Woodie...need you expertise on IOWA vs Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodie...need you expertise on IOWA vs Illinois

Iowa comes calling to Assembley Hall Saturday in a early morning game 11:00am CST.

Woodie I know that you follow Iowa close, wondering if you could tell me a couple things?

What style of Ball does Iowa play? ZONE , Man to Man, ???

Do they run the court well?

What does the long range shooting look like for Iowa?

I will do my own research on this game, I value your insight and
    appreciate you placing light into a dark corner for me........

The Illini are injured (a wounded bear) .....This game scares me....

Semper Fi,

Carpet

I'd be happy to add what I can to help you out.

I don't have much time tonight but I will post more on Friday morning. Should be a pretty good game.

See you Friday!

Comment

Carpet, Heres my quick look at Iowa so far this year and the answers to your questions.

Iowa usually plays a man defense with the exception of the last game at Minnesota where they played zone most of the game. Alford was quoted in saying that is the most zone he has ever played since he has been coaching. It caught Minnesota off guard but I think Illinois will be ready if they throw it at them. I really don't think they will use it much at Ilinois becasue of their long-range threats are better than Minnesota.

Iowa does not handle pressure to well and has turned the ball over a lot this year. In the past 2 games vs. Northwestern and Minnesota, they turned the ball over over 20 times in each game. Luckily against Minnesota they shot free throws well and shot well from the field.

Iowa's long range threats are Jeff Horner, who scored a career high last game and Brody Boyd who has been inconsistent this year.

I don't think they run the court all that well. Pierce does try to push it occasionally but turns it over often. They do rebound well with Sonderleiter and Reiner in the post.

Overall, I think if Illinois shows up ready to play, they will win by 12-14 points. Iowa is very inconsistent and is not as athletic as the Illini. If Illinois was playing better than they have showed in their past 2 games, I would be all over them.

I will still most likely play Illinois to bouce back at home in the Big 10 early game on Saturday. I antcipate a line of Illinois -8.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions. I have not looked at the paper yet today so I may add more later today. Good Luck.
      Last edited by woodee12; 01-16-2004, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Woodie thanks for the input...

Exceptional value.....

Illinois is a wounded Bear as a team and some one is going to pay. It is to early to hit the panic button, but this team has got to get it together.

Looking at the style of play, the number of turn overs and Iowa's injuries it looks to easy.

I am impressed with the Hawkeyes victory of Minnesota, it seems they are coming out of a slump after a great start.

The book has been very gracious lately with the inflated lines for Illinois.....(They see talent and expect delivery).

Illinois is 6-1 vs Iowa ATS last 7 games....

This team is seeking leadership. They lack intensity for 2 whole halfs. The only Big 10 team they have beat all year is Ohio State.
        I don't see Iowa laying down, they smell weakness and will pick it up a notch. You can bet Alford will throw the ZONE at Illinois and it will work.

All in all, Illinois has not has time to fix the problem.....

I will be back later with my play....Leaning Iowa and the points.....

Carpet

Comment

Reiner is out for Iowa for 6-8 weeks. Just saw that this morning.

I like Iowa plus the points in this one too.

Comment

Iowa covers but it was getting close there at the end. I was pretty nervous but a winner none the less.

I thought Minnesota would play OSU a lot closer then they did. I thought the 3 points was a gift.

I still liek Iowa State tonight a Colorado getting 6.

Comment

some good information in this thread. thought i would add some more.

1) i haven't seen iowa press at all this year unless in last minute of game. don't have the athletes/quickness.
              2) iowa's half court offense isn't very good. they have looked much better when they push the ball. horner is an average big ten point guard who lacks the quickness to get by the better defenders. he had a lot of turnovers in the last game which is uncharacteristic of him thought and only scored 2 points. pierre pierce who returned this year and is leading team in scoring is one of the few athletic players on the team who can get to the basket whenever he wants. problem is he draws a lot of offensive fouls and turns the ball over too much. his defense is pretty good, but he often gets the role of guarding the opposing teams best player.
              reiner is out now. sophmore center erik hansen got some quality playing time vs illinois and showed the dimension of being able to run the court and block or alter some shots. reiner or sondy do not bring this to the hawkeye team. hansen is not as effective as a rebounder as the other two though (he is 6'11 and about 150 soaking wet. gets pushed around)
              3) i anticipate to see the hawks play more zone AFTER the iowa state game. if the hawks sit in a 2-3 zone or 1-3-1 the cyclones with stitson and sullivan will launch 3's all day long.

vs iowa state the hawkeyes upset the cyclowns in ames last year in the NIT in a very close game. as die-hard hawk as i am the clowns are VERY TOUGH in hilton and should win.

also to note... pierce has been going to the hospital for back treatment but is still playing. nick dewitz, sophmore transfer, is rumored to be off the team and transfering again due to academics. mike henderson is still an unknown as to his availability in the 2nd semester.

if i see other iowa posts i'll try to chip in. good luck.

gottabet

Comment

Should be a good game on Wednesday in Ames. Iowa State have been better than expected this year. I am actually a cyclone grad myself but have a ton more Hawkeye press around here than Iowa State.

I will take a look at this game as thw week goes on and see. Ames is a very tough place to play for the visitors and I believe ISU has a pretty good winning streak going there.

Comment

Working...
                X