ILLINOIS FOOTBALL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILLINOIS FOOTBALL

Regarding Illinois Football this year it can only get better, The addition of a New OC and DC has really started to show some dividends in early practice sessions.

The Illini has named red shirt fresh Nathan Sheelhaase as the starting QB. This kid comes out of the Kansas City area and from what I have seen so far he is Big, fast and smart a real play maker. But we all know way to much how first year QB's struggle.

The running game of Illinois is SOLID and I think they will lead the big 10 in rushing yards this year.

The Defense is a HUGE Question Mark and really hurt Illinois last year giving up an average of 30 points a game I believe. Matez Wilson a 5 star Line backer is back this year as Junior. Wilson was expected to have a break out year last year but a kneck injury sidelined him all year.

Last years 3-7 record led Coach Ron Zook to the head of the firing Line. What saved Zook was this major contract he has and with 3 years left. So what did Illinois do they told Zook to fire everyone of your coaches and go out and hire new ones. Illinois said to Zook either improve this year or your gone. While this decision keeps Zook at Illinois for at least one more year it has had a horrible effect on recruiting. The class of 2008 was a very very good recruiting class for Illinois and they are now Juniors now and should play up to potential.

Vic Koening is the DC for Illinois brought in from Kansas State, Koening took the wildcats from 112th in the nation on run defense in 2008 to #16 in the nation in 2009. This is excatly the kind of coach Illinois needs on DEFENSE

Paul Petrino is the OC for Illinois brought in from Arkansas who averaged 37 points a game last year. This coach makes the best use of his QB's and offense. Just another GEM of a find for this anemic offense.

All and all I think Illinois will improve from 3-9 The schedule is loaded for Bear so it will be difficult but I see a 6-6 record possible and a mini bowl game. Anything short of that and I can promise you coach Zook will be gone.

69 days until Missouri

A Scant 69 days are left for Ron Zook and company to prepare for the opening game with Missouri.

I expect Missouri to come out with its high powered fast offense and have their way with Illinois porus Defense.

On Offense the Illini will counter with a red shirt Freshman at QB. His name is NATHAN sHEELHASSE (SHELL HOUSE its pronunced)
    A stud from the Kansas City area. While young he will be fun to watch.

The running game for Illinois is the Best in the Big 10 in my humble opinion and this also tells me that Illinois cannot get into a high scoring affair and expect to win running the ball.

I am gonna say it here FIRST at BettorsWorld and it pains me to say it, this will be Ron Zooks last year at Illinois.

More to follow

Comment

Well the awaited power rankings for Big 10 schedules has been released and it is no surprise that the Illini find them ranked 6th.

Absent this year is Iowa and Wisky from the schedule (two losses)

THe Illini play 2 neutral site games, opening up with a blitz crazy Missouri team and playing Northwestern at Wrigley Field Nov 20. Yes I did say Wrigley Field. I see that this would be the first college football game at wrigley in over 72 years.

Why a baseball field ? Why not Soldier Field? Because its a great marketing draw for everyone involved. This is being looked at as a Home game for the Illini based on crowd. The Wildcats of NW are based just 40 minutes away in Evanston, Illinois.

Illinois has a large alumni base and will fill the seats. I am also going to that game.

So with such a moderate schedule for Illiniois one would think that the coach Ron Zook will be under great pressure to produce some wins.

The Offensive line concerns me for Illinois, especially with a new QB.
      On the receiving side of the ball on offense Illini are lights out fast with 3 receivers who can really open things up.

The Illini has a good corps of running backs and should run the ball 30 times a game.

Special teams are horrible as I see it a Zook weakness from way back.

Comment

A Stud Running back from Joliet Catholic has said Illinois Football is his new home. This kid a 5-8 stud 3 star player will turn your head once you see him play.

JCA High School is a private school tuition about 6k a year to attend is all about Football, Winners of over 8 state titles this school treats academics and Football hand in hand.

I have watched Ferguson play and welcome him with open arms to Illinois. A great pick up for Illinois.
        Some Highlights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbaSFsRMpt0

Joshua Ferguson 2009 Joliet Catholic Academy Football Highlights best of games 1-10

Great In State pick up

Comment

Carpet, Man you know your Illini football. For the record I thought your Illini would have been one of the front runners last year. Keep posting my friend and I really hope your Illini roll this year!! RR84

Comment

Illinois has just added Fritz Rock from MN to join them at the safety position. Rock a 2009 graduate of a State Championship team in MN sat out last year due to academics.

At that time this speedster had offers from MN, Cinnci, and Indiana to name a few but could not qualify the GPA

He is now fully qualified and will be joining the Illini August 5 in Camp Rantoul.

A Look at this kid named FRITZ ROCK, stands 6-0 about 205 lbs has great speed runs the 40 in 4.5 seconds. A 3 star ranking at Rivals.

A late and well needed pick up for Illinois at the Safety position.

The Rock is in the house (Mr Fritz Rock) Welcome Mr Rock to the Orange and Blue.

I have watched film on this player and he can really play, it would not shock me to see him back on kick off duty as well as Safety.

SHIFTING GEARS

August 5th is fast approaching and that is when The Illinois Football Team heads off to Camp Rantoul.

Its almost total isolation in the middle of a depressed town in central Illinois. When the Air Force Base closed at rantoul it decimated the population base and it has never recovered. If you like 100 degree temps in the middle of a corn field to play football then this would be paradise.

A new young red shirt QB is actually adding to ticket sales over the optimism he brings with his talent.

A Defense that was the worst of the worst in all areas last year returns. (The new DC will improve this)

Special Teams another glaring hole only coaching can help this.

This is going to be a very important year for Illinois Football for many reasons in which I will post in another update here exclusive at BettorsWorld.

Carpet

Comment

Working...
            X