had no pre-season reps and it showed last week. He caught a bunch of dinkers out of the backfield and threw a TD but they stuffed him on his rush attempts (17 rushes for 25 yds). I can't see him being much sharper today....maybe by Week 4 vs KC. Michael Turner is a load though and can break one any time.They ought to be giving him more reps until LT is ready. I think they are not as good at WR this year losing McCardell and Parker being out for a few games. That leaves a bunch of ??? although I really like Vincent Jackson they don't have much more as far as battle-tested experience. Malcolm Floyd with a whole 15 receptions last year. The enitire WR corps caught a whole 7 passes last week and the longest gain out of those was only 10 yds. Antonio Gates and Tomlinson were responsible for 16 out of the 23 completions. Losing Cam Cameron can't help the offense much. It sure didn't do much vs Chicago. I think the Pats are way ahead on offense at this point of the season and probably not that far behind on defense either. And playing at home to boot.

Comment

Working...
          X