Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon1952 - CFB Week 10 and NFL Week 10 - Early thoughts

CFB Week 10

Rutgers +6.5 vs Louisville - The only reason Louisville beat West Virginia was because West Virginia beat themselves with rally-killing penalties, poor kick-off/punt coverage and costly turnovers..... 6 fumbles with 3 being lost and 7 penalties for 68 yds. The Mountaneers had a 5 min time of possession advantage, 318 yds rushing, 540 total yds of offense and 24 first downs. Rutgers is at 8-0, will be playing at home, has a better defense than West Virginia...they've only given up 7 TD's in 8 games and an average of only 8 pts per game... and have had 2 weeks to prepare. And are getting 6.5 pts!
    Maryland -2.5 vs Miami - Miami at 5-4 and still sitting on those 5 pathetic wins vs Florida A&M, Houston, North Carolina, Florida Int. and Duke. They've lost every game against quality competition. And mayland at 7-2 is pretty quality competition right now. In their 5 conference games they have the 4 pt loss at Georgia Tech and then reeled off 4 wins in a row vs Virginia, N.C. State, Florida St and Clemson. They are a perfect 5-0 at home this year. Miami needs a win to become bowl eligible and it may be tough with a road game at Virginia next week followed by a home game vs Boston College. Miami is coming off of 3 very tough games in a row and will have to dig deep to win here.
    Indiana +19 vs Michigan - I've won going against Michigan the past 2 weeks. The closer it gets to the showdown with Ohio St the less they seem to cover by. Michigan, at 10-0, hasn't won by this much since game 3 of the season. They didn't come close to covering at home against Northwestern and Ball St. The Wolverines are coming off of 3 straight home games so this is their first road game in a while also. They'll have to finish off on the road too as next week's game is at Ohio St. Michigan will want to be extra careful in this game so that they can go into Ohio St healthy. Indiana was playing pretty well until they hit that buzzsaw at Minnesota last week but they have scored 76 pts in their last 2 home games vs Iowa and Michigan St so they certainly have the ability to cover this considering the circumstances for Michigan. This is a dangerous spot for the Wolverines.
    Wake Forest +7 @ Florida St - The Seminoles at 5-4 still don't have a win over a really quality team with losses to Clemson, N.C. State, Boston College and Maryland. I guess you could say the same about 8-1 Wake but they did beat Boston College last week holding them to only 14 pts, and they aren't the favorite here either so they don't have to win...just stay close, which their defense should allow.
    Tennessee +5.5 @ Arkansas - Tennessee's 2 losses have been by 1 to Florida and by 4 to LSU, and they led in both of those games late into the 4th Q. Can't say much bad about the Razorbacks since USC but the Vols have the ability to win this one outright and they're getting lots of points. I'll buy a half point for 6.
    Houston -5 @ SMU - SMU hasn't really beat anybody tough and Houston is a big step up in quality. Houston is about an eyelash of being 10-0 and whooped up on a pretty good Tulsa team last week by 17 pts!
    Iowa St +8 @ Colorado - These are two pretty darn even teams. This should be a 3 pt spread at the most. Both teams are a little banged up with the big one being RB Hicks for the Cyclones but how Colorado can be expected to beat anyone by 9 is beyond me.
    Northwestern +22.5 vs Ohio St - Michigan finally on deck for Ohio St who peeked last week in an ordinary looking 17-10 win at Illinois. They travel again this week to Northwestern whose 'D' has stepped it up a bit in the past 2 weeks in holding Michigan and Iowa to a combined 24 pts. Like Michigan, if they were smart they'd get a lead and then coast.
    California -13.5 @ Arizona - Arizona has got a pretty good defense but not sure it can stop Cal's 37.5 pt average in PAC 10 games alone. Arizona, on the other hand, is sporting a whopping 13 pt per game average in PAC 10 games and have only reached 300 yds of toal offense once in 6 tries. In fact they've been held under 200 yds twice. Cal has won their 6 PAC 10 games so far by scores of 28, 28, 21, 18, 7 and 14. The only game they didn't win by at least this spread was the OT game vs Washington.
    Texa Tech +8.5 @ Oklahoma - If Texas Tech doesn't turn the ball over like it did against Missouri and Colorado they will cover in this game and maybe even pull an upset. It should be run vs pass and Oklahoma can be vulnerable to the pass as Oregon has shown when they torched them for 343
    yds. and 34 pts!
    N.C. State +17 @ Clemson - Clemson is out of synch in the past 2 games (both losses) and their coach has said that QB Proctor is in a slump. N.C. State is only 3-6 but all of their losses but one have been by 8 pts and under.
    Oregon +7.5 @ USC - USC only beat Washington St and Washington by 6 each, Arizona St by 7 and lost to Oregon St. (we'll throw out the Stanford game ) ... now they get an even tougher opponent possibly? USC hasn't been playing well enough to beat a team like this by more than a TD.

NFL Week 10

I'm only going to pick 2 games this week in the NFL.

New Orleans +4.5 @ Pittsburgh - I keep going with Pittsburgh thinking they're going to snap out of it and they haven't. They've looked absolutely pathetic the past 2 weeks....at Oakland, a team everyone is pounding and then you figure back home against Denver they will step it up and save face after a 2 game losing streak.....and they don't. They haven't had a 100 yd rushing game in 3 games, Rothlisburger is making mistake after mistake, especially in the red zone and the defense can't come up with a big play. They've had 13 TO's in the past 3 games! They are 2-6 both SU and ATS. On the other hand, New Orleans at 6-2 both SU and ATS, continues to surprise and there is no way they don't cover in this game.
    Tampa Bay +9 @ Carolina - Carolina has done nothing to warrant being 9 pt favorites. They are at 4-4 SU and 2-5-1 ATS, their 4 wins have been by 2, 3, 8 and 2, and they are getting outscored on average by 3 pts per game.... and they are only averaging 17 pts per game. These two have already met with the result a 26-24 win by Carolina.

[COLOR=Red]Arizona DiamondBacker[/COLOR]

Comment

Nice write ups once again. I think I'm gonna follow your lead with most, especially the NFL. Nfl hsa been real rough on me, I think only playing two games would be my best bet. Good luck

Comment

I like your Cal play.

GL!!!

Comment

Thanks guys
          Off to a good 2-0 start with Rutgers and UTEP so far. Hopefully it will continue.
          I'm adding one more NFL.

Baltimore -7 @ Tennessee - Since I decided to go with this one for my NFL game of the week contest pick I figured I'd make it official. This will be the third stellar defense that Tennessee has faced. The others and the results....lost to San Diego 40-7, lost to Jacksonville 37-7. A little extra incentive with McNair facing his old team in a very familiar venue. Tough spot for Vince Young vs this QB and this defense and pts should be very hard to come by. Tennessee's defense, on the other hand, the worst in the NFL and Baltimore's resurgent offense should be able to put about 4 TD's up there for something like a 28-10 win.

Comment

Awesome write-up as always Dragon....but I beg to differ on two games.

USC vs Oregon........SC, as we call 'em out here, sleepwalked through their meaningless early schedule thinking that merely showing up would get the job done......They wound getting their hats handed to them in the Oregon State game (which they almost won anyway) and that game eventually woke them up.......Granted, they beat a pitiful Stanford team last week, and this was no surprise....but they played some of the early games with a lot of their starters injured......This is still one of the most powerful teams in the nation, and the way that the currently top-ranked BCS teams are falling by the wayside on a daily basis, these guys are still in line for a major bowl berth............Back at home, favored by slightly more than a touchdown, I look for these boys to make a big statement on Saturday, all the while waiting for the real games coming up against Cal, Notre Dame and of course, UCLA........It's now or never for the men of Troy............If they can find a way to hold on the football Saturday, this game could get ugly very early.

NFL: Pittsburgh vs. New Orleans........Being the skeptic that I am, I like the Steelers for all of the reasons that you don't......It sounds stupid, but I agree with you on all of the things you say about this game.......So why then are the Steelers favored in this game the way they are?...........Like you said, "there's no way the Saints don't cover in this game".....Exactly, but isn't that the way everyone is thinking?..........These things just don't pan out this way........Watch everyone be talking about how Pittsburgh can still make the playoffs after they destroy New Orleans on Sunday...........It's been a wierd season...........Good Luck.
            ;)

Comment

Aw Boonie.....diss anything but not my contest pick bro! I've got to catch the Capper!
              And ya see, I'm moving to Oregon soon so I figure I've gotta start rooting for the Ducks instead of the Trojans. The Ducks may just be glad to get out of the rain though as they've got over 10 inches up there since Nov 1

Good luck to you too....I think we're about due

Comment

Ive lost more money on Pitt in the last two years then any other team. Just when you think there not going to cover they do. I never get on the right side of there games. Good luck with that one.
                jpehl

Comment

Hey man I didn't mean to diss your contest pick, heck I didn't even notice that.......but hey, I suck at college football anyway, so my disagreeing with you might actually be a pat on the back!! .......It's just one drunken man's opinion anyway, so good luck to you in the contest ............I'm busy trying to figure out some money-makers for tomorrow.........
                  ;)

Comment

Working...
                  X