X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Alford's Final Four Picks

STEVE ALL FOUR ...

By LENN ROBBINS

March 29, 2005 -- Iowa coach Steve Alford awoke yesterday morning as the most wanted basketball mind in a the nation. When the horn sounded after the Michigan State epic 94-88 double overtime triumph over Kentucky to cap the most exhilarating weekend in Elite Eight history, Alford allowed himself a second to smile:

Michigan State, Louisville, Illinois and North Carolina were headed to the Final Four. Alford's Hawkeyes are the only team in the nation to have played all four.

"How much should I be charging for the week?" Alford said with a laugh yesterday. "I guess no one can accuse us of not playing a tough schedule."

If last weekend is any indication, next weekend could showcase the most thrilling Final Four ever. Louisville (33-4) will meet Illinois (36-1) in one. Michigan State (26-6) and North Carolina (31-4) will face off in the other. Here's how Alford sees the games shaking out.

The Louisville-Illinois will ultimately be decided by two factors, said Alford, who played on Indiana's 1987 national championship squad: The team that has a better night shooting 3's.

"Louisville is doing the best job of scoring of any team in the nation right now," said Alford. "I'd still try to make them beat me inside."

The X-factor is Roger Powell, an unsung power forward who's averaged 9.5 points and five rebounds in the tourney. If Louisville's guard trio of Taquan Dean, Larry O'Bannon and Francisco Garcia of The Bronx can match Dee Brown, Luther Head and Deron Williams, then Powell, a senior, could give Illinois an edge over Louisville freshman Juan Palacios.

"You've got to get up on Illinois' guards, not extend them but get into them at 22, 23 feet and make the bounce the ball," said Alford. "And you've got to keep Powell under control."

Michigan State against North Carolina is a head game as well as a personnel matchup. Alford believes the pressure is off these Spartans, who became the first Tom Izzo-led group to beat Duke.

UNC, despite rebounding from an 8-20 season when its seniors were freshmen in 2001-02, has no room to relax. The Heels were a Top 5 preseason pick, with at least four potential NBA players.

"Carolina has incredible depth and talent," said Alford. "They keep sending guys in and you'd swear they haven't subbed."

But the Tar Heels have a fatal flaw. There is no backup to junior point guard Raymond Felton. When he fouled out against Villanova, Roy Williams admitted his team panicked. When he rolled an ankle against Wisconsin, the Heels twice lost a lead.

"He's the one guy that takes them to the next level," said Alford. "They are not a national championship contender without him."

Michigan State may not be able to attack Felton because the Spartans point guard, Drew Neitzl, is a freshman. But the Spartans have other ways of disrupting the Tar Heels.

"Not many teams can run the floor like Michigan State," said Alford. "They can run a lot of people at you. But they have to do a good job of finishing because Carolina will come right back at you. Transition defense, even after made baskets, will be key. These are the two best transition teams in the country."

So who plays Monday night? Alford likes his Big Ten counterparts, Illinois and Michigan State. The winner? Don't ask.

Thas the best insight he has had all year.

Comment

steve alford??? steve alford??? is this the same steve alford that played for indiana in the late 80s?? and was the sharpest FT shooter around?? only memory of steve alford i have is having a total bet on an indiana game and needing 1 more point to cover as i was 1/2 point shy with less than 4 seconds to play. indiana inbounded the ball up about 8 points so i was basically toast knowing there would be no need for any more shots, BUT WAIT!!!!!! some dufus knocked alford over on the inbounds play and a foul was called!!! i was about to have the most prolific FT shooter of all time on the line to save me...but this piece of turd proceeded to brick both (including an airball). id be willing to bet you could count on one hand the number of times from junior high school-college this guy missed BOTH FTs.

Comment

hart attack:

Leading Iowa to its fourth straight winning season and fourth consecutive post-season appearance, Steve Alford in 2004-05 is in his sixth season at the University of Iowa. The Hawkeyes posted a 16-13 overall record in 2004, including a 9-7 mark in Big Ten play. Iowa earned sole possession of fourth place in the Big Ten race and advanced to the National Invitation Tournament to conclude the season. Alford has posted an 89-71 (.556) record at Iowa and his 13-year record as a head coach stands at 245-148 (.629).

Comment

and....???? that is why he bricked those free throws in '87?

Comment

Working...
          X