Rickjs handicapping picks wk of 10/04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rickjs handicapping picks wk of 10/04

Nothing going on today but did get an email that I thought would be informative.

"Hi Rick,

One question about your baseball handicapping:

Since it's unique to baseball that 2 teams will play several consecutive games in a set, it seems to be a pattern that you will pick a team that won as an underdog against the same team on the previous day.

If this is the case, is it because you feel there is added value with the underdog because the wagering public will bet on the favorite simply because "there's no way the Orioles are going to beat the Yankees again today"?

Thanks!"

My Response:

If this is a pattern I am not aware of it. That situation is something I dont even consider in coming out with my picks. I view each day independently of the other.

What this season indicates is that good pitchers and to a lesser degree good teams are over valued when they are road favorites. How much? Well based upon this season about 10%. Since that is what our return was based upon widely available lines. Now if your line shopping and get only .05 better per game that equates to about another 4 unit gain which equates to another 3.5% return.

So you can increase your return by over 33% by just getting .05 better then what is widely available at the time I post. Thats the importance of line shopping!

To further answer your question really the only pattern I can see is that almost without exception we are on home dogs....where the better pitcher is on the road...and sometimes also the better team.

I hope this answers your question.

Nfl 2010

Picks 5-5

Hilton Contest 12-8
    Leroys Contest 11-9

Ncaa FB
    2010/2011

Picks: 9-6-1

Mlb 2010

Total:
    plays 27-28 +11.13
    leans 49-54 +5.21

October:
    Plays
    Leans 0-2 -2.00

September:
    Plays 8-7 +3.63
    Leans 9-14 -3.20

August
    plays 5-4 +3.73
    leans 12-16 -0.95

July
    Play 1-3 -1.61
    Lean 6-4 +3.80

June
    Play 6-5 +3.49
    Lean 7-12 -3.58

May
    play: 7-2 +6.90
    Leans: 8-1 +8.84

April
    plays: 1-6 -4.92
    Leans: 7-7 +2.30

RickJ
    Rickjshandicappingpicks.blogspot.com
    Twitter: rickjsportplays

Saturday ncaa fb

Nothing much this week but today 2 plays in ncaa fb:

358 S. Carolina +7
    388 Kentucky +6.5

I havnt started on the nhl yet but will post in a bit if there
    is anything today.

Good Luck Today

RickJ

Comment

Our first nhl plays of the year.

Phoenix +110
      New Jersey +140

Again if you cant get a dime line in the nhl I would pass. My plays are based
      upon a dime line.

There are a few other games that could swing into plays today but the betting
      volume is so small that unless its really clear Cut i will probably put them out
      an hour or so before game time.

Good Luck Today

RickJ

Comment

Sunday nfl and Mlb

Saturday we went 2-0 in ncaa football....with S. Carolina not only covering but breaking
        Alabama's 19 game win streak beating them outright by 2 touchdowns. Kentucky was a wild high scoring game which ended our way when Auburn set up the last play of the game to score a field goal and only winning by 3. That brings our win streak to 7 games in ncaa fb and 64% for the season.

In the Hilton contest going 4-1 last week brought my record through week 4 to 12-8 or 60@.

Today in the Hilton contest my picks are:

Carolina +2.5
        Tampa Bay +6.5
        Arizona +6.5
        Philadelphia +3
        Tenn +6.5

In Leroys and only difference is I am getting 3.5 on Phil.

So far today the only play is Tampa Bay +6.5

I will update later if anything else develops.

In mlb there is 1 lean today:

971 - C Hamels
        972 CIN - J Cueto +120
        I got +126

Good Luck Today

RickJ

Comment

another nfl play

Arizona +6.5

Also could be one more in the late game tonight.

RickJ

Comment

another nfl play

And the final nfl play of the day:

Phil +3

There are some 3.5s out there along with +3 even or plus odds. I am putting it out
            at 3 since that is widely available.

Good Luck

RickJ

Comment

rickjs handicapping picks week of 10/11

It doesn't get much better then this. 2-0 this weekend on the ncaa fb picks, 3-0 on the nfl picks, 4 of the 5 plays won outright easily as dogs, 4-1 in the hilton and leroys contest. Through week 5 of the nfl over 60 percent on college and pro football plays and 16-9 in the Hilton contest...64%.

This should bring me in the top 20 going into week 6 ....close to the top 10.

There will be some rough sledding ahead but its nice to get a good jump in the Hilton contest where you can take a bad week and still be over 60%.

In mlb we lost our lean on Cinci. Our Leans in mlb have dropped dramatically in relation to the plays. So I will probably keep that format next season since there is such a big difference this year between leans and plays in mlb.

Today not much to look at. Nothing I can see in an game today. So a break today.

Also I have discovered another indicator on my football plays that will most likely work for anyone that plays poker regularly. At the game last week I mentioned that the only game I liked was S. Carolina....and one of the players(actually a person whose handicapping abilities I respect) seemed to be upset that I would have a play against a team that had won 19 in a row! But of course S. Carolina not only covered easily but won outright by 2 touchdowns.

So if your ever in doubt about a play you have...just mention you have it at the poker table...and if any of the players become upset or laugh at your play.....thats a very good indication your on the right side

Also an email:

"Hey Rick, great day today! My question is about when the lines move. The Minn, Iowa St. and UNLV games all lost half a point today, do you think they were still profitable after that? If so how much value do you think they lost? Especially Iowa st going from getting 7 to 6.5"

My response:

In College football I dont worry much about half point moves. In the nfl half point moves off of 3 have to be respected...and to a lesser degree half point moves off of 7. As far as value lost.......I really dont know.....I have never looked at value of half point moves off of certain numbers. Perhaps someone else that follows this blog can help out.

RickJ

Comment

Working...
              X