Giants / Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants / Jets

Quarterbacks can’t worry about their offensive line.

Or at least that`s New York Giants starting quarterback Eli Manning`s mindset every time he goes under center.

“You can`t be worrying about who`s in front of you blocking,” Manning told New York’s Newsday. “My focus has to be downfield, and I have to have faith that the line will get it blocked up.”

Manning might not have so much faith in his protection when he looks at the Giants’ injury report for their preseason game against the New York Jets as 4–point favorites Friday.

For starters, the team will be without center Shaun O’Hara after he injured his knee in the team’s 17-0 win over the Kansas City Chiefs as a 3-point favorite last Thursday. The 6-foot-3, 306-pound O’Hara may not return until the team’s opener Sept. 10.

Starting tackle Luke Petitgout has not practiced all week because of re-occurring back spasms and is also expected to be out, while starting guard Chris Snee (knee) and backup lineman Rich Seubert (toe).

But surprisingly the Giants don’t seem overly concerned about the injuries heading into Friday’s game. The main reason for the optimism is the presence of veteran Grey Ruemager and Bob Whitfield who will fill in for O’Hara and Petitgout and have 22 years of NFL experience between them.

“We talked about this depth when we got up here,” said Snee. “If a guy goes down, we`re all comfortable with whoever goes in there. Grey`s played a lot of years, as has Bob. We don`t lose a step.”

However, Covers Expert Ted Sevransky is a little more tentative when assessing the team’s offensive line concerns.

“I don’t want to bet my money on a team having issues on their offensive line,” says the professional handicapper. “This has the potential to become a very serious deal.”

The Giants second unit has accounted for 356 yards and 14 points through the first two games, both wins and covers by the Giants.

“They have shown an ability to move the ball which shows they are deep” says Sevransky. “But a team like the Giants that has a young quarterback, they need their protection to be at its best. And like I said I don’t want to bet a team with uncertainty on the offensive line.”

Oddsmakers have set Friday’s total at 35 ½ points.
Working...
X