WRs take center stage in week 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WRs take center stage in week 1

It would be hard enough to cover Moss, Owens, Harrison, and Holt in 2003. Under the new rules, one might have reason to question if it'll be downright impossible.

The Pats game came and went with more or less a "thud", with Harrison barely registering on the stat sheet. Lost in the criticism of grappling cornerbacks of the Superbowl teams is the simple fact: these corners are still among the best in the league. Of all corners, you can expect the Patriots and Panthers will be least effected by the rule change.

Its the rest of the league you should worry about.

Much as we saw the Colts blow some coverages last night, the Packers secondary coach will probably not sleep too well. But if he'd like, he could call the Cardinals coach or the Cowboys coach and be confident they will be wide awake with worry. Each preseason, the Dallas Cowboys undertake a ritual of cutting their starting QB or undermining the confidence of their starting cornerback so that he quits football. Nothing has changed. There should be a prop on whether or not a corner gets fired from the Cowboys on Tuesday. And if the Eagles defense happens to stop scoring on the Giants offense, the Giants cornerbacks might also need to take the field.

Still, one message that may have emerged last night is...you really couldn't stop these guys before so nothing has changed much. I never saw a guy close enough to Randy Moss to foul him anyway. It could be some of the swankier receivers that truly benefit. Your Wayne Chrebet-types that can run good stop and gos and don't have quite the size of the prototype wideout. Any team that, say, had "smurfs" might also benefit.

Hype meets reality tv when Vick takes the field this weekend. It never fails to amaze me how a guy can have an outing like Vick had last weekend and the line doesn't budge at all. Similarly, the fact that the Colts didn't win by 40 points last night due to the new rules should have pushed lines in favor of some of the more defensive minded teams like the Panthers. I doubt you'll see the line budge, though. Why is it that lines don't move the way stocks due? When INTC has big earnings in a quarter, the whole sector moves, but this never seems to happen on the sports market. Why? The fact that the Patriots survived Harrison should hvae moved the line against all the big WR teams.

Count me as one of the holders of Tennessee at a PK that got cancelled due to the hurricane. Let me tell you, it feels like getting robbed by the bookie when that wager gets cancelled and now the line has moved to 3/3.5. I know it isn't dirty, but it sure feels like they got away with one. Between that and last night's push (for us lucky few), the season is off to an ominous start.

What does the Cat like best? Jets, KC, SF top the list. I like the Eagles but would like them better if Warner wasn't looking accurate -- or better, wasn't there in the first place. I don't know how you figure Minnesota doesn't cover a line that should be 8.5, but I hate to underestimate the Tuna. Bennet being out gives me a bit of pause. Take the previous 2 on the $$$-line and it'll be alright.
Working...
X