San Diego vs Indianapolis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego vs Indianapolis

jpehl was asking for my thoughts on this game.
    It looks like the sharps and public both jumped on the Chargers early as the line was Colts -2.5 at opening and it is now a pick-em.
    Colts - Have won 9 games in a row which makes them the hottest team in the NFL right now. They did have a fairly easy schedule down the stretch with Houston, San Diego, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Jacksonville and a Tennessee team resting it's starters. But before that they did beat New England and Pittsburgh, and they are one of only two teams that dominated the Ravens. Indianapolis was 6-2 on the road and they were tied with Pittsburgh for the best record vs AFC teams at 10-2.
    San Diego - Won their last 4 games, but really.....they beat a terrible Oakland team, it took a miracle for them to beat Kansas City, and they beat Tampa Bay and Denver who were both in free-fall mode. Remember, before that 4 game winning streak they had lost 3 in a row vs playoff teams (Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and Atlanta) and they had lost 5 of their last 6, with the only win in that span being a 1 pt home victory over Kansas City.

In the first meeting between these teams, the Colts were leading 20-10 with 11:48 left in the game but Rivers led the offense on a 70 yd TD drive to get within 3 with 5:36 left, and then on another 58 yd drive to set up the tying FG with 1:45 left. The Colts then went 37 yds in 8 plays to set up a 51 yd FG from Adam Vinatieri as time expired for the 23-20 win.
    Colt SS Bob Sanders did not play in that game, but he is expected to play in this one. He should make a difference.
    Charger RB LaDanian Tomlinson tweaked his groin in the Denver game and did not return. An MRI has shown that he does have a strained groin and he has been held out of practices this week. TE Antonio Gates has a sprained anke and has also been held out of practice. In a quote from CBS Sportsline, It sounds as if Tomlinson, who has a strained groin, is in better shape than Gates, who has a sprained ankle. "If we were playing today he probably wouldn't play," coach Norv Turner said about Gates, the Pro Bowl tight end. And L.T.? "Yeah, I think he would," the coach said. "Both of them are a lot better than they have been," Turner said. "It really will be a Saturday decision, how they feel. We'll get them out there and run around and see how they feel. I'm optimistic about both of them."
    San Diego went all-out last week in a huge revenge game that was for the AFC crown. Indianapolis rested starters in their game vs Tennessee. Manning only played one series, going 7 for 7 for 95 yds and a TD. Dominic Rhodes and Bob Sanders were held out completely. Reggie Wayne, Joseph Addai, and several other starters were removed in the 1st half.
    I think Indianapolis has a serious advantage with rested and healthy starters. San Diego has had a nice run but they could have peaked emotionally last week. Sproles is not a bad replacement for LT...in fact maybe even better, but not sure he can carry a full load. I'm not sure Gates would even be that much of a factor. The Chargers have TE Brandon Manumaleuna, who is no slouch, but he is a couple inches shorter than Gates and without the jumping ability.
    I think the Colts at a pick-em is an incredible deal in this game. Even if Tomlinson and Gates were healthy, and Sanders was still out for the Colts, I still think it would be a pretty decent deal. However, although I have won going against the Chargers several times this year, I do tend to get burned betting against them on occasion. And my wife is a HUGE Charger fan so it does make it "uncomfortable" watching the games sometimes. But I will be going with the Colts in this one as I just can't see the Chargers advancing and the Colts staying home. The Chargers knocked the Colts out of the playoffs last year, so that is just extra added incentive.

OVER IS THE PLAY HERE.

SD CANT STOP MANNING THROUGH THE AIR, AND SD WILL SCORE PLENTY TOO.

Comment

No mention of Norv? I really think he will have a negative impact on this game. Great write up Dragon. Im torn between balt and indy right now.
      jpehl

Comment

My 2 cents-

I think Peyton has something to prove here. He has struggled against 3-4 defenses especially San Diego. This version as Hart mentioned is not that strong for SD.

For San Diego, I think there will be a certain let down factor as well. They had to win out all the while needing Denver to lose out. Now that has happened, I think they don't have that edge anymore of trying to stay alive. Meanwhile, Indy has been hitting their stride, took it easy last week being able to prepare for this game.

Long story short, Indy wins going away by 10+

Good Luck,
        swicat

Comment

I played--

Atlanta +8
          Indy/SD OVER 42

7 point tease.

lean toward indy too. I just can't see the soft Zona team beating Atlanta with Burner Turner controlling the run game enough to give Ryan some room to throw.

Plus I don't trust Warner's old ass to win.

Comment

BRUTAL LOSS ON TOTAL. TWO TURNOVERS IN THE ENDZONE AND THESE QUEERS PLAY THEIR BEST DEFENSIVE GAME IN 2 SEASONS. NEVER ENDS.

Comment

My sincerest apologies. It's pretty hard to fathom, but Indianapolis just didn't show up to play. The keys to the game for the Chargers were their pass rush, which was all over Manning, Mike Scifres punting, which was part pure luck, and Darren Sproles.
              The keys to the Colts loss were lousy pass blocking, lousy run blocking, dropped passes, and penalties! The few times they did get decent field position they fucked it up with penalties. And, of course, San Diego's winning 'drive' in OT was nearly all penalties. Yes Sproles broke lose for the TD, but the game was already lost as the Chargers were in chip shot FG range already due to 3 penalties.
              Manning was not sharp, despite throwing for over 300 yds. He missed Wayne about 3 times on plays where Wayne had the defender beat. He had lots of overthrows and underthrows. The Colts also had many drops. But I think their biggest mistake was not utilizing Dominic Rhodes, who could have been Sproles-like. Addai is a slow slug. But despite the Colts lethargic play, they were in position to win the game (due to a 'trick' play), and all they needed was 2 yds for a 1st down.Their entire season comes down to 2 freakin' yds and they screw it up. They had a 3 pt lead with under 2 minutes to play and they lose by 6. Absolutely unbelievable. The Chargers bite me in the ass yet again.

Comment

I bet the Chargers (my team) straight up and took the money to the bank. Had a small party here, all of us from San diego, and WHAT A GAME!

hAPPY NEW YEARS ALL.

jEFF

Comment

Dragon,
                  no big deal, I was having problems getting a grasp on this game and I think both teams have burned me pretty bad this year. Luckily I went with my original thought of Baltimore. I feel this week will be the hardest week to cap all year.
                  jpehl

Comment

The secret sauce was the punter. San Diego's punter is the greatest that has ever or will ever live. I think he should demand Peyton Manning money.

Comment

Working...
                    X