Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you interested in a "Hilton" Style Contest here at Bettorsworld, please sign in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

woo hoo!

Comment

The Boys

Interested, but have a few questions.

I assume the Hilton reports the winners to the IRS? Therefore, if one or a group of individuals entered and if they won (big if) what are the tax consequences? That is, does one individual who signed up get hit with the tax and therefore there is some pre agreement how that is paid off to the IRS?

The reason I bring this up is that a couple of years back had a relative back east win a renovated 1955 T-Bird in a raffle. It was an agreed upon group purchase of the tickets but with an assigned single named to each individual purchased raffle ticket. One of the tickets won and they attempted to sell the T-Bird for the designated appraised raffle price. They didn’t get near the designated appraised raffle price when they sold it. The individual whose name was on the winning ticket was responsible for the taxes. Well, as you can guess, when dealing with money, problems occurred and especially with the tax consequences.

Also, since you want multiple folks to sign up, I assume only 2 or 3 persons with previous solid NFL records would make the weekly selections – yes. If not, how do you in vision the weekly picks to be made?

At your convenience, would appreciate a response to the above. Thanks.

laxsfo99

Comment

Originally posted by laxsfo99 View Post
        The Boys

Interested, but have a few questions.

I assume the Hilton reports the winners to the IRS? Therefore, if one or a group of individuals entered and if they won (big if) what are the tax consequences? That is, does one individual who signed up get hit with the tax and therefore there is some pre agreement how that is paid off to the IRS?

The reason I bring this up is that a couple of years back had a relative back east win a renovated 1955 T-Bird in a raffle. It was an agreed upon group purchase of the tickets but with an assigned single named to each individual purchased raffle ticket. One of the tickets won and they attempted to sell the T-Bird for the designated appraised raffle price. They didn’t get near the designated appraised raffle price when they sold it. The individual whose name was on the winning ticket was responsible for the taxes. Well, as you can guess, when dealing with money, problems occurred and especially with the tax consequences.

Also, since you want multiple folks to sign up, I assume only 2 or 3 persons with previous solid NFL records would make the weekly selections – yes. If not, how do you in vision the weekly picks to be made?

At your convenience, would appreciate a response to the above. Thanks.

laxsfo99

lax,

This is a Bettorsworld contest open to all interested, it's a mock Hilton contest, hope you can join us.

Our team sponsor went to Vegas and signed the team up for the contest and then every Friday after that our proxy submitted the 5 picks by 12:00 for the next 17 weeks. Our sponsor collected the prize money and filled out the required tax forms. He then cut us each a check for our share of the winnings along with a 1099. So yes I did have to pay taxes on my share of the winnings.

Comment

Originally posted by Monroe Eaford View Post
          The Boys, I heard that you were on a team that won the hilton contest a few years ago. Can you confirm this?
          VERY NICE!! THE BOYS... I am assuming that this is a NFL contest which I stink at. I would love to do a college type one. Is it a deal where you have like five team members or is it an individual contest. I would do it if it were a team thing as long as my partners don't mind a serious handicap. Although I could give you my picks up front and you could pick the one out of them I am most likely to lose.(and there would be plenty)lol.

Comment

Originally posted by red raider 84 View Post
            VERY NICE!! THE BOYS... I am assuming that this is a NFL contest which I stink at. I would love to do a college type one. Is it a deal where you have like five team members or is it an individual contest. I would do it if it were a team thing as long as my partners don't mind a serious handicap. Although I could give you my picks up front and you could pick the one out of them I am most likely to lose.(and there would be plenty)lol.
            It's a NFL contest. Read my very first post. I'm trying to simulate the Hilton NFL contest here on Brttorsworld.

Comment

7 in so far........we need more.

Comment

I'm not seeing the interest I thought we might get. I guess the $50.00 is the reason?????

Comment

That was the old letitride.com site that sponsored the contest. Pregame took them over. I believe they still sponsor a team in the Hilton Contest. Jeff sponsored a team for a couple of years as well

Comment

Originally posted by xbigpappa View Post
                    That was the old letitride.com site that sponsored the contest. Pregame took them over. I believe they still sponsor a team in the Hilton Contest. Jeff sponsored a team for a couple of years as well
                    Yep, the old letitride.com team won it in 2004 and was out of the money in 2005. Not sure if Pregame is doing it this year??

Comment

I am still interested, so lets try to get at least 10 guys and do it if possible. I can keep score, and I assume we will have someone hold the money.

The key here is an Hilton "style" contest not the actual hilton contest.

Basically we would pick 5 games each, and then the winner get the cash as allocated. $50 is not that much ans would add some fun. Basically a contest here at BW, but the prize money is our own...kind of like an office pool or fantasy football league really.

Lets get a solid number and I will be happy to help out getting it going.

Comment

Originally posted by woodee12 View Post
                        I am still interested, so lets try to get at least 10 guys and do it if possible. I can keep score, and I assume we will have someone hold the money.

The key here is an Hilton "style" contest not the actual hilton contest.

Basically we would pick 5 games each, and then the winner get the cash as allocated. $50 is not that much ans would add some fun. Basically a contest here at BW, but the prize money is our own...kind of like an office pool or fantasy football league really.

Lets get a solid number and I will be happy to help out getting it going.
                        Bettorsworld is will to put up $300 in prize money if we want to do a Mock Hilton Contest.......that could be fun. Woodee do you want to keep score?

Comment

Yeah, so would we have to put in $50 a person then too?

I should be able to score it most likely if it is not too huge. 5 picks per person is quite a bit if its huge, so if someone has some kind of software we could use, that would be best. I am not too good with spread sheets etc, and would be mostly by hand if I were to score it.

Comment

Originally posted by woodee12 View Post
                            Yeah, so would we have to put in $50 a person then too?

I should be able to score it most likely if it is not too huge. 5 picks per person is quite a bit if its huge, so if someone has some kind of software we could use, that would be best. I am not too good with spread sheets etc, and would be mostly by hand if I were to score it.
                            No entry fee..............Bettorsworld will put up $300 prize money. I doubt it will be huge. Players must come in on week #1, no late entries.........I'll put up a post tomorrow and we'll get things going, how does that sound?

Comment

Based on when Jeff sponsored a BW team a few years ago, I find that when guys have to submit their pics using the Hilton's deadlines, they dont do as good as when the post pics an hour or so before game time on sundays. I picked 4 the best players from the BW NFL GOW contest for the Hilton Contest, and we never could make it into the top 100 or so players in the Hilton contest.

Comment

Originally posted by xbigpappa View Post
                                Based on when Jeff sponsored a BW team a few years ago, I find that when guys have to submit their pics using the Hilton's deadlines, they dont do as good as when the post pics an hour or so before game time on sundays. I picked 4 the best players from the BW NFL GOW contest for the Hilton Contest, and we never could make it into the top 100 or so players in the Hilton contest.
                                You better check again because me and at least another guy were right there with the top Hilton pickers year before last.

Comment

Working...
                                X