Okl/Okl. st. any clues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okl/Okl. st. any clues?

Just wondering everbody's thoughts tomorrow.

Wow, no responses! Let me start the ball rolling. I think Okl st. has an excellent chance to upset them. I thought the big twelve at one time was the best conference in the nation but after further review I still think the SEC will prevail. The big twelve is totally incapable of holding anyone under 20 points, which in the end will be their undoing. I've heard the arguements that good defense could be misconstrued as bad offense. I suggest that good defense wins championships! I have no doubts that Oklahoma, Texas have great teams, but against Florida or Alabama they will get their ass kicked. This is rivalry week so anything can happen. But as a bama fan even Auburn and florida scare me way more than Oklahoma and Texas do. So that being said, it really doesn't matter who wins this game or who the bss (bull shit system) picks out of that confernce, like Chris Collingsworth said on espn's pardon the interuption "The national championship game is bama and florida", the rest is bss!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Oklahoma State +7.5 (bodog)

Everyone watched Oklahoma destroy Texas Tech 65-21 last week, but if the Sooners feel that beating Oklahoma State in Stillwater will be a cakewalk, they have another thing coming. After all, the Cowboys have been just as good at home as the Sooners, as State is a perfect 6-0 in this stadium while outscoring their opponents by an average score of 52.8 to 20.8! The Cowboys also average an unbelievable 570.5 total yards per game here, and as the Texas Longhorns proved earlier this season, the Sooners are vulnerable defensively vs. teams with big play capability. Plus, the Sooners cannot possibly match the intensity they displayed vs. Texas Tech last week. I give Oklahoma State a very good chance of dashing the Sooners hopes of a national championship with a possible upset.

Comment

Thanks for your insight. (The boys). I have only handicapped on this site for a couple of years, but have followed it for many years. I totally respect your picks. I don't even pretend that I can handicap as well as you, but I can say over the last few years I have made a good secondary income on this site as well as others. But that is thanks to you and the other handicappers that are out there. I totally agree! Oklahoma st. is dynamic at home. That's the thing, can anyone in the big twelve win on the road? As far as the big game goes, they have all been won at home. Still an SEC fan, but good luck to all!!!!

Comment

Not sure what it is about Oklahoma but they continue to fly under the radar for some reason. Nobody seems to take them seriously, kind of like USC. Texas, Texas Tech and even Missouri have gotten more press than the Sooners it seems. They beat a decent Cincinnati team by 26, an awesome TCU team by 25, a halfway decent Nebraska team by 34 and destroyed the Red Raiders by 44. They hung with Texas on the road and the game was closer than the score would indicate.
          Oklahoma St has played 3 games against good teams and have gone 1-2 in those games. The rest of their wins are against lousy teams. Even with a tougher schedule the Sooners are outscoring the Cowboys by almost 20 pts per game. Oklahoma destroyed the Cowboys last year 49-17.

There is one big difference though, I'll admit. All but 1 of the games that Oklahoma has played against decent competition have been at home, and the other was neutral (sort of). The only one that wasn't at home they lost. Oklahoma St. has had to travel for every one of their tough games. And last year's match-up with the Sooners was on the road. So they finally get a tough one at home where they are undefeated! Pretty scary...let's see what powerhouses they have knocked off..... Washington St (109th in total defense, 118th in total offense), Houston (98th in total defense), Missouri St (Div 1-AA), Troy (Sunbelt Conference), Texas A&M (113th in total defense), Baylor (93rd in total defense) and Iowa St (112th in total defense). Wow, I would hope they would be undefeated! Those rankings are out of just 119 schools, so lots of bottom dwellers there, at least on defense.
          Just for informational purposes, some national rankings.
          Oklahoma -
          3rd total offense
          3rd passing offense (353 ypg, 43 TD's, 7 INT's.)
          20th rushing offense (203 ypg, 35 TD's)
          1st scoring offense (52.6 ppg, 81 TD's)
          56th total defense
          12th rushing defense (101.8 ypg, 17 TD's)
          97th passing defense (249 ypg, 14 TD's, 14 INT's)
          54th scoring defense (23.4 ppg, 34 TD's)
          1st turnover margin (+18)
          1st (tie) sacks (38 sacks, 3.45 per game)
          3rd tackles for loss (8.23 per game)

Oklahoma St. -
          7th total offense
          48th passing offense (231 ypg, 21 TD's, 7 INT's)
          8th rushing offense (261 ypg, 34 TD's)
          7th scoring offense (41.6 ppg, 60 TD's)
          76th total defense
          26th rushing defense (118 ypg, 12 TD's)
          105th passing defense (259 ypg, 23 TD's, 11 INT's)
          56th scoring defense (23.8 ppg, 35 TD's)
          24th turnover margin (+7)
          102nd (tie) sacks - (11 sacks, 1.18 per game)
          93rd tackles for loss (4.91 per game)

Most teams are playing from behind when they play the Sooners, so they end up abandoning the run to a great extent, which probably makes Oklahoma's run defense look so stout.
          But Oklahoma St.'s 105th ranked pass defense does not look good against the Sooners 3rd ranked passing offense. Oklahoma torched a very similarly ranked defense last week (Texas Tech's 38th run 'D', 99th pass 'D') to the tune of 299 yds rushing and 326 yds passing.
          They both give up about the same number of points, but Oklahoma scores around 11 more per game.
          Oklahoma is way ahead in turnover margin, sacks and tackles for loss.
          Stats not listed tended to be pretty similar, but Oklahoma St had the edge in net punting and punt returns by about 8 yds per punt and 10 yds. per return.

Common opponents:
          Baylor - Oklahoma won 49-17, Ok.St. won 34-6
          Texas A&M - Oklahoma won 66-28, Ok.St. won 56-28
          Texas - Oklahoma lost 25-35, Ok.St. lost 24-28
          Texas Tech - Oklahoma won 65-21, Ok.St. lost 20-56

Pretty similar except for Texas Tech. Even though Oklahoma had them at home, that's an 80 point differential.

Oklahoma has won 7 of the last 9 and the last 5 games in a row vs Oklahoma St and by margins of 43, 3, 28, 6 and 32. The Sooners were 4-1 ATS in those 5 wins. The 3 and the 6 point margins were games played in Stillwater. The other 2 wins were by 37 and 5, with the 5 being also in Stillwater.
          If you look at just the games played in Stillwater, since 1996 Oklahoma is 4-2 SU and 2-4 ATS, with the wins being by 10, 5, 3 and 6. The last game played in Stillwater was in 2006 where the Sooners won and covered as -5.5 favorites in a 27-21 game.

It looks like it's a pretty risky proposition laying big points in this rivalry when it's played in Stillwater. But I still like Oklahoma in this game. I think the Sooners will torch them through the air. Colt McCoy passed for 391 and 2 TD's against the Cowboys, Graham Harrell had an amazing 456 yds and 6 TD's and his backup Taylor Potts was 5 of 5 for 60 yds and another TD, Chase Daniel had 390 yds and a TD but 3 INT's did him in, Houston QB Case Keenum passed for 387 yds and 4 TD's and even Troy QB Jamie Hampton managed 253 yds and 3 TD's.
          Oklahoma 41
          Oklahoma St 27

Comment

Man you've really done your homework. Don't know for sure if I will mess with this one. I hope it is a good game with at least some defense. Thanx dragon for the info.

Comment

You can always count on Dragon to come with the goods............Good Luck today guys !!!
              ;)

Comment

Oklahoma-1/2 first quarter
                I usually don't bet these BUT Sooners are awesome in this opening period.
                they have outscored their opp. 208-27
                seven shutouts in 1st.
                They have outscored the opp. in EVERY first except for Kansas 7-7, but that could be due to the lost at Texas the week b4.
                They outscored Texas 7-3 in the first. so even if they lose the game they
                WILL take the first.
                OK States numbers
                108 -54
                they have been outscored twice and tied another after 1.
                good luck

Comment

You were right dragon, good call. That brings us to another topic. Is Oklahoma the national champ? They will probably get the call for the big twelve south. They only gave up 41. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!! That is par for the course in the big twelve. I'm willing to bet all the people who were giving me hell about how bad bama sucked are rethinking their position on them. They may not win the national championship, but they will never give up 41. Please don't show me another flag football game in the big twelve or I will puke!!! I vote for usc, their conference stinks but, at least they can possibly keep their opponent in the game by defense!!!!

Comment

Thanks! I sure hope I saved someone some money. I know I sure as hell have probably cost people some this year
                    Needless to say, the Sooner defense and special teams sucked! I don't know if it was just a letdown off of that Texas Tech game or what, but they did not show up to play, that's for sure. They had no intensity at all. If that team plays for a championship they will get smoked playing like that. The offense looked really good, but they don't seem to run very well against a stout run defense. Put them up against a team with a really good run defense who can come after the QB and I think they would have some trouble. Out of the teams that Oklahoma played, TCU and Texas fit that bill. TCU stuffed the run but gave up too many big pass plays (3 passing TD's over 50 yds and 1 passing TD of 25 yds). And Texas stuffed the run but gave up almost 400 passing yds and 5 passing TD's, but Texas was able to match their offense. I don't think there is a defense good enough to stop them, so you need a team that can match them TD for TD. That way, if you can even force one 3-and-out, and maybe get a turnover, you can get ahead of them....kind of like they did to Oklahoma St tonight. That game was a lot closer than the final score indicated.

Comment

JMO but the Big 12 can play all the 100-point games they want, and Alabama can remain #1 for now even though they only played 3 halfway decent teams all year in Mississippi, Georgia and LSU, and squeaked by all of them.........but Florida will kill Alabama this coming weekend because no one can stop Tim Tebow and the rest of the Florida brigade...........At least the Gators have some semblance of a defense as Florida State found out yesterday by settling for field goals in the red-zone all day long.

The arguments will continue all the way to the BCS Championship game, but rest assured that Alabama won't be in it..............Florida is quite simply the best team in the nation at the moment.
                      ;)

Comment

Yes, I agree. I will start another thread soon for the Florida-Bama and ither championship games but right now the line is Florida -9.5. I will take that all day long.

Maybe someone can make a case for taking bama but I don't think they can even come close to beating the gators. Tebow will manage the game as always, not make mistakes which is the key to winning.

As far as Okie and the rest of the big 12, good luck. The lack of defense will catch up to them. I am a big 12 guy too but I think the top SEC teams and USC with their D, is too much for Okie, Texas, or texas tech.

I would love to see USC-Florida myself in the big game.

Comment

why would you want to see usc in the title game?? who have they played to deserve anything?

and now, in typical pussy pac-10 fashion, they sit idle while the real teams continue to bang in hopes that a real team will lose in the right spot and they can miraculously leap over some teams by not even playing.

it is such a joke.

without a playoff system of some kind, there will always be some piece of shit team trying to back into a title shot by ducking tough games and we will continue to see beat down after beat down in the title game like we been getting for years.

a previous poster mentions alabama not really playing anyone....who does usc play? that stout pac-10 group just gave us the fabulous oregon st beavers, who with a win could have gone to their first rose bowl in how many decades??? and they got a 65 spot hung on them?? LMFAO!!! this is the "cream" of the pac-10 crop??

usc deserves nothing since that is what their schedule is annually, nothing.

Comment

Hart Attack,

Try adding something positive to the Forum for a change..........Surprise us........Dig deep and try find something in there...............USC got caught sleepwalking in the Oregon State game and they will pay dearly for it......The same way Florida didn't come to play against Mississippi and the same thing happened when Penn State played Iowa............As for Alabama, talk to me after they get swallowed by Florida on Saturday.

After all of your usual spewing, you still don't say who you think should be in the title game and that's what this thread is all about...........'Tis the season son, sing us a new song.

;)

Comment

I guess we will find out alot more after Saturday night. I suppose alot of my comments on Saturday were bias, but that is what happens after alot of beer and beating a team you haven't beaten in six years. It is going to be extremely tough on bama saturday. Florida is on a roll and seems to be solid all the way around. As far as Oklahoma, you certainly can't argue about their offense. I think the qb is the real deal for sure. I just think their defense will catch up with them. I don't give Mizzou much of a chance and kinda wish it were Texas and Oklahoma for the big twelve championship. I still give bama a great chance and it seems I'm alone in that but thats okay. If they do pull it off, you better believe last Saturday nights party wasn't nothing.( which I'm sill trying to recover from!) This one will be one for the record books!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X