Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do large fan bases affect the line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do large fan bases affect the line?

I heard ESPN's Sal Palontonio comment that one of the reasons the Philadelphia Eagles were road favorites over Atlanta this week is because Philadelphia has a lot of fans, and is a big sports betting town, and Las Vegas was trying to get it bet down.

Does a teams fanbase affect the line? For instance, do the Jets and Giants get, say and extra 1/2 point from Vegas because the books fear there will be too much action on the NY teams? How about the hugely popular Cowboys? Does a small market team, like say, Indy or Jacksonville get a 1/2 point or more shaved off because they have small fan bases?

I also remember when New England won their first superbowl, Boston area bookies skipped town because they took way too much action on the underdog Patriots from local betters and went belly up.

Has anyone ever done computer research on how certain team fanbases affect the line and if so is it anything substantial?

I've heard that the Dallas fan/betting base does affect the line. Not sure how true it is and not sure about the others. I'd say no on the small fan base teams getting points shaved. There are teams the betting public takes a shine to that can be considered small market, like the Chargers for example, who probably get shaded up a bit if anything.

Comment

GLAD YOU WERE ABLE TO GET IN THERE....JUST SAYING I WOULDN'T HAVE EVER ONCE WANTED TOO MISS THIS....

Comment

There was an interesting study done on this topic, as it pertains to baseball. I will have to dig it up, as I have it somewhere. Don't want to say the wrong thing, so I'll try to find it.

In football, there are always going to be "public" teams but small market teams can be "public" teams we well. The Colts would fit into that category over the years with Manning. The Cowboys, the Pats.

In baseball, back in the 90's, bettors would line up to bet the Braves and Yankees every day regardless of the line.

I'd say if there's anything to be had here edgewise, you'd be more likely to find it in college sports and baseball.

The NFL is so damn huge, it's the most bet on sport in the world. There is an incredible amount of sharp money out there as well that will iron the numbers out.

So, in my opinion, yeah, there is something to the whole fan base angle, or, simply, "public" teams, but not like 20 years ago when I think there was an edge to be had, even in the NFL.

Palontonio is right about Philly being a sportsbetting town. But I don't think he's right about the number on that game.

Comment

Working...
        X