Computer handicapping programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer handicapping programs

Would there be any interest in a seperate forum to post the football plays of various computer programs commercially available??

yeah

i will join in that one.

Comment

I've used MrNFL and MrCFB for a few years.
      I'd like to add another program to the mix at
      a reasonable price. What is everyone else
      using?

bill

Comment

jeff, i will be useing the "ferret" again this year and if you start a forum i will post. bigbill, check out "www.jimsquest.com" then look at "the nfl ferret" best nfl. hands down and believe me i've seen or used them all.

Comment

hiptwo - i was going to try that one but saw a write-up on another forum about the guy that owns 'Ferret' being kind of
          psycho. So I copied and pasted the stuff into an email to him to get his side of the story before buying the software. Man - you wouldn't beleive the nasty vile emails he sent me ranting on and on.

One of the things the fellow had posted was that the software comes with a built in 'bug' that traces all the sites you visit and periodically 'calls home' with the info. The owner then monitors any of the forums that you've visited to see if you've posted anything negative about the software and if you have he revokes your right to update the software files each week even tho you've paid for it.

Last year i contacted someone that posted that they had purchased the program and told them where to look for the hidden call home bug on their computer and sure enough it was there.

it will be interesting to see the results you get - good luck.
          bill

(edited for spelling)
          Last edited by bigbill; 07-08-2003, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Nfl Ferret

HipTwo - I agree that Jim's software is the best out there. I asked if he would add "situational analysis," so I wouldn't have to get both WinPicks and the Ferret. He told me he would add it on a limited basis in a subsequent release. I also bitched about the stats which are not 100% accurate - Jim says his users would rather have stats that are a little bit off on Monday rather than 100% accurate stats on Tuesday - I disagree.

BigBill - yeah it was me who discovered Jim's software "phoned home" to check the validity of the software. He was trying to prevent theft of his work, which I agree with. However, I didn't agree with the way he was doing it. No application should send or receive information without the user's approval. Doing so is the earmark of what is termed "spyware" in the software industry.

I asked Jim why the thing phoned home, but he just refused to answer. I told him that I'd trap the packets being sent and see for myself - which I did. It was then I discovered what the software was doing and when confronted with the facts, he went ballistic.

Anyway after a long pissing match, with Jim making all sorts of wild and defamatory accusations, cooler heads prevailed. Jim decided to change the way the software checks to see if you have a legitimate copy.

I don't recall exactly what the program's record was last year, but it was phenominal! Not that it will duplicate that performance this year, but you'd have made a fortune had you followed the picks he posted in the Ferret's Den forum last NFL season.

You can use the software for 8 weeks without paying a cent and it's handy for managing stats and what not. I'll be using it this year and I'll probably have to buy WinPicks as well to get the damned situational analysis I find so handy.
            As Always - Good Luck,

Sonny

Comment

ferret

i like the ferret also. micro brothers has been my fav for 10 years but i am considering the ferret this year. we will make a forum for the ferret.

good luck
              bg

Comment

thanks, Bettorsworld.

bigbill, i remember Stardust had a discussion with Jim last year or early this year, and i can say they both had some good points ABOUT the program. there was some other stuff brought up which i really don't care about. me i trust Jim, i've used his program for five or six years and NEVER had a problem. jim is saying he is useing spyware to protect his product, i believe him. as far as the stats, if i wait till wed or thurs would they be diff. from monday or tue? i do know over the years i've e-mailed Jim and allways got a answer, not bs or a rant and rave.

let the good times roll

Comment

the 2003 MrNfl is available for download - free for the first 8 weeks. the college program will be ready in a week or so.

i may try winpicks too for the trends - do they have a trial period?

i have to admit i like the simplicity of the MrNFL products - quick and easy to come up with winning formulas year after year.

i recently read about a study done using horse handicappers -
                  one was given every possible stat for each horse race and the other group was given just the basic info to cap the races and the basic info group way out performed the 'stat overload' group.
                  They then ran the same experiment on other sports and the results were the same. Too much info and over-analyzing can be bad for your wallet.

bill

Comment

from above post -
                    "I also bitched about the stats which are not 100% accurate - Jim says his users would rather have stats that are a little bit off on Monday rather than 100% accurate stats on Tuesday"

that is the most assinine statement i've heard him make. how can anyone knowingly make a wager based on faulty stats? And
                    worst of all apparently he knows they aren't accurate when he puts them out.

bill

Comment

bigbill, i don't think the stats that i downloaded on mon. would be that that much diff. from what i would download on thur. would it make a diff. of a half point or a point? no!! not in my opinion. if you get the early lines i think it could make a diff.

Comment

bigbill,

Isn't the bottom line winning ?

Mr.NFL, Winpicks, the Ferret are all trying to produce WINNERS

If the Ferret uses stats from Monday (and is comfortable with that) what does it matter. If later updated stats would make a difference, it will show up, or not, in the performance. It didn't last year !!

We should judge them on their records and keep the personal stuff to ourselves.

Pete

Comment

I don't think he is referring to inaccurate LINES but inaccurate STATS (such as rushing yards etc).

bill

Comment

I was referring to the stats also.

I don't know what stats stardust was referring to and how much they were "Off". I'll try to get some details somehow.

My point is that the stats that would possibly change are rushing yards, passing yards etc, and they probably only change a tiny amount and as a % over 4 to 6 games even smaller. We are not talking Fantasy Football here where it would matter.

Bottom line is that I'm looking for winning formula and the ferret did some serious winning last year I don't expect that again this year but .....

btw, it had the Bucs -3 in the SB when the line was +3.5

Comment

my main problem on the 'wrong stat' thing is that if he's in that much of a hurry to get them up he most likely is not proof reading them himself or better yet having someone else proof read them before they go up. If you type in 800 (yds rushing) instead of 80 yards it's going to cost some people some $ with the picks before it's 'caught'. this typo actually happened a few years ago with a software program.

also, my opinion on this isn't 'personal'. i feel if i'm paying for something i deserve a product that meets basic standards at least.

bill

Comment

Working...
                              X