Dragon's NFL picks - Week 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon's NFL picks - Week 5

17-5 on the year on posted NFL Sunday plays (17-3 on initial plays, 0-2 on added plays)
    Top Play -
    4-0 Indianapolis -3.5 @ 0-4 Tennessee - Peyton Manning is in the zone to start the year, unlike the injury problem he had to overcome last year before they started clicking. Manning is completing over 70% of his passes for an average of 334 yds per game, and has thrown 9 TD's already. The Colts have now won 13 consecutive regular season games, 10 of those by at least 4 pts. WR's Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie have more than made up for the loss of Anthony Gonzalez. Of course Reggie Wayne is back to being his normal, dominating self with 26 receptions for 399 yards and 3 TD's so far. And the duo of Joseph Addai and rookie Donald Brown have combined for 315 yds and 4 TD's on the ground, and another 225 yds and a TD through the air. Everyone keeps picking Tennessee, expecting last year's version to finally emerge, but it ain't happening. Their pass defense has been horrible, giving up an average of 282 ypg so far, with 10 passing TD's. On offense, they still have RB Chris Johnson doing his thing, and a trio of decent receivers in Nate Washington, Justin Gage and rookie Kenny Britt, who have combined for 565 yds and 4 TD's. But QB Kerry Collins has only completed 57% of his passes for 914 yds, with 6 INTs to just 5 TD's. Matt Schaub torched this defense for 357 yds and 4 TD's with no INT's in the last game in this stadium. Manning and Co. should roll in this one.
    The rest -
    3-1 New England -3 @ 4-0 Denver - The Pats found out a way to get by a loaded Baltimore team last week by a whole TD. Denver has been playing great defense, but still have only faced Cincinnati, Cleveland, Oakland, and a Dallas team due for a letdown. That's my take anyway. I can't believe they win this game to go 5-0 with Kyle Orton, Brandon Marshall, a banged up Buckhalter and Knowshon Moreno against Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Wes Welker and their 4 deep rushing crew.
    0-3 Carolina -3.5 vs 1-3 Washington - Carolina desperate for a win and coming off of a bye, and Washington got their much needed 2nd 'W' last week. The Redskins 2 wins have been against the 2 worst teams in the NFL in St Louis and Tampa Bay, they got them both at home, and have only managed to win both games by a combined 5 pts. The Panthers were 8-0 at home last year in the regular season, winning 6 of them by at least 9 pts, and all of them by at least 3. The Redskins have lost their 2 road games by 5 and 6 pts, and gave the lowly Lions their 1st win in 19 games, Clinton Portis is hurting, and they have a serious lack of offense outside of him. I think Carolina gets their 1st win here easily, and look for big games from DeAngelo Williams and Steve Smith.
    0-4 Cleveland +6 @ 1-3 Buffalo - Cleveland showed signs of life last week against Cincinnati with QB Derek Anderson and RB Jerome Harrison joining the starting lineup for the first time this year. The Browns took the division rival Bengals to OT and probably should have won the game. Anderson passed for 269 yds and a TD, with 1 INT, in his debut and RB Jerome Harrison had a great day with 152 combined yds on 34 touches. Anderson also found a new friend, as rookie WR Mohamed Massaquoi caught 8 passes for 148 yds and an 18.5 ypc average. Buffalo is reeling, losing their last 2 games by a combined 48 pts, with their only win of the season against hapless Tampa Bay. These teams appear to be going in different directions, and I think it's asking a lot from the Bills, at this point, to win by a TD.
    2-2 Dallas -8.5 @ 0-4 Kansas City - Cowboys seem to be alternating good efforts, and were probably ripe for a let down in their last game after 2 huge nationally televised home games to anoint their new stadium. The Chiefs have lost to everyone but Oakland by double-digits. And the 3 decent teams they faced (Bal, Phi, NYG) have combined for 1350 yds, 74 FD's, and 99 pts (that's an average of 450 yds, 24 FD's and 33 pts per game!), and have held the Chiefs to an average of just 192 offensive yds and 12 FD's per game.

Dragon any consideration of St. Louis + 9 1/2?

Vikings off an emotional night and they failed to
    cover after 2 Monday games last year.

Thanks.

Comment

There's no way I could bet on St Louis right now. They've already been shut-out twice in 4 games, and have been out-scored 108-24 overall. Only inept Washington has allowed them to hang, and in that game Washington led in yards 362-245, FD's 21-14 and TOP 34:53 - 25:07.

Comment

I was also liking Carolina, New England and Cleveland.

For dogs, I'm thinking about Cinci +9 at Baltimore, Atlanta +3 at SF and hold my nose and maybe the Bucs +15 and Rams +10. Maybe even Raiders +15 vs my Giants as Coughlin likes to sit on it, and especially if Eli is sitting or resting.

GL

Comment

Boy....really? You'd pick a team that's been out-scored 108-24 playing against St. Favre!?

Comment

Yeah, picking the Rams sounds suicidal doesn't it. But the Rams hung with GB for awhile two weeks ago at home. And I think they have an upbeat attitude despite their obvious weaknesses as a team. And as a Giant fan, I like Spags as a coach. The Rams won't quit on him. Farve and Viks may be in a letdown situation. Monday night teams don't usually fare so well the next Sunday, particularly on the road.

But having said all that, Farve and AP could easily cover the 10. Let's just say, the Rams won't be my pick in the Game of the Week Contest, but thinking on going small on a few of the big dogs, not really knowing for sure which ones may bark and which ones may roll over.

GL

Comment

I don't know about those big dogs.

Philly should beat Tampa by 20 something easily at home.

Maybe Eli's injury slows the Giants down and the Raiders have a chance to cover (the Giants D is much better than Houston's) but if I had to pick I'd still take the Giants.

And there's been enough said about the Rams.

There was an article I read somewhere this past week about the large spreads already this year - the books were saying people aren't afraid to lay large spreads against these really bad teams so they are going to continue to go up.

Comment

As for the large spreads this week (-9+), I could see Philly and Minnesota covering easily. Tampa Bay and St Louis just have too many issues on both sides of the ball.
                I could see the NY Giants not covering the 16. Coughlin likes to sit on a lead. They nearly let Kansas City get the backdoor cover last week.
                Speaking of the Chiefs, they can be rather pesky and it wouldn't surprise me if they backdoored Dallas this week. Same with Cincinnati and the Lions.

Comment

The Giants cover depends on Manning's playtime so I wouldn't go there this week. Unfortunately I didn't realize it had even happened before I made my picks!!

BTW, Dragon you are definitely in the ZONE, the leader of the real Superbook contest is 16-4. Congrats on a great 1st quarter!

Comment

Thanks! Probably overdue for an 0-5 week. I'm not positive the picks above will be the final contest picks. Sometimes I change things up a bit at the last minute. I may take a couple of those big favorites.

Comment

Agree with Jeff 0624, there are alot of bad teams this year. But sometimes its not about xs and os. There are sometime you've got to shoot from the hip. I think Widestrides is on the right track with the dogs. May not happen this week but over the course of the next say 4 I think it pays off. So I'm on the rams which has had success against Minny in the past and I won't dismiss Krichinskys point of the Vikes will be on a hangover. If it were all who is the best team and stats this crap would be easy. Good luck to all and go Rams!!

Comment

Rams???

Rams will be lucky if they win one game this whole season. They might cover two or three, IF these spreads get bigger.

Rams?? LOL.

Comment

Then bet the Vikes and lose your ass!!

Comment

Remember, Riker this is the nfl and we consider points and home field advantage. Totally agree that the rams suck, but you are new on this site and not to say that you don't know what the hell you are talking about, but when cappers like Widestrides, See bee , give them respect and a chance to win, take note and just shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as my friend Hart Attack would say, we are always open to opinion, but until you have earned your stripes, make sure you know what the hell your talking about. Now my friend Two EZ who is also new, doesn't argue, he just puts out winners. I by no means am saying that I no everything, but I know who can and can't pick. If I would have been the only one to consider the rams, you may have a point. But I have seen alot of picks on this game and I know who can and can't pick and I like my odds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!

Comment

Vikes 27-13

Comment

Working...
                              X