Whats with all the "Play of the YEAR" and "LOCKS"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats with all the "Play of the YEAR" and "LOCKS"

Everyone knows that the best way to kill your picks.

krc

Attention whores

Comment

That's the problem. Not everyone does know it.

There's two reasons for all the game of the year talk you see on the internet.

1) Some guys actually buy into it. They stumbled onto the net within the last couple of years and became interested in betting on sports. They float around all the forums and see these phony services hyping their games of the year, games of the month, lock of the century, whatever and think that's the way it's done. Thank Mike Warren, Jim Feist, Jim Hurely etc. for that. They started all that crap 30 years ago.

2) A phenomenon on internet posting forums for as long as I have been observing sites like this one and others, is for avergage Joe Bettors to come info forums and hype a game they like. They'll say how they are loading up and betting all kinds of money on the game. They'll go to extremes to put themselves out on a limb. Why? A couple of reasons. One, 9 out of 10 times, they probably have 20 or 50 bucks on the game, if anything. To increase their own thrill on the game, to further satisfy the rush they get, they'll hype it up in the forums. That turns their little $50 bet into much more now because afterall, their posting forum names reputation is on the line!

For those that want to learn. There is no such thing as a game of the year if you're an educated, sharp, player. Or if you want to be an educated, sharp player.

Might you risk more than your average wager on a game? Sure. Perhaps 2 units instead of one unit and not very often at that.

Certainly no legitimate winning player would risk 20 or 30% or more of his bankroll on any one game. If there was a school for sportsbetting, that point would be covered in first grade.

Think about it, you have three "games of the year" and lose them all, yet hit 60% over the course of the year, you could STILL find yourself losing money because of the way you managed it.

Remember something. Lot's of people can pick more winners than losers. There are plenty of guys that are like sports encyclopedias. Ex coaches. Ex Players. Broadcasters. Whatever. But unless you know HOW to bet your money, you will never win.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky414
        That's the problem. Not everyone does know it.

There's two reasons for all the game of the year talk you see on the internet.

1) Some guys actually buy into it. They stumbled onto the net within the last couple of years and became interested in betting on sports. They float around all the forums and see these phony services hyping their games of the year, games of the month, lock of the century, whatever and think that's the way it's done. Thank Mike Warren, Jim Feist, Jim Hurely etc. for that. They started all that crap 30 years ago.

2) A phenomenon on internet posting forums for as long as I have been observing sites like this one and others, is for avergage Joe Bettors to come info forums and hype a game they like. They'll say how they are loading up and betting all kinds of money on the game. They'll go to extremes to put themselves out on a limb. Why? A couple of reasons. One, 9 out of 10 times, they probably have 20 or 50 bucks on the game, if anything. To increase their own thrill on the game, to further satisfy the rush they get, they'll hype it up in the forums. That turns their little $50 bet into much more now because afterall, their posting forum names reputation is on the line!

For those that want to learn. There is no such thing as a game of the year if you're an educated, sharp, player. Or if you want to be an educated, sharp player.

Might you risk more than your average wager on a game? Sure. Perhaps 2 units instead of one unit and not very often at that.

Certainly no legitimate winning player would risk 20 or 30% or more of his bankroll on any one game. If there was a school for sportsbetting, that point would be covered in first grade.

Think about it, you have three "games of the year" and lose them all, yet hit 60% over the course of the year, you could STILL find yourself losing money because of the way you managed it.

Remember something. Lot's of people can pick more winners than losers. There are plenty of guys that are like sports encyclopedias. Ex coaches. Ex Players. Broadcasters. Whatever. But unless you know HOW to bet your money, you will never win.

I Agree

Great Info !!!

krc

Comment

it`s called entertainment..no one listens anyway.

Comment

you can wager 20% when its a reserve account...but people like rocko don`t have that...shouldn`t put your eggs in one basket

Comment

Originally posted by CapperMaster
              it`s called entertainment..no one listens anyway.

"Some guys actually buy into it. They stumbled onto the net within the last couple of years and became interested in betting on sports. They float around all the forums and see these phony services hyping their games of the year, games of the month, lock of the century"

krc

Comment

nothing is ever *guaranteed*...I didn`t put out a *game of the year* for people to jump on it..just entertaiinment.

Comment

((( I didn`t put out a *game of the year* for people to jump on it )))

WTF

krc

Comment

A reserve account?

I'm sorry. You'll need to explain that one to me. Is that not real money? Is $5000 of reserve money somehow any different than $5000 of your other money? Don't they both equal the same amount?

You can name it whatever you'd like. But a 21% of bankroll loss is a 21% of bankroll loss regardless of the name you give it.

You are correct about one thing. I don't have a "reserve account". As a matter of fact, after 25 years in this business, I have never heard the term applied to a bank roll.

You keep sticking your foot in your mouth and exposing yourself son.

"AKRON +13 over UCONN...GUARANTEED" (the line was 16 at the time)

"if they want to give me 16 POINTS...I will defer from my original tripling of my highest wager..to betting 5 times my highest wager"

"but let the dummy money like rocko`s keep goin to UCONN..that`s why amateurs like him can not profit from handicapping. I didn`t need the 16 points...but..I`ll take it..."

"I wouldn`t wager 5 times my highest wager on any game, unless its a *play of the year*..."

"I can even do 35% and still come out smelling like roses"

"I only have a few *game of the year`s"

My goal is to prevent someone new to sportsbetting coming into a forum like this, seeing posts like yours, and getting into trouble. It happens over and over.

Betting on sports can be fun for newbies IF they learn how to go about it properly.

At the same time, it can ruin peoples lives if they come into a forum and blindly follow someones irresponsible, nonsensical guidlines.

I'm not here to bash you. But if you want to keep posting misguided information, I'm going to keep correcting it.

If I stopped one person who didn't know any better from making a wager he couldn't afford to lose on Akron, it was well worth my time.

Your friend "ROCKO"

Comment

krc - never jump on anyone else`s selections...YO Rocko..I have 3 accounts...yes, a *reserve* account IS a bankroll overall...but its placed into a seperate account for certain games..if you only use ONE account, good for you. I never once said that people should use my selections, nor do I advocate putting a lot of cash into one game. Like I said, my primary account is for my top plays for the week and my secondary account is for the big games that deserve more attention. I use a 7/4 system, which works for me some people like *units*,which works for them. As far as people coming to this forum and buying into a selection, they shouldn`t have an account to begin with. If I should choose to put down 21% on a game, I will.

Comment

Capper Master.

Please allow me to introduce myself, they call
                        me Carpet, I have been a member here since
                        1998, could be the oldest still kicking here...

I usually dont respond to such threads

In this world BW WORLD we dont list our
                        plays as GOY or any other HYPE content.
                        It is usually a kiss of death.

Dont care two hoots about your bank roll
                        just telling you Capper this is a room full of
                        Veterans and you should approach as such
                        not with GOY banter.

Keep your insight and picks coming
                        only approach with a dull roar

Carpet

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Carpet
                            Capper Master.

Please allow me to introduce myself, they call
                            me Carpet, I have been a member here since
                            1998, could be the oldest still kicking here...

I usually dont respond to such threads

In this world BW WORLD we dont list our
                            plays as GOY or any other HYPE content.
                            It is usually a kiss of death.

Dont care two hoots about your bank roll
                            just telling you Capper this is a room full of
                            Veterans and you should approach as such
                            not with GOY banter.

Keep your insight and picks coming
                            only approach with a dull roar

Carpet
                            Carpet..a lot of people in here are NOT veterans..which becomes more or less the problem..someone like Rocky has the idea that their is only 1 way to approach handicapping..I learned this *game* from a very well respected individual..to say *professional* handicappers do not wager a high percentage of a bankroll is ridiculous...You will find guys that wager a $100 per unit, most games averaging 5 - 10 units, but its not unusual to find a game with 50 - 100 units...managing money is the golden rule in handicapping and I`m sure everyone is aware of that. Taking calculated risk can be a great reward.

Setting things straight. I was taught to manage money this way. Primary account..make a certain level of profit..dump some into secondary account...secondary account is used for risk plays...reach a certain level of profit..dump into your *discretionary* account for personal use...Primary account is only for wagering 4-7% on all bets..secondary can be used as you see fit........now why is that a bad system? or why is it even questionable? I`ve been doing it this way for years and never had a problem profiting.

Akron was a flop...game of the year because all the signs were there..I don`t apologize for that..does this loss hurt me? yes and no...for the short term it does, long run it doesn`t....how often have you seen me call any game a *game of the year*?

Comment

Wait.

I need to add another quote to your foot in mouth list.

"You will find guys that wager a $100 per unit, most games averaging 5 - 10 units, but its not unusual to find a game with 50 - 100"

Do you realize how ridiculous this is? Yeah, you'll find guys that do this. Sure. But they are all flat broke.

You have a guy who's largest wager is $1000 betting a game for $10000!!!!!

Assuming his 5-10 unit parameters are within proper money management guidelines, figure his 10 unit play is equivelent to 10% of his bankroll. Even 10% of a bankroll is a little high for one play. But 10% of a $10000 banroll would be $1000. Making his 100 unit play his entire bankroll!

Let's be clear here. The ONLY place you see a moron playing 50 or 100 units is if they are dumb enough to follow TV TOUTS like Kelso Sturgeon or any of the other TV handicappers who suck the blood out of innocent, unknowing squares year after year.

I hope that whoever taught you money management didn't teach too many others.

Respected?

Let me guess. He runs a sports service. Which of course makes him a "professional", right?

You're comments are loaded with terms that could only have come from the sports service industry. Which means their marketing and bullshit has done it's job. It influenced you like it does so many others.

Let's also be clear about something else.

You lump "handicapping" in with money management. They are two different animals.

There are many ways to handicap games. Yes. That is true.

There are not many CORRECT ways to manage your money.

You ask what's wrong with your system.

I will be glad to tell you.

Wagering 4 to 7% of your bank roll per play is fine. As a matter of fact, that would fit within proper money management guidlines for football. It's actually based on the Kelly Criterion - varying your bet size according to win probability and expected payoff .

Your mistake is these 21 to 36% plays. and thinking a successful player would risk 50 to 100 units when his avaerage wager is 5-10.

There are two schools of thought on proper money management. One is flat betting. Betting the same fixed unit amount per game. The other is a variation of the Kelly system. Neither is wrong.

Since your method most closely resembles the Kelly system, the proper way to manege your money would be to stay within the 4-7% range. Since you pick so many winners, when you reached a certain level of profit, you would take a divendend from your bankroll. This would keep your wager size from getting too large. You would then drop it down until you reached another profit plateu at which point you would take another dividend. These dividends would come out of your bankroll for you to spend as you wish.

Drop the 21 to 36% nonsense.

Stick around son. We'll turn you into a pro yet.

Hugs and kisses
                              xoxoxo
                              Rocko

Comment

Working...
                              X