Penn State -8 vs Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State -8 vs Illinois

The Illini are heading to Happy Valley to take on the bruised squad from Penn State.

Penn State is battle tested with games against # 1 Bama and # 8 Iowa this year.
    Illinois is coming off a good game vs # 2 Ohio State.

State has the # 18 Defense in the land (total defense) yards allowed at 290

Illinois is climbing the charts at a respectable # 37 only allowing 322

This Illinois team is really playing some good defense and the secondary has come to life picking off Pryor twice last game. (Pryor of Ohio State is really a poor passer with pressure this will haunt OSU in a big game)

The Illini also have a secret weapon it's called the Punter, this kid is # 2 in the nation at 49 yards a kick. Illinois punts allot and look for them to send Penn State deep in their own territory to start the next drive and back to the Illini Defense.

This is going to be a Defensive War with both teams having Superior Running backs, something has got to give in this game.

I see this 14-13 PSU wins a nail bitter. Illinois has a real shot a winning this game straight up but do not think it will happen. Illinois has never won at Happy Valley.
    Kick off is 11am which beats a 7pm WHITE OUT crowd favoring Illini factoring in the 12th man.

More to follow

I am at ground zero looking at this game.

There is an article on the Home Page of Bettors World that was a good read packed with information. One thing that stood out was they pointed out Illinois poor record on Grass. So I decided to look at that.

I looked at the run game for Illinois on grass vs turf over the last 3 years. The focus was the Key running back for Illinois Leshoure

2009- Grass 7.74 yards a carry vs Turf at 6.60

2008 Grass 7.67 a carry vs Turf at 3.22

2010 All turf games

It is very clear to me that the run game of Illinois is important and they have a good one with the back of Illinois who loves grass to run in.

Illinois is starting to believe thy can come in and play with anybody in the nation and give them a good game, this is a good 2007 recruiting class of Illinois coming together on DEFENSE.

More to follow

Comment

Still at ground floor looking at this game.

Good news for Illinois CB Terry (black cat) Hawthorne has been cleared to play a huge boost to this secondary.

I know clear and well that PSU has a great RB named Royster so I decided to look at how running backs have fared on this new and improved defense.

No running back has rushed for 100 yards on Illinois this year:

Missouri- More- 16 touches for 78 yards
      SIU -Walker 11-for 30 yards
      NIU -Spann 13 for 15 yards (and he ran for 234 yards vs Minn)
      Ohio St- Herron 23 for 95 yards

Head to head ve Leshoure the Illini RB he has out gained them 119 yards to 54.

Penn State will present a different type of challenge for Illinois vs Ohio State. In the OSU game Illinois had to stay home on Pryor not risking any chances, but with PSU they will throw more bootlegs and sprint-outs at you.

This creates more opportunity for Illinois defense to create the big play. I am not sold on Bolden the QB of PSU to run it up and down the field on Illinois.

Kicking game is SOLID GOLD for Illinois with the # 2 punter in the nation giving your defense life.

More to follow

Comment

All good stuff Carpet and I love Illinois in this spot!

Comment

Going to play the devils advocate here as I kind of like Penn State myself, at least SU. Illinois may stay within the number but I still see pSU winning at home after a tough game at Iowa last week.

Illinois is getting too much respect for keeping OSU close last week at home, but on the road, its a different ball-game.

No play either-way for me, as I think the number is spot-on, but SU, PSU wins.

Comment

Lookin good so far on Illinois' side. I think I am wrong!!

Comment

Illinois comes out and just runs over PSU today 33-13

Illini gained 275 yards rushing and Leshoure of Illinois had 113 on his own. Who says Illini cant run the ball in grass?

The defense is for real holding PSU to 65 yards rushing and royster to just 35 yards.

First time ever Illinois has won in Happey Valley. This team is for real and the defense is solid

Comment

Cha-Ching $$$$$

Comment

I have never written the following sentence before, but here goes: The Illini coaching staff schooled Penn State Saturday in Happy Valley, showing great preparation, game-planning and execution on offense, defense and, when place kicker Derek Dimke was on the field, on special teams.

The entire football world is viewing Illinois football in a different light today after a solid performance vs 2 OSU and a solid win over Penn State.

There was a word uttered BOWL GAME maybe this year, would be a huge step up for this program ILL at 3-2 would need 3 more wins to qualify.

This team is confident and effective last 2 games and winning games is an attitude that is very contagious. This 2007 squad of recruits along with a new QB are starting to shine.

Did anyone see the hit Leshoure RB put on the LB of Penn State on a run play? 232 pounds of pure energy knocked the LB out of the game.

This is gonna be a very interesting team to follow this year.

Comment

Nice Job!!

Comment

Working...
                    X