ILLINOIS MENS BASKETBALL vs Oakland 12-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILLINOIS MENS BASKETBALL vs Oakland 12-8

Next up for the Illini are the Oakland Golden Grizzlies 5-3 coming out of the Summit League to pay a visit to Illinois.

Basic Intelligence shows that this Grizzlies team loves to score points averaging 82 a game with 3 players sharing the scoring load. The Biggest threat is 6-11 Benson who is scoring 19 points a game with his 230 pound frame inside. They also have Hamilton at 16 and Hudson at 14 a game.

They are not much on defense giving up over 72 points a game.

Oakland lost to Purdue this year 82-67. The Golden Grizzlies play in a weak summit conference but they are the best team in that conference riding a 13 game win streak in league play.

It is not unusual for a team like Oakland to load up on some tough games in their schedule, so far they have played Purdue, Illinois is up next and Michigan State and Michigan after that for the Grizzlies. I just don't think this is your usual Cup Cake team and will give Illinois some problems.

When I looked at that Purdue game it was clear that Oakland can score from Almost anywhere and they don't care where they shoot from very unorthodox style of play.

I don't believe that Coach Weber will allow a let down coming into this 2 game stretch of mid majors with this team coming up before the Missouri game, but I do think Oakland could cause Illinois some fits in this game. That west coast travel takes a couple days to get your body back into normal so I expect Illinois to come out sluggish in the game and wake up later.

The Illini have a few days to get the land legs back in central time as the game is 12-8

More to follow

I saw Oakland play against Southern on Black Friday. Oakland is a very large and atheltic group that can rebound and shoot from anywhere. The key there is they can offensive rebound! Second chance opportunities galore!!

They are a perfect high/low team. Benson (6'11") is a beast on the boards and with the ball down low. Hamilton shoots 40% from the arc, and in Bader and now there are two guys that can nail from 3 range.

You may believe that there will be no let down by playing at home against UNC and going to the Pacific Northwest to play the Zags.

However, don't forget, the sportbooks and public may feel very strong about the Illini and may quite possibly have an overinflated line that may be pushed too high.

If the books are going to give me 12-14+ points, well, you know what I'm going to do.

Illinois will not lose but they will be challenged by a team looking for respect and positioning for the tournament. They will make the tournament because of the weak conference. I can easily see this team being a 13 or 14 and reak havoc on a 3 or 4 seed comes March.

Comment

Exactly my point TaxMan this is a team to keep an eye on

I expect the line to come in at 13.5 at present time, but this is not the time to push the road dog button. We must remember one important thing in this matchup.

Oakland plays Zero Defense and Coach Weber prides his style with defense.

I see Illinois smothering this team on defense and turn over galores leading to the transition game for Illinois.

Oakland is weak on guarding the outside shot and the Illini are spot on in the pick and pop from the 5 spot a seldom seen option for a team.

There is no way over 40 minutes this grizzlie team will be able to run with the 9 thorough breeds Illinois is going to throw at them I see it
      ILLINOIS 87-70

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
        Hamilton shoots 40% from the arc, and in Bader and now there are two guys that can nail from 3 range.
        Oakland has one player that can hit the 3 at a clip of 44% and you are correct it is Reggie Hamilton hitting 22-50. Outside of that they are 32% as a team from beyond the arc. Bader is 36% on 15-41 shots.

Hamilton is a crafty little guard standing 5-11 with lifts in his shoes and weighing in at 175 pounds. I look for Illinois to place DJ Richardson 6-3 guard with clamp down defense to slow hamilton down.

This is exam week at Illinois and for many students nationally, the kids are returning to try and create a balance of school work and team work.

Illinois moves to # 16 today in the worthless AP poll but was ESPNS Team of the week in Collge basketball.

Just to many WEAPONS at Coach Weber's disposal for the Grizzlies to beat Illinois. Illinois is solid 1-9 off the bench very deep, smart Senior Leadership will showcase itself.

The Grizzlies have not played vs a PG like Demetri Mccamey this year a dish and dash play maker that leads this team as a Senior and I know full well that Oakland has no one and I mean no one who could stop demetri in this game.

The issue of rebounding game up today for Coach Weber and Weber said the reason we are losing the RB battle is that we are playing very hard outside on defense and many of those long range misses are bad ones that we create and it is causing us to be out of place on those clankers.

Illinois is Holding teams to less that 27% from the arc that's pretty good.

I have no line for this game at current time

Comment

I cant find a line on this game as of yet

Comment

Originally posted by Carpet View Post
            I cant find a line on this game as of yet
            No Line last 2 games on the board with No line ? What do they know that we dont the book why the delay ?

Comment

It opened @ Illini -15 a some places. I think that is way too much to ask. Then again I am great fade material whenever I post.

Comment

TaxMan I dont see any lines open at Vegas Insider on this game, where are you seeing this line at?

Another question is why such a late time for a line to open so close to a game, makes me a bit nervous.....

Comment

The line is up, I think it may have been that Oakland was taking finals last night or the time of the game was up in the air.

Anyway, it's 14.5 at the online books I see.

Comment

I dont see it any where and this game is off the board I need a line on a game and vegas insider who has 8 different sites it is off the board, also checked BoDog my account and was no line

Comment

7:00pEXTRA GAME (This Event is Closed for Betting) RecapFinal 603 Oakland
                      +14½ - - 63
                      604 Illinois
                      -14½ - - 74

Didn't look hard enough, it was on Bodog. I use SIA, it went up around 5PM.

Comment

ZSHIMER

HEY YOU GUYS, WHAT'S HAPPENED TO ZSHIMER AND HIS OVER & UNDERS? HE WAS
                        PRETTY DAMN GOOD LAST YEAR IN COLLEGE BASKETS.

Comment

They used a girls basketball for the 1st 6 or 7 minutes of this game. I can't believe nobody noticed this right away.

Comment

Two Illinois players did notice that something was wrong with the ball told the refs and coach weber, Weber said just shoot the ball and make some shots. The refs were blind, Finally Mike Tisdale looked at the ball and found a # 6 marking for womens basketball.

The refs were the worst I have ever saw

Comment

Working...
                            X