ESPN "Dream Job"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN "Dream Job"

Hey everyone, haven't posted in a long time but wanted to check in on ESPN's Dream Job Auditions for their 2nd and 3rd season. Some of you might remember me from my NFL column, some of you might rather not. But surely you can't help wondering, how would the Black Cat fare in open competition for a slot on ESPN?

Now, we all know ESPN is being beaten like a rented mule by the NFL channel and apparently their strategy? Give up! Let's face it, NFL has a monopoly of access and ESPN's only hope is to try and drum up support for their "other" sports. (In the case of dream job auditions, this seemed to include things like chess and dominos. Maybe its about time that we define sports by those things that are played by actual athletes and sport highlights of physical feats of greatness? Just a thought but there goes my shot at a reality space on the Olympic sport committee.)

So ESPN is focusing on acquiring a random person who has jeopardy-level knowledge of just about any random thing that might appear on their channel. At least, that's what I gleaned from their test of ultimate trivia hell that they delivered to order the candidates in relative sports knowledge. Of course, being a brainaic in sports should hardly be the end all/be all of the auditions so I didn't lose heart yet. After all, I would get an opportunity to flash my lbrilliant insights and knowledge in round table "discussions".

Or so I thought. Of course, mileage probably varies per group, but mine was...uhmmm, ridiculous? 20 minutes of people shouting at the top of their lungs ensued, for which purpose I could see none other than amusing highlight reels. Not only could I not hear anyone else, but I doubt anyone could hear me -- and I have a booming voice. It did give me an opportunity to sing "Like a Virgin" by Madonna, so now I managed to try out for two reality shows at once. Rather than give an opportunity to show the tests did not accurately glean my depths of sports knowledge, the moderator seemed to use it as an excuse to ignore the backend, focusing most of his attention on the trivia wizards at the front of the group. In the end, it didn't matter because no one could hear a damn word I said anyway. It was curious that the loud -- and probably psychotic -- female of the group that spurred much of the anarchy made the initial cuts, where the infamous black cat (albeit in his civilian identity) did not.

So now I feel like one of those reality losers ready to put up the double fingers and scream F-YOU. Of course, its not all that bad but it was a bizarre experience, to be kind. I must admit I don't see how any of this is really conducive to finding a true professional to add to their ranks. Maybe it was wrong of me to presume that was their goal, although the many decked out in their finest Italian suits probably felt the same. ESPN continues to search for "knowledge of all, masters of not" type guys whose best attributes are a couple one-liners. Meanwhile, I'll be content to flip on the NFL channel and be bombarded with the one and only sport I truly love, PRO FOOTBALL! Now, when is the NFL channel going to have their Dream Job auditions?

Welcome Back. I love reding your stuff weekly and look forwrad to your picks and insight.

I can see this forum getting back what it once had--great cappers sharing information.

See you in a few weeks when the pre-season kicks off.

Comment

Although "View from the Window Perch" and its overview of the entire NFL past & future will remain dead, I will definitely post in the spirit of "more quality, less quantity" at random times this season.

And -- BTW -- I never left, its just the NFL offseason. I haven't been actively following hockey the last couple years due to new time constraints that require diapers and bottle feedings.

Comment

Working...
      X