• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Week #6

Lines From The Greek. I trust his lines and he's a damned sharp bettor:

1105 St Louis Rams
    1106 Green Bay Packers -14 47½

You may think this is a lotta wood to chop and it certainly is; however, when GB is averaging 35 points a game and the Rams are putting up 11, it's a pretty certain bet GB will win and so the question is can they win by 3 scores? Is GB maybe looking ahead to visiting Minnesota? I doubt it. Pack at home is deadly: GB -14

1107 Jacksonville Jaguars
    1108 Pittsburgh Steelers -12½ 40

Jags usually play Pittsburgh in these strangely close battles, but with a rookie QB completing less than 54% against a Steeler squad at homewith QB Roethlisberger completing 63%, I have to pass here. Could go either way, Steelers squeaking one out or winning in a laugher. Pass, but if you put a gun to my head, I'd take the 12½. Pitts @ Arizona next week shouldn't be any distraction.

1109 Philadelphia Eagles -3 47½
    1110 Washington Redskins

OK - so the line makers played the same game last week, making the Eagles favorites over Buffalo. This week a 1-4 team is favored on the road, against a 3-1 team with some semblance of a defense. Hard to imagine huh? Ok, I got them last week and they are usually not easy 2X in a row, much less once. Eagles look towards a bye and Washington travels to Carolina. Big divisional matchup here as a loss by the Eagles would truly be the end of any playoff hopes, barring a collapse by Washington and NY. never too early for a MUST WIN and that's the play here. Eagles -3 Oh and remember, when you make a sucker bet, there can only be one sucker.

1111 San Francisco 49ers
    1112 Detroit Lions -4½ 46

Interesting matchup I'd like to see on TV. SF and Detroit are early Cinderella stories. Bottom line, Lions have more weapons and can stop the run, pressure the QB better than the 49ers. Good game to watch Pass

1113 Carolina Panthers
    1114 Atlanta Falcons -3½ 50½

Can any team stop Cam Newton? the answer so far is no. Looking for an upset here against an Atlanta team that has had trouble putting pressure on the opposing QB with their front 4. Panthers are NEVER out of a game with the Wunderkind at the helm. Carolina +3½

1115 Indianapolis Colts
    1116 Cincinnati Bengals -6 40½

Bengals have the D, but have a very bad habit of playing down to the level of their competition. Can't bet the Colts after they blew a huge lead at home against KC, but Bengals as a favorite are no bargain. Pass.

1117 Buffalo Bills +105
    1118 New York Giants -3 -125 50

Here goes the line makers again - making (IMHO) the wrong team the favorite. Note the -125 @ 3, meaning this guy wants to stay on 3. I like Buffalo here and would like them a lot more at +3½ - easy to find with some shopping. Buffalo +3½

1119 Houston Texans -120
    1120 Baltimore Ravens -7 +100 45

Note the line is Baltimore -7 at the time of this post. Spread is spread out here from 7-9, so all you shoppers can play for the elusive middle. I like the Ravens here -7, a little less at -9, so let's call it 8. Houston missing WR Johnson and DE Williams, so the onus is on RB Foster, who is on a fools errand against the middle of the Baltimore line. Ravens get some players back from injury off the bye and passing is the way to beat this team, Schwab and Co. able to make hay through the air, but I always like to say "You simply can not throw forever." Look for ball-hawking Raven D to takeaway 3 today. Texans have an O line that can give passing time, but Baltimore D coordinator Pagano has this bunch doing a very good impression of the '85 Bears. I like the Ravens -8

1121 Cleveland Browns
    1122 Oakland Raiders -7 +100 44½

Inflated line here as I only make Oakland a 4-5 point home favorite. Cleveland QB McCoy certainly doesn't keep anyone up at night and Browns Version 2.0 is in games due mainly to defense. I like the Raiders, but not the line. Pass

1123 Dallas Cowboys
    1124 New England Patriots -6½ 55

Wow - can you imagine 247 players at the Hilton Super Contest selected Dallas (but at +7). Dallas D coordinator Ryan certainly compares notes with twin brother Rex and Dallas O line did a great job vs Detroit, losing on 2 Tony Romo INTs. Give Romo hell all you like, but the bulk of the blame belongs to O coordinator calling pass plays with a seemingly insurmountable lead. Can 247 of the sharpest bettors in the country be wrong? Yes, why yes they can. Pats -6½

1125 New Orleans Saints -6 49
    1126 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Bucs have to be ready to make amends for last outing, but with the Saints in town, I doubt they'll fare well. Good teams win on the road and NO's only loss a opening day defeat to GB, where they were at the goal line at the end. Important game for both clubs as NO leads the division 4-1, Tampa is a game behind at 3-2. Saints have the chance to push Tampa further down in the standings I like the Saints -6

1127 Minnesota Vikings
    1128 Chicago Bears -3 +110 41½

As the late Pete Axthelm used to say - this is the "Broken Winshield Game." I had two tickets to this game on my dashboard when I stopped for milk at the Quick-Mart. When I came out, my windshield was broken and there were 4 tickets. Defending NFC Central Champ Chi-town is all but done in the hunt for a playoff berth and Minnesota - gee what can you really say about the McNabb led Vikes? Have to try the Bears here as Minnesota's only win is vs a shaky Arizona squad. I'll lay a FG with the Bears at home. Bears -3

Monday, October 17, 2011

1129 Miami Dolphins -120
    1130 New York Jets -7 +100 42½

Two lousy teams going nowhere, playing for nothing in front of "crowds" soon to be as empty seats. Really - does anyone care about either team besides HC Sporano who is destined to be the 1st casualty of the coaching ranks? QB Gerrard wouldn't sign in Miami for 2 million dollars because he could see the entire process was an exercise in futility, not because it wasn't enough money. Teams in this situation do one of two things: play lights out to save the HC as well as make themselves appealing; or lay down and get the HC fired - yeah - I've seen them do exactly that . . . QB Moore is actually a serviceable replacement for IR bound Henne, so with desperation, a large national audience and a coach halfway out the door, I'll take a flyer on Miami +7 and hope the line inflates to 8 or better as game time approached
    As Always - Good Luck,

Sonny
Working...
X