NCAA Fighting ILLINI look to be in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Fighting ILLINI look to be in trouble

This year will be a real problem for Illinois after losing 5 players. The team seems to be looking at Nick Smith 7-2 center to step up to the plate and I can tell you that ain't going to happen.

Bill self leaving has left a huge recruiting gap in landing top prospects and about the only thing positive left is the guard position and young roger powell...

This season looks very dismal for Illinois...........

Every time the University of Illinois men's basketball team steps on the court this season, it faces the challenge of filling the void left after losing five players from last year's Big Ten Championship team. Illinois sophomore Nick Smith not only has to face this challenge with his team, but he also has some individual battles that he must fight alone.

Although many fans may not notice, the 7-foot, 2-inch, 240-pound center must overcome asthma in order to finish each game. He doesn't remember his condition becoming a problem until junior high, and so far, he has been able to keep it under control.

"It just slows me down a little bit more because I'm so much bigger than everyone else," Smith said. "Most people wouldn't even notice, but it makes me look a little worse because I'm just bigger and slower."

In addition to asthma, Smith will also struggle to maintain his weight as the season gets farther along. The Florida native worked hard to put on the pounds while sitting out his freshman year as a redshirt, and he admits that gaining weight usually isn't too difficult for him. The hard part is keeping it on during the course of a Division I basketball season. "I don't have too much of a problem gaining weight. It's keeping it on during the season that's hard for everybody," Smith said. "During the off-season, my weight's fine. I can get up to 245 or so, which would be fine with me for the season, but I can never keep it on because of all the running during the season. It's a long season."

The long basketball season also keeps Smith and his teammates extremely busy, but they do manage to find some free time to go watch a volleyball or football game every now and then.

"I don't do a whole lot between basketball and school work, but I try to hang out with the guys whenever I can," Smith said. "We go out every once in a while, and we do the things normal college kids do. We just don't get to do them as much."

Although Smith, the tallest player in University of Illinois basketball history, is one of the more experienced members of Coach Bill Self's young squad, he doesn't feel pressure to become a leader on the court.

"Obviously, Coach wants me to be one of the leaders, but he always looks to seniors more for leadership," Smith said. "I just try and go out and do the same things every day."

In order to make an impact, Smith is planning to become more of a physical presence inside, and he also plans to use his natural talents to benefit his team in any way he can.

"Being really, really tall doesn't hurt, and I think I'm fairly smart when it comes to basketball," Smith said. "I see things well, especially for a big guy, and I can walk without tripping over my own feet. Most guys my height might have a problem with that. I've also got good hands and good feet, and I can pass the ball and shoot fairly well, considering how big I am."

Smith also has a good idea of what role he needs to play, and he feels as if it has been passed down to him.

"Arch (Robert Archibald) came in and filled in when Grif (Marcus Griffin) left, and I guess I'm kind of trying to fill in where Arch left," Smith said. "So I'm kind of where Arch was, and we've got James (Augustine) and our other big guys to fill in where Damir (Krupalija) and Lucas (Johnson) played."

Although Smith's thoughts are focused on the season, he does have an idea of what he would like to do after graduating from the University of Illinois. The finance major will play basketball as long as possible and will also consider a career working with investments.

Smith's dedication and love for basketball is evident by the effort that he puts into his game. It plays such an important role in his life that he can't even imagine what he would do if he did not play. When describing what his life would be like without basketball, Smith said, "I'd probably go crazy because I wouldn't have anything to do. I'd just be so bored."

Carpet "The Carpet alway covers"
Working...
X