• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIANTS AT BUCS THREAD - WHO WINS??

GIANTS AT BUCS

1/6/08

1 PM EST

As much as Eli Manning downplays it, there's no getting away from the fact that this game is a defining moment in his career. There's no guarantees in the NFL that you'll ever get back to the playoffs. Yet Manning has had two cracks at it already, both losses. Getting past the first round will at least at some level, validate his career. He's no Peyton. We understand that. But this game really lies squarely on his shoulders.

The Giants have talent on both sides of the ball. On offense they have a balanced attack. They field the 4th ranked rushing game in the NFL behind 6-4 265 pound monster back Brandon Jacobs. Their passing game can be very good when Manning and company are "on". They will miss Shockey big time in a game like this, but still have Burress, Toomer, Smith and Moss. They also can be a big play team and big plays can be the difference in a game like this. By big plays, we're thinking of a 50 yard jump ball to Plaxico Burress in the End Zone. That threat is always there.

On defense, the Giants led the league in sacks and have the best pass rush in the League. They'll be gambling on defense with their blitz packages against a mobile QB like Jeff Garcia. Garcia has the potential to make big plays when "on the run".

The bottom line is that the Giants have enough big play makers and talent on both sides of the ball to make the difference Saturday in Tampa. The missing piece to the puzzle is which Eli Manning shows up. You can throw out last weeks game against the Patriots as far as we're concerned. There was virtually no pressure on Manning and the Giants last week. All of the pressure was on the Patriots to stay undefeated and break a few records. For the Giants, whether they won or lost, they would be playing Saturday in Tampa. There's a big difference between a QB having a big game with no pressure on him, and a QB having a big game with the season on the line. Thus far in his career, manning has not been able to deliver with the season on the line. Perhaps the 3rd time will be the charm?

It won't be easy. The Bucs are getting it done on defense and have put together a balanced offensive attack of their own. Garcia is a winner. He wins wherever he goes. The big question mark for the Bucs will be whether taking the last two weeks of the season off will leave them a little rusty for this playoff game. By kickoff time Saturday, the Bucs will have gone 3 weeks without a meaningful game, with key players sitting out.

When we break this game down using yards per point, we get the idea that perhaps this should be a Bucs call. The Giants played great football away from home this year. They went 7-1 on the road, including their trip across the pond to England earlier in the year. Their yards per point numbers on the road were 14.9 for the offense and 17.7 for the defense for a +2.8 total number. But if you look strictly at the Giants road numbers, then you have to look strictly at Tampa's home numbers, and they were pretty damn good. The Bucs, at home, on offense had a ypp number of 13.6 while they put up a very good 20.5 number on defense for a total of +7.3. Edge to the Bucs.

Taking it a step further, looking at the last 7 meaningful games, for each team, we have the Giants being outscored 20-22 with ypp numbers of 16.7 on offense and 13.7 on defense for a -3.......not good folks. The Bucs outscored their opponents in their last 7 meaningful games 24-15 and have ypp numbers of 13.6 on offense and 16 on defense for +2.4.......so, a 5.4 point edge for the Bucs before adding in home field. So, with home field, the Bucs would rate a 7 point edge or so here.

So using home and away numbers the Bucs have a 4.5 point edge. Using the last 7 meaningful games, the Bucs have a 7 point edge. Either way you slice it, when laying only -2.5, you'd have to take a close look at the Bucs from a statistical handicapping viewpoint. Throw in the Giants turnover ratio of -8 compared to the Bucs +15 and you have the makings of a very strong case for the Bucs.

Sometimes though, you have to abandon the stats. They don't always tell the whole story. Sometimes, as a handicapper, you have to go with your gut, based on your assessment of the teams not from stats but from having watched them in action many times over the course of a season. As mentioned above, the talent is there for the Giants. If all the pieces of the puzzle come together for one game, if Manning has a good game, if the Giants don't turn it over, if the receivers don't drop passes, if they don't miss tackles and give up big plays, they win this game. The Bucs have some impressive numbers but they also don't play in the NFC East. They get to play the Falcons twice, the Panthers twice, along with teams like the Rams, 49ers, Lions and Cardinals. That's a little different than the Cowboys, Redskins and Eagles twice. with Green Bay, New England and Minnesota thrown in for good luck. In spite of that, the Giants still fished with one more win than the Bucs. Time for all the pieces of the puzzle to come together for one, complete game.........

3* GIANTS +3 -120

1* Giants Money Line +130

1* Giants/Bucs Under 39.5

i like the Bucs here...

Garcia vs Eli is all i need to know

i think having played balls-out vs Pats actually hurts the GMEN in this situation and all the pressure is on the GMEN, Eli and Coughlin here

and public ALL-OVER the GMEN in this one....

hoping to see a few picks and the "eli-face" a few times in this one....anyone who follows the GMEN knows what the 'eli-face' is....ha ha ha - cracks me up every time

CF2

Comment

I'm having trouble seeing why so many people even like the Giants here...I don't get it! Because they gained so much confidence for playing the Pats tough? So did Philadelphia and Baltimore and then they both laid an egg the next week. Is it because Manning played one good game at QB coming down the stretch - vs. alot of inconsistent games? It can't be coaching, as Coughlin has a poor post-season record while Gruden is good in the post-season. I just don't buy it...unless I'm missing something, it's got to be the Bucs.

Comment

I think perhaps alot of the public is on the Giants because of the Pats game.

The public has a short memory.

In my case, I threw out the Pats game out when looking at this game. To me it makes no difference what happened in that game, although, hey, if they Giants have a little more confidence as a result, so be it.

I believe the Giants are going to be able to run the ball. Tampa has a great defense, but 17th against the run, leaves some wiggle room. If The Giants can run the ball, it will open up the passing game and take some pressure off Manning.

Like so many playoff games, or actually, football games in general, the running game is key.

If the Giants can run the ball, they'll win.

If they can't run it, they'll lose.

We should know by the end of the first quarter what kind of day it's going to be.

Comment

Im on the Bucs!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I like the Bucs too. Cant see the Gmen getting up emotionally two weeks in a row even though its the playoffs.
            Brent Mussberger said the Giants would treat NE like their superbowl and then
            get blown out in the playoffs and you can tell he is a betting man by the way he talks.
            good luck

Comment

Garister, you're right, I remember him with Jimmy The Greek...they both talked the talk.

Comment

Some say Coughlin was playing for his job against NE, but if he doesn't
                win here he may be out anyway. I think it breaks down to what QB is
                more prone to make mistakes and that would mean a Bucs win.
                Eli can do a lot to change his image with a win, even if they
                lose in the next round.

Comment

RAW + Garister......you guys are right on the money.

When you spend a good many years in this business, you meet people who know people...etc.etc.

Word is, that whole crew from that pre game show with musberger and greek used to send it in.....all of them.

How times have changed huh?

Anyone not old enough to remember, you missed a special time in NFL history....imagine, a guy like Jimmy the greek doing the pre game shows.....and the NFL denies that gambling made them what they are!!!

Comment

bucs D will be the difference here. TB by double digits

Comment

To many reasons to list but I like the Bucs.

Comment

NEW YORK at TAMPA BAY(2.5) 39.5...
                        ny 11-2 ats after scoring 35pts or more s 93.
                        series...ny is 1-4 ats + under last 5 games in tampa.
                        ...........last 5 series games overall have gone 0-5 under.
                        SYSTEMS...divisional winners in wildcard round are 27-8 su and 22-12-1 ats if they played thier regular season finale at home s 90. TAMPA BAY
                        ................wildcard home teams off a su loss in regular season finale are 45-13 su and 38-19-1 ats s 80. TAMPA BAY
                        RATINGS #...NY BY 3 (11-3-1 ATS LAST 15)

Comment

sendining it on the bucs lost too many games on eli.

Comment

Really like Giants in this one.

Comment

I am taking the Bucs and the over. I think this game will be similar to the Pitt/Jax game with a lot of passing and big plays on both sides with the bucs pulling away.

Swicat

Comment

Working...
                              X