• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILLINOIS vs MICHIGAN STATE 3-1-2009

Stay tuned right here at BW for this game

More to Follow

Carpet

Carpet was nice enough to do an "official" write up for Bettorsworld for this game.......

http://www.bettorsworld.com/2009/illinois-mich-st.htm

#20 Illinois 23-6 host #9 Michigan State 22-5

The Line opens Illinois -1.0 O/U 121.5

A look at Michigan State

The Spartans lead the Big 10 in defending the 3 point shot holding teams to 30.6% from beyond. They are also 19-0 when holding teams to less than 70 points a game.

Michigan State is ranked # 11 in defense.

This is a very good rebounding team averaging more than 10 boards per game over the teams they play, trailing only Pittsburgh in this department. As good as they are in rebounding they are the exact opposite in blocking shots on defense. The Spartans are in a offensive mess last 4 games and are heading to take on Illinois ferocious defense. Poor shooting, unforced turn overs has been a real problem. In the game with Purdue another defensive squad, the Boilmakers forced 22 turn overs, blocked 8 shots and held State to 33% shooting from the floor. Purdue has provided Coach Weber the exact Blue Print to beating Michigan State.

Michigan State is playing with and thru some injuries this is causing some adjustments on the floor. Summer, SF sprained his ankle last game and did not play the second half. Ryan Morgan battling Mono is back playing with limited playing time, the offense is trying to adjust to him being back. PG and leading scorer Lucas hurt his thumb and is nursing it by passing more than shooting.

Coach Izzo this week has called his team, soft, lackadaisical and dysfunctional mainly on the offensive end. The coach is really focused on Offense----So Carpet asks what happens to the defense with this change of focus? These two teams played early this season with Mich St hanging on to a 6 point win as 15 points favs at home.

A LOOK AT ILLINOIS

This is a big game for the surprising Illini, a sold out crowd in a sea of orange will greet Izzo and company. Ranked # 3 in the nation in scoring defense 56 PPG allowed and 19th in field goal defense.

On defense Illinois must work into the basketball keeping the ball in front of them. Understanding what the Spartans are trying to do and most importantly stopping the transition game.

The transition game is the strength of the Spartans, mainly feeding off the rebound. Wisky and Purdue did a good job of stopping the transition and it worked very well vs. MSU.

On offense getting the ball inside to 7-1 Tisdale and 6-9 high flying Mike Davis will be a key.

These two teams know each other inside and out, the coaches are friends, and Illinois matches up very well at every position with this team.

Sundays game will mark the last time Chester Fraizer, Trent Meechum, Calvin Brock and CJ Jackson will suit up at assembly hall. Look for Fraizer and Brock to both have big games for Illinois.

The Home cooking is just what his team needs as they work to knock off MSU and gain a possible share of the Big 10 title. A FEW TACKS ON THE FLOOR

Mich state is 4-9 ATS vs Illinois last 13 games......

The Under is 12-2 last 14 games for Illinois at home....

My numbers have Illinois winning by 7

Good Luck to all....

Carpet

Comment

Well my friends I gave you my all last game
      and it was close coming in.

What I didnt count on was Izzo turning
      his team on a dime towards a big game and
      breaking out of the funk they were in.

When Illinois tied it with 3 to go they looked
      poised for a Run, but State just held them off

One thing that confused the Hell out of me in this
      game was this........Illinois down by one point with
      3 mins to play and they went to a full court press
      which state beat easily.

Why not set up in your half court death zone
      and make them to come your strength, Illinois
      has only done that two times this year, one it
      worked vs Northwestern, and the second time
      against a very good team Illinois full court press
      blowed.

Illinois travels to Happy Valley this week
      and this wont be a cake walk,

Carpet

Comment

Does anyone know why a few of the big 10 games are postponed tonight?

Comment

Which games woodee? I haven't seen anything yet.

Comment

wiscy-minny
            ill-psu
            nwestern-purdue

thats what it says over at scores and odds.com plus the greek has them off too.

Comment

Hmm.....
              the Illinois official website has the game being played on Thursday. Not sure why the change. I wonder if it has something to do with the tournament coming up?

Comment

The schedule for the Big ten set early on this year
                allowed for the last two weeks games to be adjusted
                for tv time basically, it really has nothing to do with
                the Big ten tourney

Illinois game with MSU was ,moved to Sunday
                and was set for Saturday as a Tentative.

The Illinois game is set for Thursday at Penn
                State

Comment

Working...
                X