Contest for March Madness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contest for March Madness?

Is there going to be a contest again this year for March Madness? It's always a lot of fun!!

I think it was brought up a few weeks ago and we were asked if we had any ideas for a format for this year. I don't believe anyone responded. Here's your chance everyone....better hurry!

Comment

yeah...if there's interest and someone comes up with a format, I'll of course have one.........

Comment

I am in

Comment

How about this March Madness contest format?

Using USA Today spread lines posted the night - day before the scheduled games, select the winning teams NO over/unders.

Weekend 1 all winning games (with point spread) receive 1 point each and all ties are LOSERS.
          Thurs 3/19 - 16 games – select 8 teams
          Friday 3/20 - 16 games – select 8 teams
          Saturday 3/21 – 8 games - select 4 teams
          Sunday 3/22 – 8 games select - 4 teams
          Possibility of achieving 24 points. Only winning selected teams receive points.

Weekend 2 all winning games (with point spread) receive 2 points each and all ties are LOSERS.
          Thurs 3/26 - 4 games – select 2 teams
          Friday 3/27 - 4 games – select 2 teams
          Saturday 3/28 – 2 games - select 1 team
          Sunday 3/29 – 2 games - select 1 team
          Possibility of achieving 12 points. Only winning selected teams receive points.

Weekend 3 (FINAL FOUR) all winning games (with point spread) receive 3 points each and all ties are LOSERS.
          Saturday 4/4 – 2 games - must select both games – 2 teams
          Monday 4/6 – Championship game – select winner
          Possibility of achieving 9 points. Only winning selected teams receive points.

Three contest winners (a possible total of 45 points if someone selects all winners)
          1st
          2nd
          3rd

If necessary, because of a possible tie among contestants, the Championship Game Monday, April 6, will include several props to be determined as a tie breaker.

I'll volunteer to maintain the score/spread sheet of entries and post the standings each day.

Need someone else to post the USA Today lines the day - night before the next day scheduled games.

Obviously, Jeff will determine the prize $$ amount.

If this is too complicated and someone else has a better format, please don't hesitate; go ahead and propose something else.

laxsfo99

Comment

Looks good. Unless we want to give more weight to the later rounds?

Comment

Looks good to me.

Comment

How about a $1,000,000 prize this year

Comment

Anyhting sounds good to me, but you could always create a private group for free at any of the "big" places such as yahoo. You can adjust the scoring any way you want with some of them, make it a 1 time contest or have it pick as you go, and then they will do all the record keeping and scoring for you instead of having someone else do it all, if that is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by laxsfo99
                    How about this March Madness contest format?

Using USA Today spread lines posted the night - day before the scheduled games, select the winning teams NO over/unders.

Weekend 1 all winning games (with point spread) receive 1 point each and all ties are LOSERS.
                    Thurs 3/19 - 16 games – select 8 teams
                    Friday 3/20 - 16 games – select 8 teams
                    Saturday 3/21 – 8 games - select 4 teams
                    Sunday 3/22 – 8 games select - 4 teams
                    Possibility of achieving 24 points. Only winning selected teams receive points.

Weekend 2 all winning games (with point spread) receive 2 points each and all ties are LOSERS.
                    Thurs 3/26 - 4 games – select 2 teams
                    Friday 3/27 - 4 games – select 2 teams
                    Saturday 3/28 – 2 games - select 1 team
                    Sunday 3/29 – 2 games - select 1 team
                    Possibility of achieving 12 points. Only winning selected teams receive points.

Weekend 3 (FINAL FOUR) all winning games (with point spread) receive 3 points each and all ties are LOSERS.
                    Saturday 4/4 – 2 games - must select both games – 2 teams
                    Monday 4/6 – Championship game – select winner
                    Possibility of achieving 9 points. Only winning selected teams receive points.

Three contest winners (a possible total of 45 points if someone selects all winners)
                    1st
                    2nd
                    3rd

If necessary, because of a possible tie among contestants, the Championship Game Monday, April 6, will include several props to be determined as a tie breaker.

I'll volunteer to maintain the score/spread sheet of entries and post the standings each day.

Need someone else to post the USA Today lines the day - night before the next day scheduled games.

Obviously, Jeff will determine the prize $$ amount.

If this is too complicated and someone else has a better format, please don't hesitate; go ahead and propose something else.

laxsfo99
                    sounds real good to me Lax.... I'm in.

Comment

The problem with Having it on yahoo is that it takes away from the point of hosting the contest....which of course is to try and get some duscussion going.

We can always use the honor system for scoring, or we could an easier format if scoring is the issue.

As for prize money.......well, let's just remember, we are in a recession : )

It won't be much........just enough for the regulars to have some fun......

Comment

I agree with Jeff about keeping it local, i.e., here at Bettorsworld.

If it's a go, I'll set up the spreadsheets for Thursday (3/19) and Friday (3/20), unless you want to go with the honors system. The scoring, will only be labor intensive (on my part) for Thursday (3/19) and Friday (3/20) because of the initial round. After the first round, it will be much easier to maintain the scoring and standings as the number of games markedly decrease. Note: I'm retired and have the time.

Another criteria - all selected teams for the tourney day need to be posted before the initial tipoff of the first scheduled game. Tomorrow, 3/19, tipoff time for the first game is approximately 12:15 PM Eastern Standard Time.

Let me know, what system you prefer. Also, need someone to volunteer to post the USA Today lines for tomorrow's game later this afternoon or early evening.

laxsfo99

Comment

Thats sounds good. I say to keep it simple, lets just pick every game on the board in order to make it easy to score.

Someone just post the lines, have a dealing of the first game of each day and go from there and see what happens.

I will be happy to help in any way also!

Comment

Ok - the prize amount will be $350....

1st - $200
                            2nd - $100
                            3rd - $50

Unless you guys wanted a winner take all or any other split.

Comment

Either way is fine, but just picking some of the games seems to add to the skill level and that's a good and challenging thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X