SMALL WRITE-UPS........BIG WINNERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMALL WRITE-UPS........BIG WINNERS

Decided to start a new thread since the other one was gettting a little long in the tooth.........Nothing gets us away from the 9-13 record that we've accumulated since we started posting here, but we'll try something a little different this time.........Also, we didn't post last week trying to get away from the "posting jinx" that bit us in the ass 2 weeks ago.......and it worked..........Actually had a pretty good weekend last week -- but that's turf history.........Let's get on to this weekend's games.........If you follow these picks with your hard-earned money, just remember to pay the rent first.

COLLEGE PICKS:

OKLAHOMA -7 VS. TEXAS TECH..........This is the game the Sooners have been waiting for and banking on.......They can get right back into the hunt for the BCS Championship with this victory, and they will.........The Texas Tech offense is one of the best if not THE best in the country, but they will have their work cut out for them against a much bigger and faster defense than what they've faced lately, not to mention 85,000 rabid Sooner fans ready to eat them for dinner...........Look for the Oklahoma squad to send them home happy, with an easier than expected victory.

UTAH -7 VS. BYU..........See the above post minus the huge BCS implications.........BYU has had it's way with some inferior opponents lately, but they'll find that today's mission is a bit more complex.........BYU is 3-10-1 ATS against ranked opponents, and we see that trend continuing here as they face a superior offense in Utah, led by hot QB Johnson.........Utes by a couple of touchdowns in this one.

NFL PICKS:

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS +3 VS. BUFFALO BILLS........These two teams are headed in opposite directions, not that that the Chiefs are going anywhere soon, but they're playing with a helluva lot of guts for a team with a 1-9 record........QB Thigpen has acquired a bit of a rythym with his band of talented receivers and they've began to put some points up.........Same can't be said for the Bills squad who blew a game late last week against a team that is notorious for doing the same.......The loss to Cleveland was the last straw for a team already in a tailspin, losing their last 4 straight.......A moneyline play might be in order here, and we'll hope that the horrific play of QB Trent Edwards continues here........His passes spend so much time in the air that even I could probably get under one.........What ever happened to Lee Evans anyway ?.........We'll side with the hometown Chiefs here.

ARIZONA CARDINALS +3 VS. NEW YORK GIANTS.........A win by the Cardinals here puts them one back of the Giants in the race for playoff home-field advantage......Arizona has won 3 straight games since QB Kurt Warner took a field trip to the Fountain Of Youth.......Include the fact that they play twice as good at home as on the road (the Giants are no road slouches themselves), and the fact that Giants RB stud Brandon Jacobs may not be 100% and may not play at all, and we'll take the small number and run with it.........Cards in a squeaker.

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS -2.5 VS. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS......If the Chargers are going to keep their dim playoff hopes alive, they'll have to win this -- plain and simple........Their schedule from here on looks pretty desirable aside from the game they play in Tampa Bay........The up-and-down game they played last week probably did them good, to know that they could hang in the snow with one of the toughest defenses in the league.......The Colts are on a roll, but Manning turns into the Happy Ballerina when he hits the road of late........He did so in Green Bay and again in Tennessee........The sold-out Sunday night crowd in San Diego, where the Chargers do their best, may be enough to help push them over the top..........Take the Bolts to win a high-action contest.

DALLAS COWBOYS -10 VS. SAN FRANCISCO 49ER'S........The Dallas Cowboys did something last week that I haven't seen them do for more than two months, and that is -- have fun playing football........Romo played with the splint on his finger and all, but you could see the glee in the huddle just by his mere prescence.........Barber was back to playing with the vigor and ruthlessness that we came to identify him with, and the whole team including coach Wade Phillips seemed to finally be on the same page together........They beat a pretty good Redskin team to instill some confidence in a team that looked like it was ready to mail it in a couple of weeks ago, and that alone says alot for these guys...........Mike Singletary's boys beat up on the already beat-up St. Louis Lambs last week, but they won't enjoy that kind of success against these dudes in Dallas..........Look for an ugly game at best, and can anyone say OVER ?

Good Luck and enjoy the games guys, let's kick some ass !!!

LAST WEEK: NO POSTS

OVERALL RECORD: 9-13
    ;)

I like both Okie and utah too. 7 seems like a value on the dogs in a tight game but look closer and I think both favs are far superior than the dog. I circled both early and think Okie rolls a bit easier than Utah, but bith cover.

Tech won't know what hit them when they leave Norman!

good Luck!

Oh yeah, my top play is on Iowa State +10 over k-state. Think this is a shoot-out with the last team with the ball winning-look to the over too.

Comment

I have been on a nice roll and with the college regular season winding down it is time to drop the hammer.

Thankfully, Vegas did a lot of the work this week and it is up to us to take advantage.

Here are my picks

Arizona, Illlinois and Wake Forest are all unranked teams favored over a ranked team. I have used this angle very successfully including the other night with Ga Tech in the same situation routing the Hurricanes. The sportswriters call it an upset but Vegas knows better.

Vandy -3 - It is not too often when Vandy is the favorite over the mighty vols. Look for Vandy to release years of frustration out today.

Those 4 picks should help the P & L considerably. I suggest a 4 team parlay as well.

Some other picks:

TCU, Utah under, Ohio St over and LSU over.

i really should take Oklahoma as well but my heart says T. Tech for full disclosure

Good luck,
      Swicat

Comment

last time we disagreed on all the NFL games I got smoked. I disagree with three of them and have no opinion on kc game as of right now. However KC has been a money maker with large spreads in the last 4 weeks. I dont play college but Im on the tech bandwagon. Be careful with Dallas right here as they have 2 games in 5 days. I think they win but ten is pushing it. The Arizona game should be a great game to watch this week. Look forward to seeing how they play against the Giants.
        Good Luck
        jpehl

Comment

oh yeah and I kind of disagree about the skins being being on the upswing. I kind of thought they peaked a little early and were falling. However Barber is a stud and looked pretty damn good last week.

Comment

Holy Shittthhh !!!.........Did you see the ending of that Iowa State game ?!!..........Thanks Woodee, I wasn't going to use this game until you said that it was your best...........They score with 1 second left and cover from the back door............Plus 10.5, they lose by 8 !!!...........Hello World !!!!...........Parlay time !!!
            ;)

Comment

Yeah, that cover pretty much saved my ass for the morning/afternoon games. I had a straight bet on Iowa St, plus it completed a 3 team parlay for me

Comment

Good call on the CFB picks Boone! I had Utah too on a straight bet and a winning parlay but bought 3 with the Red Raiders on another parlay, unfortunately, for my only loser on that one. Damn, I think the Sooners beat anybody they play this year. If they aren't in the championship game it will be a crime.
                I'm liking all the pro picks but the Charger pick. Good luck on Sunday!

Comment

Have to admit I was impressed with the Sooners, if they would have only played that well against the Longhorns.
                  jpehl

Comment

Ouch! That was a rough outing yesterday. Two bad beats with Wake and Arizona.

Hope to do better next week....

Swicat

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Dragon............I would love to see the BCS Championship game take place between Florida and Oklahoma.............I think it would be a classic.........It just might happen that way..........Luckily, I enjoyed my best College Football day of the year yesterday...........didn't have a loser, but had one tie with Nevada against Boise State because they settled for a field goal after having a 1st-and-goal from the 9-yard-line late in the game..........I won't be greedy though........but I will add one more game for early Sunday.........and I love the Monday Night matchup but I'm going to wait until I see how today's games go before I get too carried away......Good Luck today !!!!

NFL PICK:

HOUSTON TEXANS +3 VS. Cleveland Browns........These two teams are pretty even in regards to talent, but the Browns may be playing without a vital part of their offense since Kellen Winslow is hurting once again........even if he plays, he could be limited, and the pressure would lie on the Cleveland defense that has given up 98 points over the last 3 weeks to some less-than-average offenses that included Buffalo and Baltimore..........the weather shouldn't be too big a factor since the forecast doesn't call for snow until tomorrow........So RB Slaton and WR Johnson could be in for some big performances for the Texans here today...........We'll take the 3-points and run with 'em.............Good Luck.
                      ;)

Comment

NYG -3.5
                        ne -1
                        balt -2

Lean towards
                        Wash -3.5
                        indy +3
                        Sf +10 Thought about making this my pick for the contest

Comment

Heres my NFL card...Nice early x-mas with Iowa State yesterday!

KC +10.5/Bears pk...7 point tease

Seattle +3 over Washington

Jets +6 over Titans...Think they win SU.

Atlanta -1 over Carolina

TB-2/Denver -2...7 point tease.

Good Luck guys!

Comment

Wood,
                            Nice call on the Jets, I looked at it and I was scared to pull the trigger on the Jets. Any thoughts on the late game?

Comment

2-2-1 on the day but did add a tease with SD and Baltimore so I did make a small profit on the day.

KC got smoked after the 1st quarter!

Comment

Working...
                              X