Teams that could surprise - Week 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teams that could surprise - Week 1

There are some big lines to start the season, and giving that many points this early might not be the smart thing to do. Here are a few teams that could very easily finish inside the rather large spreads. Keep in mind that I'm not necessarily making picks on all of these, just sayin' is all......

Minnesota +8.5 at San Diego - I liked it better at +9, but maybe it will lean that way before KO. San Diego has been a notoriously slow starter the past few years, but their 1st team did look killer in pre-season didn't they? Still, it isn't like the Vikings are starting a rookie at QB like a couple of the other dogs. Donovan McNabb may be getting old but he's still got a ton of experience. And he does have arguably the best RB in football on his side in Adrian Peterson, as well as one of the more dangerous guys with the football in his hands, Percy Harvin. And the Vikings D is at least a capable one. A lot of people expect a rout in this game but I'm not so sure that the Vikings can't keep it to around a TD in this game if they can get any semblance of a running game going, which I think they should be able to do. If they can't control the clock a bit though and grind out some first downs they will be in trouble as the SD offense is just too prolific an offense, and you can't give them the ball for 33+ minutes a game and keep it close too.

Indianapolis +9 at Houston - A lot of times we have seen a defense really step it up when the offense takes a hit. I could see that happening here. I agree it's Manning that makes the offense really click, but you do still have an awful lot of weapons to work with. Unless Collins just absolutely stinks this could be a similar case as in Minnesota at San Diego with a veteran QB with some decent weapons and an adequate defense doing just enough to prevent it from being a double-digit loss.

Carolina +7 at Arizona - The difference between Cam Newton and some other starting rookie QB is that he can really scramble, which could end up bailing him out on more than one occasion. Plus, the Panthers have a killer RB combo. With Newton's scrambling ability, in combination with the strong running game, the Panthers could chew up some serious clock. And have we really seen Kolb establish any kind of rapport yet with anyone other than Larry Fitzgerald? I could see this game easily being within a FG.

interesting takes. I like this post (no button so I'll say it)
    I'll play devil's advocate and through some counterpoints to think about.
    I agree with veteran QB's being a bit underestimated. Though I think it may take a little bit for them to grow into their team. Each is playing a very good team (both houston and san diego I have going into the playoffs atop their division) and both are away.
    I'm not as high on Kolb as many other people have been. He's capable but I don't seem him being an all time great qb just yet. Still, I've seen nothing good from carolina yet. They have good running backs and you're right they could chew up the clock but if they let Fitz get into the endzone they won't be able to afford that and they'll have to go to the air (and away from their strength).

Here's another interesting variable I was thinking about earlier. The Jets Cowgirls game. Jets should be riding high to prove themselves as contenders and with the memory of 9/11. I do believe that will be a factor. I like the jets there.

Comment

Houston will kill the Colts. Indy is a horrible team without #18. Texans by 24+

Comment

Originally posted by Bama25 View Post
        Houston will kill the Colts. Indy is a horrible team without #18. Texans by 24+
        Interesting analysis....I appreciate the input.

Comment

I like Carolina + the points as well.

Not enough to make a wager on it, but i have a feeling Carolina will be able to run the ball on them and that alone will keep it a close game.

Arizona has a sketchy D as well, I think it turns into a shootout in the 2nd half

Comment

Working...
          X