• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Free Service Winner

Free Service Play For Sunday September 28, 2003

(195) New England Patriots at (196) Washington Redskins 1:00 pm EST

Washington -3 (3 Units)

The Redskins look to rebound from their overtime loss to the Giants last weekend. They were down big and came back to send the game into the extra period so even though they lost, they have a lot to build on. Patrick Ramsey is developing into a gutsy performer, and Steve Spurrier's passing game has loads of potential. The Redskins have plenty going for them in this game. They'll be facing the hobbled Patriots at home. Aside from linebacker Rosevelt Colvin (fractured hip) and guard Mike Compton (broken foot), both out for the season, there are 11 Patriots on the weekly injury report. Linebacker Ted Johnson (broken foot) and nose tackle Ted Washington (broken leg) are out. Linebacker Mike Vrabel (broken arm) is doubtful. Special teams performer Je'Rod Cherry (leg), tackle Adrian Klemm (ankle), cornerback Ty Law (ankle), fullback Fred McCrary (knee), wide receiver David Patten (knee), tight end Fred Baxter (leg) and center Damien Woody (knee) are questionable. Quarterback Tom Brady (elbow), who was injured two weeks ago against the Eagles but was not listed on last week's injury report, is probable. The Pats didn’t practice in pads this week for fear of yet another injury. Regulars who double on special teams like Tedy Bruschi will see little if any service in the kicking game for the same reason. Above all, as many as 10 Pats will be required to step into unfamiliar roles. Reserves will start, starters will move to new positions, reserves will start at new positions. The potential for on-field chaos is limitless. While the loss of Washington will hurt the Patriots' run defense, their pass defense could cause them more problems against the Redskins this week. When Washington went down in last week's game with a broken leg, it was a devastating loss to an already beat up Patriots defense. His replacement, Jarvis Green, is quicker, but has nowhere near Washington's strength. The Patriots will get a quick realization of how bad a situation they are in when Redskins center Larry Moore handles Green single handedly. That allows both guards to move forward on running plays and reestablish a new line of scrimmage two yards further downfield. Expect the Redskins to have good success running the ball right up the gut this week. Tom Brady has looked brilliant at times this season, making great decisions, hitting tight spots in coverage and excelling with the play-action passing game. But at other times, more specifically in the opener vs. the Bills and for a good majority of the Jets' game, Brady has looked like he is in a fog. He has had the ball slip out of his hands on several occasions and is taking too long to get rid of the ball. The injuries might be too much for New England to overcome here. Even if some of the questionable players do play, they are not 100% and that will come back to bite them. The Redskins get it done before their big game at Philadelphia next week.
    Insider Edge Sports

Thanks for the write up. There is one thing that stops me from playing this one. I just read this article today. check it out.

Pats acquire Redskins' secrets
    Reed Holmes

The New England Patriots will have a little classified information when they take on the Washington Redskins this Sunday in D.C.

On Monday, the Pats claimed offensive lineman Wilbert Brown off waivers. Brown was a member of the Redskins up until last week.

After being picked up by the Pats, Brown told reporters he would tell the Patriots anything they want to know about the Redskins' offensive schemes.

"Why not? I'm a Patriot now,'' Brown said. "I'm not a Redskin. If they ask me stuff, I'll tell them...They want to throw the football. You've got to put pressure on the quarterback. There are a lot of weak points in the protection scheme. You get to the quarterback, you can disrupt everything...

"They want to get (wideout) Laveranues Coles the football as often as they can. A lot of things are designed specifically for him to get the football. It's like the other guys are just running decoy routes.''

Despite Brown's comments, Redskins' coach Steve Spurrier doesn't believe the lineman will betray his former team.

"I don't think Wilbert will tell them too much anyway. He really didn't want to go," he said.

A spokesperson for the Redskins told Covers.com that Spurrier will probably address the issue again after practice today.
    Brown, 26, was waived twice by the Redskins this month. On Friday, Sept. 12, he was waived by the 'Skins to make room for tight end Kevin Ware. Three days later, Ware was waived and Brown was re-signed. But then Brown was released for a second time three days after that.

Brown originally signed with the San Diego Chargers as a free agent rookie out of Houston following the 1999 NFL Draft. After making the team, the 6-foot-2, 320-pound lineman appeared in five games as a reserve. He remained with the Chargers in 2000 but did not appear in any games.

In 2001, Brown signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and was sent to the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe.

After signing as a free agent with the Redskins in July of 2001, Brown started nine of Washington's 14 games last season at guard and was a back up at center. He did not appear in any of Washington's games this season.

New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan claims Brown is a dirty player.

"It's just stupid. There's a certain way to play the game and there's a certain way you don't play the game. There's a difference between being aggressive and being out of control," said Strahan.

"One thing as a player, we all respect each other and we all understand you're out there to compete. I don't think anybody wants to go out there to legitimately try to hurt anybody else and just do something that's flat-out dirty, and that's what I ran into with him last year.''

That is enough for me to just kick back with a beer and watch this one.

natty

Comment

Working...
    X