No announcement yet.

Tommy Gold NFL 2009 - Picks Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos (MNF)

Pittsburgh Steelers (5-2) are playing much better lately and they had returned to their old form which gave them the title last season and Denver was slaughtered by the Ravens last week, so this is a very promising game between one team that wants to continue winning and another one which wants to return to success.

Denver Broncos (6-1) are doing a great campaign, showing a good defense, both on the passing game and on the rushing game as well and that is what is giving them winnings. QB Kyle Orton is doing a good season and he has proven me wrong about him sometimes this season, because I think he is just an average quarterback, but he has been able to make good calls on the field and his partners WR Brandon Marshall and WR Jabar Gaffney have been playing very well too. Their running game is easy to predict because they only use RB Knowshon Moreno and he will hardly do anything today against one of the best rushing defenses of the NFL.

Pittsburgh started bad the season with 2 wins and 2 losses on the first 4 games but on their last 4 games the team has played much better, their defense has returned to normal, delivering great pressure on the opponent's quarterback, and QB Big Ben Roethlisberger has also improved his offense and his connection with WR Hines Ward and WR Santonio Holmes is doing again heavy damage on the opposite's defenses and even their rushing game with RB Willie Parker and RB Rashard Mendenhall are going forward down the field.

After a lousy start, the Steelers are again on top and the Broncos last week had faced a defense that always causes great problems against the opponent's quarterback thanks to their pressure, and I believe that this Pitts D will be able to do the same thing, by delivering a lot of pressure and getting some sacks in the process, complicating things to the Broncos defense. For me, the Steelers is the most complete team on this game and despite playing on the road, I believe that they will be able to win this MNF.

Pick: Pittsburgh Steelers -2,5 -115 (1.87) 5Dimes

Comment

Below is my Week 9 results recap:

65 - Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals: Cincinnati Bengals +3 -120 (1.83) The Greek (17-7: WIN)
      66 - Arizona Cardinals @ Chicago Bears: Arizona Cardinals +3 -120 (1.83) The Greek (21-41: WIN)
      67 - Detroit Lions @ Seattle Seahawks: Seattle Seahawks -10 -110 (1.91) Bookmaker (32-20: WIN)
      68 - Dallas Cowboys @ Philadelphia Eagles (SNF): Philadelphia Eagles -3 +105 (2.05) Bookmaker (16-20: LOSS)
      69 - Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos (MNF): Pittsburgh Steelers -2.5 -115 (1.87) 5Dimes (10-28: WIN)

SIDES: 4-1; (Week 8: +2.44 units);

NFL 2009 Season record: 38-29 (+3.69 units won/69 units risked);
      SIDES: 36-26 (+6.83 units won/62 units risked);
      TOTALS 2-5 (-3.14 units lost/7 units risked).

Winning 55% so far, not bad. :P

Comment

For the Week 10 Thursday Night Football game, I've this pick:

Chicago Bears @ San Francisco 49ers

Chicago Bears (4-4) on their last 4 games, only managed to win once and it was against the weak Cleveland Browns at home, on the other 3 games against good teams, they were completely dominated, specially against the Cincinatti Bengals and against the Arizona Cardinals. Meanwhile, San Francisco 49ers (3-5) are win-less 4 games in a row, a streak that started with the Falcons massacre and continued losing until last week, with 3 games lost with a play difference, thus they managed to keep their games somewhat close.

Chicago Bears are at the moment playing badly, thanks to their secondary, which has been completely dominated by teams with a good passing game. They have important players missing in the team, mainly SS Al Afalava. If things are not pretty in the Bears defense thanks to secondary problems, it only gets worse because they can't stop the opponents' rushing game. And things can get more ugly for the Bears, because on the other side we have one of the best league rushers, RB Frank Gore, whom rarely fumbles the ball and has a 5.6 yards per carry average (YPC).

QB Jay Cutler has a good arm, but his bigger problem is when he faces a good defense that pressures to well the opponents' quarterback, which is the case of the 49ers defense. When that happens, Jay Cutler doesn't know what to do the ball and he throws completely at random and I think that on this game, he will have again big troubles to have enough time to make good calls and if that happens, Jay Cutler will suffer some passes intercepted plus a lot of incomplete passes.

Lately, Jay Cutler's main weapon has been TE Greg Olsen, who scored on the last game 3 touchdowns against Arizona, surely he won't do again do such a performance so soon, because the 49ers defend quite well and because their defensive unit will be more focused on this game than the Cards D, which had already the game won and didn't cared too much with Greg Olsen.

As Wide Receivers, Chicago counts with WR Earl Bennet, an average player, and WR Devin Hester who has 3 touchdowns scored and a 13.4 yards YPC, which means that Devin Hester is dangerous thanks to his top speed, but the Bears against aggressive defenses haven't been able to do much.

The Bears' rushing game results are sub par on the last weeks, we all know that RB Matt Forte (3.6 YPC) is a very good player, but is has not been lately on his best form, besides RB Garrett Wolfe is injured, so there is no quality backup to give Matt Forte some rest, which means that Chicago will have to play much more by the air, which makes their offense more predictable and that can be very dangerous when you play against a aggressive defense like the one displayed by the 49ers.

San Francisco is going again with QB Alex Smith as the starting quarterback and I agree with this decision, he is undoubtedly the best quarterback of the team and for this offense he is the most suited player to lead this team, having good options on the wide receivers and tight end positions. I think that the 49ers will launch at least 3 wide receivers for this game, WR Josh Morgan (13.8 YPC) who is improving week after week, WR Isaac Bruce (12.2 YPC) and the rookie WR Michael Crabtree (11,9 YPC), a very good player to match with the kind of quarterback like Alex Smith.

San Francisco also has on the best league's tight ends, TE Vernon Davis, who is the main target for the 49ers quarterback. Thanks to this new offense that San Francisco is trying to implement, the 49ers can complicate very much the life of the Bears' secondary and that might be the key for San Francisco to win this game. They also have a good rushing game, so if Chicago focus more on defending the 49ers' passing game, RB Frank Gore (5.6 YPC) will take care of business by the ground, which makes this offense very dangerous for the Bears' defense. Frank Gore has been great this season so far, he has already scored 5 touchdowns and has only 1 fumble.

San Francisco defense is very good against the rushing game, and RB Matt Forte will not have an easy task today. Against the passing game the 49ers D is not that bad either, but is not that effective when compared against the opponents' ground offense, but they have shown good qualities (aggressiveness and pressure) when they face a strong opposition's passing game, being the games against the Houston Texans and the Indianapolis Colts two good examples, even if the Colts didn't played with a 100% commitment level, since they are close to clinch a playoffs berth.

In short, with San Francisco having a good defense and knowing that they will surely deliver a lot of pressure against Jay Cutler, we can expect some costly errors from the Bears' quarterback. The 49ers rushing game is one of the best lately and the Bears D has a lot of gaps against this kind of offense, so I expect a long night for Chicago on this field. The 49ers O in the passing game is improving and Alex Smith is the best match for his receivers and this is for me the biggest edge for San Francisco on this game, since the Bears' secondary has some important players missing due to injuries, which is translating in bad performances on their last games against good offensive teams.

This will be a short week for both teams, specially for Chicago who has to travel and with the important home field advantage for the 49ers, I believe that they will have enough commitment and enthusiasm to win this game at least by 1 touchdown.

Pick: San Francisco 49ers -3 125 (1.80) Bookmaker

Comment

For NFL 2009 Week 10, I've only 5 more point spreads and 2 totals to risk:

Denver Broncos @ Washington Redskins: Denver Broncos -3.5 -105 (1.95) The Greek

Atlanta Falcons @ Carolina Panthers: Atlanta Falcons PK -120 (1.83) 5Dimes

Seattle Seahawks @ Arizona Cardinals: Under 46.5 -105 (1.95) Bet Jamaica

Dallas Cowboys @ Green Bay Packers: Dallas Cowboys -3 +105 (2.05) The Greek

New England Patriots @ Indianapolis Colts: New England Patriots +3 -125 The Greek and Under 49.5 -105 (1.95) Bet Jamaica

Baltimore Ravens @ Cleveland Browns: Baltimore Ravens -10.5 -105 (1.95) Bet Jamaica

I love the New England Patriots ML +125 The Greek too, but for the record on NFL 2009, I'll just keep playing the pointspreads.

Writeups will be posted later during the weekend.

Comment

Denver Broncos @ Washington Redskins

Denver Broncos (6-2) after a very nice start winning their first 6 games, have conceded 2 losses against Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers, while the Washington Redskins (2-6) are in a deep crisis after 5 straight losses, which makes this game a very important one for both teams, but mainly for the Broncos who have the San Diego Chargers right behind them on the division standings.

QB Kyle Orton started the season with very good performances, but when he faced two teams that really know how to pressure the opponents' quarterback, he started to shake and wasn't unable to develop is usual game. Good news is that the Washington Redskins aren't quite the Ravens or the Steelers regarding defensive pressure and I think that we will see Kyle Orton going back to his old form in the early season.

Denver offense is quite good on the passing game and there is a simple reason for that: Broncos have two great quality players in the wide receivers positions, which are WR Jabar Gaffney and WR Brandon Marshall. Having these two great targets is very good because there are a lot of times that Orton doesn't throw correctly the ball but those two guys are always able to catch the ball and win good yards for their team.

Broncos' rushing game counts with the rookie RB Knowshon Moreno who's doing a great first season (3.7 YPC) and RB Correll Buckhalter (5.5 YPC). The ground offense is not the stronger suit of the Denver offense and that is why the team relies a lot more on the passing game than usual, which is understandable. Besides, they also have TE Daniel Graham who from time to time is a good option to pass the ball.

Denver defense is also very good, mainly against the opponents' passing game, the team is able to do a good coverage and is also capable to pressure the opponents' quarterbacks, causing several sacks. Stopping the running game is another matter, they had struggled a bit on their last games, but even on this subject luck seems to be on the Broncos side, because RB Clinton Portis will not play and an easier task is expected when having to face RB Ladell Betts. I expect the Redskins to choose to play much more by the air than using their ground offense and it is against the passing game that the Broncos D will make the difference.

Washington promised a lot but it was only promises, the Redskins lost their focus and the mood in the team is awful and even the supporters seem to be much more against the team than otherwise and with all these facts against the home team, it is hard for Washington to do something interesting in the remaining season, when the team has already quit on itself.

QB Jason Campbell has intermittent performances, he is able to mix a series of good calls with a series of bad calls and because of that he has almost the same number of interceptions (8) than touchdowns passes (9). It is also true that is has limited options on his offense to play with, because without WR Santana Moss, the team doesn't have anyone else with enough quality to pass the ball. WR Chris Cooley and TE Fred Davis surely aren't the best options to play with against an excellent Broncos' passing defense.

Without Clinton Portis, the Skins ground offense will have to rely on RB Ladell Betts and he is an unknown factor for this Washington rushing offense. For what I know, Ladell Betts is not a great rusher, but he belongs to that kind of rushers who make catches and with this option, I see two problems for the Redskins: if they don't go with the rush, the Broncos D will punish Jason Campbell very hard and get some sacks, if they use him a lot more on this game, then there are some good chances for the Denver defense to escape from big troubles, because defending against the rush is the weak spot of the Broncos D.

The Skins D is average against the opponents' rushing game, but when the matter at hand is the passing game, they really show great difficulties to stop it, which can be lethal against the Broncos O, because we know that Denver offense doesn't use much the running game, they will prefer to keep attacking the Redskins secondary and with the two wide receivers the Broncos have, I can't blame them, I see a lot of troubles for this Washington defense to stop them.

Denver has the best team and the greater motivation to win this game, they need to keep a safe distance from the San Diego Chargers on the league standings, while the Redskins apparently have already quit on themselves like everyone else in Washington, and with the Broncos offensive quality already displayed this season, against an offense that in the entire season wasn't capable to produce anything outstanding, I think the Denver Broncos will win this game by at least 1 touchdown.

Pick: Denver Broncos -3.5 -105 (1.95) The Greek

Comment

Atlanta Falcons @ Carolina Panthers

Atlanta Falcons (5-3) needs to win in order to get a good seed position for the postseason with a Wild Card, they are currently tied with the same record as Arizona and Philadelphia, while Carolina Panthers (3-5) has at least 5 teams in front of them for the NFL 2009 Playoff Race, has all the pressure one team can have if they still want to have a slight chance to win a spot on the playoffs.

QB Matt Ryan on the last weeks has dropped a bit his rhythm and has suffered some interceptions but I rate this sophomore as a great quarterback who makes good calls and knows how to make this offense work properly. Matt Ryan tools at his disposal are many, on the wide receivers positions we have WR Roddy White who has a 14.3 yards per catch average and WR Michael Jenkins (12.8 AVG), plus the one of the best tight end of the NFL, TE Tony Gonzalez.

If the Falcons' passing game is very powerful with all this weapons, the Atlanta offense becomes much more dangerous when we have a RB Michael Turner who has been excellent on the last weeks, doing great quality performances and I believe that he will do a great game this afternoon, because on the other side, the best Carolina player is injured (OLB Thomas Davis) and surely Michael Turner will have his holes and gaps to exploit on that Panthers defense and repeat the great last weeks' games.

The Falcons' D has some shortcomings, mainly against the passing game, which by the way is not the strong spot of the Panthers, since they are an 80% rushing team, which helps us a little bit, because the Atlanta defensive unit is much better when you need to stop the opponents' running game, which is good news for us.

As I already said, Carolina relies too much on their rushing game and I'm not surprised with that since QB Jake Delhomme is doing a horrible season and is afraid to throw deep, because he knows he runs serious risks of suffering a few more interceptions, he already has 13 interceptions this season. It is true that on his last 2 games he didn't throw any interceptions, but almost all the Panthers offense plays where done thanks to the running game and therefore, he couldn't harm his team anymore on this subject.

Jake Delhomme has WR Steve Smith to pass the ball, but rarely he uses him, the same happens with WR Muhsin Muhammed or TE Jeff King. I can't entirely blame Delhomme, because almost all the offensive game of the Panthers is based on their rushers RB DeAngelo Williams and RB Jonathan Stewart. De Angelo (5.2 YPC) is undoubtedly one of the best rushers of the NFL and his 7 touchdowns show that. I'm know that despite his keen "limitations" we will play this game and certainly will do a good performance, but anyway Carolina will have a predictable offense.

Talking about the Panthers D, they don't have a bad passing game defense, but they will a lot of problems to stop the Atlanta offense. Carolina rushing defense was average and the only one standing out is Thomas Davis, who's sidelined due to injury for this game and I see a lot of problems for the Panthers in stopping a Falcons' Michael Turner in great form.

Again, this is an important game for both teams, maybe a little more for the Falcons, I believe that Matt Ryan will play better on this match and will do a good performance, because he has a lot of good options to choose from in order to win this game and with Michael Turner in great shape playing against a bad rushing defense which has their best player out, I believe the running back will be one of the key players for a road win of the Atlanta Falcons.

Pick: Atlanta Falcons PK -120 (1.83) 5Dimes

Comment

Dallas Cowboys @ Green Bay Packers

Dallas Cowboys (6-2) are rally improving their game in the last weeks and the team is much more close and solid than in the early start of the season and this game will be a test for them, if they want to keep their good position for the playoffs. Green Bay Packers (4-4) comes from a loss on the road on Tampa Bay where the defense was quite below the expected and if they don't improve for this game, they will have a very long game ahead.

QB Tony Romo since a few weeks ago was able to discover the best way to lead his offense, if before he only used TE Jason Witten, now he goes along with WR Miles Austin (22.7 AVG) who has been Dallas' best weapon to score touchdowns. Since this new presence in the Dallas offense, the opposition' defenses had shift their focus on Miles Austin, which has given more room for Jason Witten to have more opportunities to play. Besides these two wide receivers, Tony Romo still has WR Roy E. Williams who is not a bad player at all and sometimes does good catches and also deserves careful attention from the opponent's defense.

If the Cowboys O has now with good weapons for the passing game, their ground offense has also good tools to get the job done. RB Marion Barber is one of the best NFL rushers and very hard to stop, he is very strong and even suffering a hit, he is usually able to win one or two more yards and his backup RB Felix Jones is also an excellent rusher with a 7.3 yards per carry average, which is a very good average indeed.

On the defensive side, Dallas has also improved, mainly against the passing game, which is good for this game, besides the team has also improved on the pressure against the opponents' quarterback and QB Aaron Rodgers will have a difficult task, with OLB DeMarcus Ware in great form, always able to get near the opposition's quarterback and causing a lot of pressure and knowing that the Packers' OL is horrible when it comes to protect their quarterback, the Cowboys will surely take advantage of that situation. Dallas rushing defense has also improved lately which is a plus for this game too, despite the fact Green Bay uses more often the passing game on their offense.

Aaron Rodgers is doing a good season, but his stats are dropping, we know that his OL can't protect him from suffering a lot of sacks, his pocket often collapses, but we should be fair on this one, a lot of the sacks he has suffered so far this season were due to the fact he takes too much time to make his calls. Like I said, Rodgers should be very careful on this game, because OLB DeMarcus Ware is mastering his trade...

When Rodgers is not busy trying to figure it out to whom he should pass the ball or when is OL is simply crushed by the opponent's defense, we can rate as a good unit this Green Bay offense. WR Donald Driver and mainly WR Greg Jennings are great players and even the rushing game is doing good thanks to RB Ryan Grant, but the Packers ground offense can only dial up some good calls when facing bad teams, therefore I see some difficulties for Green Bay to do a good running game against Dallas.

If taking aside the known problems of the Packers offense, we have a good unit to be worried about, when the subject is the Green Bay defense, then the Packers supporters start to be really troubled. This Green Bay defense is being terrible mainly against the passing game, the secondary has been completely outplayed by every team they already faced so far and they will have to face this afternoon an offense that has been on fire lately, so a lot of suffering has to be expected from the Packers secondary. Green Bay running defense is not that bad, but Dallas has a good ground offense and complications might arise for the Packers defense.

Right now Green Bay has a lot of problems to protect Aaron Rodgers and their secondary will be surely heavily exploited by Dallas offense, it is true that the Packers offense is quite good, but the Cowboys D has improved a lot and the small road favorite has a lot of solutions to complicate things for the small home dog, so I think that Dallas can win this game by at least one touchdown.

Pick: Dallas Cowboys -3 +105 (2.05) The Greek

Comment

Seattle Seahawks @ Arizona Cardinals

Seattle Seahawks (3-5) on the road has been terrible, they don't produce anything on their offense and their defense is having a lot of troubles. The main reason why the Seahawks can't score is due to the protection the Seattle OL can't provide to their QB Matt Hasselbeck, who's indeed a good player, but is not yet 100% recovered from the injury he suffered earlier in the season and going with a deep ball against Arizona's secondary is not a good idea either.

Seahawks running game counts with RB Julius Jones and RB Edgerrin James and it doesn't scare anyone, there are a lot of plays when Seattle is in a 3rd down and short situation and the team goes much more by the air and on this game, I believe that is will happen very often, because the Cardinals have a very good rushing defense.

For Seattle to have some chance to win this game, they need to be very focused on their defense and since this is an important game for both teams, a divisional one, I believe that the Seahawks will give their best on their defense first and then trying to keep their offense focused and cooled, playing with calm and biding their time, using the clock in their favor.

Arizona Cardinals (5-3) curiously played much better on the road than at home this season, the complete opposite from their fantastic last season, when they where so strong at home and had some problems on their road games. This team is a very powerful one when the subject is called offense. QB Kurt Warner has excellent weapons like WR Larry Fitzgerald and WR Anquan Boldin, who are very strong on the passing game.

Cards running game despite the excellent rushing displayed last week, is quite weak. Arizona has RB Beanie Wells and RB Tim Hightower, but we know that Tim Hightower has played often by the air than by the ground, therefore, the core of this Cardinals offensive unit is really their passing game.

As I said earlier, the Cards defense has a good secondary and it will be hard for the Seahawks to score a lot of points against them and their running defense is also quite good and I believe that they will able to stop the Seahawks offense in both dimension, both their passing game and their rushing game as well.

If we take a good look at both teams schedule's for this season, only against the Texans who actually play much better on the road than in Houston, the Cards were able to score a win. We also noticed that after the 21-34 home loss against Carolina, a great 21-41 road win followed in the next game against Chicago, which explains a little bit why the opening line on the total was so high (47 points). We also remember that half of the games that Arizona has already played had 48 or more points scored...

Seattle has clearly lost all their road games, always by a two digits difference (13 points or more). They only won at home against very weak teams and they have 3 games where the total points scored where equal or higher than 51 points, which includes their last 2 games after their Bye Week on Week 7. With this in mind, we can understand why the total opening line was that high...

The reason why I'm not playing the Cardinals point spread is due to the Arizona's performances at home. They haven't convinced anyone yet and it is on these games that they feel more pressured and more mentally unstable. That has translated in a lot of errors and in bad home games and in the end, a few losses.

Despite the Seahawks have lost all their road games, I believe that they can take advantage of the Cards bad behaviour at home and play a slow game, controlling the clock, taking advantage of Arizona's mistakes and avoiding to commit their own mistakes. Knowing that this is a divisional game, we must not forget that the Seahawks were heavily defeat by Arizona at home on their previous encounter: 3-27.

After considering the possibilities for this game, there is another plausible scenario for this game, which also helps us on the total. Arizona simply snaps their bad home display and does indeed a good game, finishing the game with a 31-6 score for the Cardinals or even a 24-17, if they play their game like they have done in the road. If that happens, then the Seahawks will only be able to score some late points like they did against the Colts, for example.

Otherwise, Arizona will play very badly like in their previous home games and we can have a surprising Seahawks win, but I don't expect more than 41 points on that case. Right now, both teams can't make mistakes and the pressure on both teams is heavy, specially over Arizona's shoulders, a team that doesn't want to lose the opportunity to win a second game this season against these weak Seahawks.

Overall, I believe that defenses will play much better, the offenses will have difficulties in doing their job thanks to the pressure and fear of failure, minimizing the risks of doing mistakes in order to not favor their adversaries. In my opinion, without both teams last two games and the total line for this game should be around the 42 points, 43 tops. I believe that this Under line has the better odds so I'll take the extra value in this probabilities market.

Pick: Under 46.5 -105 (1.95) Bet Jamaica

Comment

New England Patriots @ Indianapolis Colts

This is the best game of Week 10, with New England Patriots (6-2) coming to Indianapolis with three wins in a row, showing a lot of improvements in their last displays, where they will face a perfect Indianapolis Colts (8-0) team this season.

As we know, QB Tom Brady, one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, was injured last season and it took too much time for him to regain his old form, which was perfectly normal. The Pats O wasn't playing well until Week 4, but since then the New England offense and Tom Brady are playing much better, mainly Brady's deep balls which are hitting their intended targets, like for example, WR Randy Moss, one of the best NFL Wide Receivers, and WR Wes Welker, a very important player for Brady's game, because if Randy Moss is more used on deep balls, Wes Welker is more suited on the short game, but since he is so agile and quick, he can catch the ball and run some extra yards during the game. Besides these two great wide receivers, Tom Brady also has another great option to pass the ball, TE Benjamin Watson.

Patriots rushing game, despite the absences of RB Fred Taylor and RB Sammy Morris, will count with RB Laurence Maroney who has done great games lately and as a backup, we have RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis who also is a quite good player. So, despite these two important injured players being absent, the running game of the Patriots still has good options. I think that Laurence Maroney is an excellent rusher, but he will have difficulties against the Colts ground defense, because on a game like this, everyone is going to give their best.

In the early season, I thought that the Patriots would have some problems on their defense and that they would probably improve during the season, but despite being a unit filled with so much young players, they actually are doing real fine defending well both against the passing game and the rushing game as well. And the team needs them to hold the ground and keep the game close, they have risen to occasion, despite some foolish penalties thanks to their youth and inexperience, a normal thing considering those facts. I believe they will do a good job against the Colts offense tonight.

Indianapolis Colts also have one of the best quarterbacks in the league, QB Peyton Manning is doing a great season, leading his team to a perfect record: 8-0. He doesn't have offensive options as strong as Tom Brady as to choose from, but despite that, the Colts offense also has good weapons like WR Reggie Wayne, WR Pierre Garcon and TE Dallas Clark. From these 3, I highlight Dallas Clark who always shows up in critical situations and is always able to do that catch which gives the Colts the so needed 1st down for the team to keep going forward down the field, which makes him a very important player for the Colts offense

On the rushing game, the Colts have RB Joseph Addai, who has done decent games comparing with the last season, improving his game, but he is not the same Addai like 3 years ago, I think he will have some troubles against the Pats defense. As a backup for Addai, the Colts have backup RB Donald Brown.

Indianapolis defense has 3 important absent players on their secondary, specially SS Bob Sanders who will be surely missed in a game like this, despite the fact his replacement has been playing very well. It is true that this Colts D also has a lot of young players, but this unit has been outstanding and were able to stop the opponents' passing game and rushing game as well. However, this week they will face a great match, an offense that is very powerful and with a lot of seasoned players, which can tip the balance in favour of the Pats in some plays.

New England is playing much better now and I truly think that the Colts will suffer their first loss in the season, because the Patriots are playing much better now and Indianapolis rhythm has dropped lately and they had won their games in a close fashion, their offense is not playing very well, but their defense has done quite well in compensation. We all know that Tom Brady and QB Peyton Manning will play very well and can both throw a lot of touchdown passes, but this is a game that will be played slowly, with a lot of tactical sense, where Defenses will be "Queens", and the offenses will try to not give any free plays to their opponents and thus, I see a lot of value on the Under 49.5 Points and I think that the New England Patriots will win this game SU.

Picks: New England Patriots +3 -125 The Greek and Under 49.5 -105 (1.95) Bet Jamaica

Comment

Baltimore Ravens @ Cleveland Browns (MNF)

Baltimore Ravens (4-4) are in a very complicated situation and they are in a desperate need to score wins and there is not better opportunity for that than facing the lowly Cleveland Browns (1-7). On the current season, Baltimore wasn't able to get the upper hand against strong teams, but when their opponents are weak sides, they have completely dominating those teams and had scored a lot of points too.

Baltimore offense has sophomore QB Joe Flacco, a good player when has enough time to make his calls and we are expecting such a thing tonight. His partners are WR Derrick Mason, Flacco's main target and Ravens' best wide receiver, because if we see things right RB Ray Rice also plays as wide receiver. Baltimore also has TE Todd Heap who is used by Joe Flacco from time to time.

Ravens running game has RB Ray Rice (5.3 YPC) and RB Willis McGahee (4.3 YPC), both are good options to use against the weak Browns' defense and we can expect Baltimore to have good plays both by the air and by the ground.

Baltimore Defense has been completely dominated on the passing game by good teams, but the Ravens' secondary is one of the best in the NFL and against Cleveland won't have big problems on this subject. Curiously, Baltimore defense has been outstanding on their rushing defense, which is a good thing for us, because tonight they will face a team which is stronger on the ground, if we can say that the Browns offense is strong...

Cleveland will start again QB Brady Quinn and I don't think that a good idea, he will have a lot of problems, mainly against ILB Ray Lewis who will take special care of him, and against S Ed Reed, who might pick some of his passes... Browns offense is quite weak on the passing game, with WR Braylon Edwards and WR Mohamed Massaquio, 2 players that haven't done a single touchdown this season. TE Todd Heap who already has 1 touchdown scored is another option, but there is no doubt that by the air, this Cleveland offense is one of the weakest of the NFL.

That's why they prefer to play by running the ball and RB Jamal Lewis and RB Jerome Harrison will have the hard task to penetrate the hardened Ravens rushing defense which has been completely fantastic, so overall, It will be very hard for the Browns to score points against Baltimore tonight.

On the defense, Cleveland has not a great team either, against the passing game is average, but against this Ravens offense, I doubt they will hold them much longer, because not only the Browns have to worry about the Ravens' WRs, but specially their main weakness is playing against the running game, they simply can't stop the opponents' rushing game and they have been completely mauled by their opposition in a weekly basis.

Baltimore only need to win this game to keep their hopes with a wild card alive and I can't see any other result than a win for the Ravens, and with the road favorite team having all the edges on the offense and on the defense, the only strong spot of this Browns team is their ground offense but the Baltimore has improved already on that subject, therefore I will take the Ravens against Cleveland, who I think will lose this game by at least 2 touchdowns.

Pick: Baltimore Ravens -10.5 -105 (1.95) Bet Jamaica

Comment

It was a rough week, all the 3 wins were close, all the losses were clear, even if in two (Broncos and Falcons), I can file a complaint about some key injuries during the games, QB Kyle Orton and RB Michael Turner. Yet, the Falcons can put a lot of blame on themselves, by the way they played on the 4th quarter.

Below is my Week 10 results recap:

70 - Chicago Bears @ San Francisco 49ers: San Francisco 49ers -3 -125 (1.80) Bookmaker (10-6: WIN)
                        71 - Denver Broncos @ Washington Redskins: Denver Broncos -3.5 -105 (1.95) The Greek (27-17: LOSS)
                        72 - Atlanta Falcons @ Carolina Panthers: Atlanta Falcons PK -120 (1.83) 5Dimes (28-19: LOSS)
                        73 - Seattle Seahawks @ Arizona Cardinals: Under 46.5 -105 (1.95) Bet Jamaica (31-20: LOSS)
                        74 - Dallas Cowboys @ Green Bay Packers: Dallas Cowboys -3 +105 (2.05) The Greek (17-7: LOSS)
                        75 - New England Patriots @ Indianapolis Colts (SNF): New England Patriots +3 -125 (1.80) The Greek (35-34: WIN)
                        76 - New England Patriots @ Indianapolis Colts (SNF): Under 49.5 -105 (1.95) Bet Jamaica (35-34: LOSS)
                        77 - Baltimore Ravens @ Cleveland Browns (MNF): Baltimore Ravens -10.5 -105 (1.95) Bet Jamaica (0-16: WIN)

SIDES: 3-3; TOTALS: 0-2 (Week 10: -2.45 units);

NFL 2009 Season record: 41-36 (+1.24 units won/77 units risked);
                        SIDES: 39-29 (+6.38 units won/68 units risked);
                        TOTALS 2-7 (-5.14 units lost/9 units risked).

Pointspreads (57.35%) account for almost 90% of my action, so maybe it's better for me to stick to it for now and leave the bloody totals alone. :P

Comment

For NFL 2009 Week 11, I've only 4 point spreads to risk:

Atlanta Falcons @ New York Giants: New York Giants -7 -110 (1.91) Bookmaker

Arizona Cardinals @ St. Louis Rams: Arizona Cardinals -9 +100 (2.00) The Greek

Cincinnati Bengals @ Oakland Raiders: Cincinnati Bengals -9 -105 (1.95) The Greek

Tennessee Titans @ Houston Texans (MNF): Houston Texans -4 -110 (1.91) Bookmaker

Comment

Atlanta Falcons @ New York Giants

QB Matt Ryan despite the good weapons at his disposal on his offense, is going through a rough patch, suffering 11 interceptions on his last 6 games, which has cost his team several wins. Falcons D has has been bad, very bad against the opponent's passing game and their secondary has been completely outplayed by good opponents' passing games. They are also having troubles to defend against the rushing game and for today, that might be problematic when you face the Giants ground offense.

Falcons offense is one of the best and powerful in the NFL, having WR Michael Jenkins, WR Roddy White and for me the best Tight End of the NFL, Tony Gonzalez, so, for the passing game, they have a lot of solutions, but Matt Ryan lately has not been able to make it work for the Falcons passing game. The rushing game has been completely on fire but with the injury of RB Michael Turner who was in great shape and not been able to practice, we will have an important missing player for the Falcons and it is to RB Jason Snelling to step up and carry the ball down the field.

We can say that the Giants' Bye Week was right on target, the New York team started with a 5-0 record to go 0-4 on the last 4 games, so this Bye Week was providential to recover some players and have some time to think about the future games after the last minute loss against the Chargers. The Giants' major issue has been their secondary, completely outplayed on the last games and they need to improve that, they can't always concede a 30 points average and I think that the Bye Week was important to improve that unit and to practice in order to correct their previous mistakes and with some important players returning after injury, they will have an improved passing game defense.

Giants rushing defense has been playing good and with Michael Turner absent, they will have an easier task today. QB Eli Manning is an excellent quarterback who has been not that good lately, despite his good game against San Diego. He has good tools for his job like WR Mario Manningham, WR Steve Smith and TE Kevin Boss, whom despite their youth, have great talent and quality. Giants rushing game counts with two good rushers, RB Brandon Jacobs and RB Ahmad Bradshaw, very powerful and capable of withstanding the hits and tackles and to win a few more extra yards, so I think that the Giants should use more this option today instead of using only their passing game.

The Falcons are having a lot of troubles playing in the road and they will play in very complicated field against a great team and the way they are defending against the rush and the way their secondary is playing, the Giants will be able to do a good offensive game throughout the field, causing a lot of problems against Atlanta, and I believe they will be able to win this game by more than 1 touchdown.

Pick: New York Giants -7 -110 (1.91) Bookmaker

P.S.: I'm adding San Diego Chargers @ Denver Broncos: San Diego Chargers -6.5 -110 (1.91) Bookmaker as my final pick for Week 11.

Comment

Arizona Cardinals @ St. Louis Rams

Arizona has won all their road games and the Rams haven't won any game at home and I think that thinks will stay pretty much the same. Cardinals are doing great in their offense, QB Kurt Warner is improving his game and has great option to pass the ball (WR Larry Fitzgeral, WR Anquan Boldin or WR Steve Breaston) which makes the Cards passing game very dangerous for the opponents' defenses.

Arizona's running game has improved too on the last weeks, mainly after RB Beanie Wells has taken care of business, which was undoubtedly the Cards weakest part in their offense. Even RB Tim Hightower is also improving his performances and he is also used as a wide receiver for the Kurt Warner's short passes, like a tight end.

Cardinals defense is very good against the rushing game and that is good for us, because the Rams can only carry the ball as their offensive weapon and I'm sure that the Cards D will be enough to stop the Saint Louis ground offense. Arizona's passing defense has ups and downs, sometimes they defend very well and do a lot of pressure, doing good man coverage, sometimes they look like an empty highway. Knowing that the Rams passing game is one of the weakest of the league, the Cardinal defense has everything to give us a good show on this match.

Saint Louis 23 points season high last week could have been good news, but the lowest Cards scoring game was only... 24 points. QB Marc Bulger is having a lot of troubles because his offensive weapons aren't great players (WR Donnie Avery, WR Keenan Burton e TE Randy McMichael) and aren't very used either and when they play, they are unable to do big plays for the team. The Rams rely on their strong suit, the rushing game, thanks to RB Steven Jackson, a great rusher with a 4.8 yards per carry average.

It is true that the Rams has some important injuries on their secondary and that is translated in bad performances against the opponents' passing game and against a great air offense, they will be on the downside. Saint Louis run defense is not good either and they way the Cards had improved on their ground offense, I expect the Rams to have a lot of troubles on their defense.

The Cards are playing well on the road and are scoring a lot of points and I believe that the Rams will continue their low scores performance, the mismatches between both teams makes me think that Arizona has everything to win this game by 2 or more touchdowns.

Pick: Arizona Cardinals -9 +100 (2.00) The Greek

Comment

Philadelphia Eagles @ Chicago Bears

This Sunday Night Football game is extremely important for both teams and for their postseason ambitions, so there is pressure for both teams and errors can happen on both sides.

With RB Westbrook out and things appear to be very ugly for him, I'm afraid if his injury will even ruin and end his NFL career, things will not be good for the Eagles running game and we cannot forget that the Bears play at home and they are a good home team and playing in Chicago is always a difficult thing to do. Philadelphia is not playing good on the road and they showed a lot of problems when they play as a visitor, besides the Bears also have some weapons on their offense and their ground offense can make things very difficult for the Eagles defense.

Overall speaking of both teams, the Eagles have the most complete package than the Bears and I think this Philadelphia -3 line is acceptable but when you are on the road and you aren't doing great as a visitor and have to face a good home team and for me, I can't have a good read on both sides and I wouldn't be surprised if this game is decided by a Field Goal and for me this line has no value and I'm going to stay away from this game.

Comment

Working...
                                X