View from the Window Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• View from the Window Perch

Rule #1, don’t let one team beat you. Rule #2, don’t make up rules after you lose. My officials posted a 6-3 thanks to turkey day, but it was bittersweet as the Carolina Panthers failed me yet again, shanking field goals to an ugly defeat where they won everywhere but the scoreboard. Hey everyone, I’m late this week and my soul is a bit battered, but I’ll weigh in on recent results and how they might impact this Sunday’s divisional battles.

Chicago +7 Green Bay

Green Bay historically pounds the Bears but I like this matchup better on the road. If there is value on this line, it favors the Bears.

Oakland +5.5 Pittsburgh

How could anyone lay 5.5 on the Steelers after all we have seen this season? Even if the Cardinals were in town??

Washington +3 NY Giants

Both teams are reeling, but something about that Hasselback kid makes me think the Redskins have the edge. Playing at Boston College, he probably knows something about bad weather. The sloppy Giants aren’t exactly what I want in a bad weather game, not that the pass-happy skins are made to order either. Take your chances here.

Cincinnati +3.5 Baltimore

I think there is a coaching edge for Cincinnati, and the Ravens won’t be out of my doghouse this year. I trust they will find a way to blow this game.

Dallas +5.5 Philadelphia

I guess since the Eagles “beat” the Panthers, I am to accept the Panthers as an 8-8 club and Philadelphia as the world beater they were a year ago. With the Panthers demoted and Dallas crushed on Thanksgiving, that also demotes the Cowboys and explains this line a bit. Its almost like the entire season never occured because of the results of last week. Me? I don’t buy it. Earlier this season, McNabb couldn’t beat the blitz and the Cowboys “zero” defense was the perfect exposition of this liability. Maybe things have changed since then, but I’m going to say that they haven’t. Take the points!

San Diego +3 Detroit

Take the 2nd half on whoever is leading this one. Trend be your friend.

Seattle +1.5 Minnesota

Matt’s receivers have started to do something new – catching the football! Wow, good concept there. Anyway, he’s now on fire and I’ll hold this in better regard because of the way he torched the league in December last season. There is no reason to think he can’t have 4 TDs and 400 yards against the Vikings. 51 over/under? That tells you something, doesn’t it!

Bucs +2 Saints

You must really hate money to bet New Orleans in December. Really, who thought having two defensive tackles banter back-and-forth on national cable was a good idea?

Texans +6 Jags

Jacksonville had a nice game last week and there pass defense looks vastly improved but I really don’t trust them covering 6.

Colts +3.5 Titans

Both teams lost last week but I think the Titans had their eye on this game all along. All go with them here, even though you know the Cotls don’t go down easy. Still looking to see if anyone can test that Titans secondary that was so weak last year, but seems revitalized with a stronger pass rush in 2003.

Cardinals +10 SF

A horrible road team goes to a strong home team here, but +10 is a lot to ask from the up-and-down 49ers. Here’s hoping the 49ers hired a new coach to run up the score better than Mooch did in 2002.

Dolphins +3 NE

In bad weather, big Ricky would seem to be a nice advantage and the Dolphins are on a roll behind Fielder. Knowing it is hard to bury a team in the NFL as NE could do, I’ll take my chances on the Fish.

Chiefs +3 Broncos

Eddie Kennison is an important player to the Chiefs? That’s news to me. I didn’t even know the Chiefs used wideouts. I think the Broncos have more at stake here and I still like Plummer behind center in Denver, even if he wasn’t the key factor last week. Plus in a battle of running backs, I’ll take the Broncos defense.

Jets +3 Bills

Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills, nor circles the Jobs section of the newspaper. This looks like a “trap” but I got to like the Jets here at +3.

Panthers –1 Falcons

Very difficult game to call. I’d say Carolina again, but I think I’ve grown weary of doing that. Maybe that is just what the cappers are hoping?

Rams +4 Browns

What do you want me to say, take the Browns??? They do well on defense rushing attempts largely because they let the opposing RB go to the house on every run. Faulk who?

BC Powder

what? all dogs? or am I reading you wrong.

luck to all

Comment

No just posting the line I am commenting on. I usually speak out of both sides of my mouth in this column, although occasionally I will say something like "Bet the Raiders, DEFINITELY!".

My official picks are posted at freesportsmonitor. I try to avoid making this a prediction column as best I can and just talk about some of the high-level factors I'm thinking about in making my choices to let the reader decide. Generally you will find my freesportsmonitor picks are exactly what you would expect after reading this column. Once in a while, I decide a game after the fact or my pick could change as events develop. For example, I just put up San Diego.

Rule #3, If you are going to suffer from losing, make sure the team you are wagering on is going to suffer from losing too! Misery loves comany.
      Last edited by TheBlackCat; 12-07-2003, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Going to take stock in the fact the Eagles pounded the Cowboys to maintain confidence in the Panthers in this game. -1 represents a good deal on the Panthers, with oddsmakers looking to fend off Vick money.

Comment

bc

keep up the well-written posts. as a professional lingerer, i must say this forum is somewhat lacking of late (read: this season).
          the rx is, on the other hand, really active.

luck to all

Comment

Working...
          X