ILLINOIS -4.5 vs Purdue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILLINOIS -4.5 vs Purdue

It is early and I really have not had chance to get ground floor (Carpet's Level) on this game with Purdue. We all know that the boilers are playing better football as of late and they sure stayed with Penn State last game as a 12 point dog.

I see a few lines that have Illini -4 to -4.5

A few stats that jumped right off the floor to look at:

SACKS BY DEFENSE. This stat tells me 2 things, the boiler heads will not be getting to the Illini QB and the Illini will be bringing some heat on the Purdue QB.

ILL 26 in 7 games
    PU 6 in 6 games

PENALTIES

ILL 29 flags for 260 yards
    PU 49 flags for 403 yards

FIELD GOAL % MADE

ILL 7-7 100%
    PU 9-14 64%

Must be all those penalties pushing purdue out of field goal range.

Early thoughts are that Illinois should be able to open up the offense and score at least 28 points, while the defense holds Purdue to 10 points.

Too few points for a team too talented.

Illini should roll.

Comment

The line continues to drop, picking up some as low as -3.5 Illinois.

Just what is the betting public seeing? I suspect the loss to Ohio State has many questioning Illinois, combine that with Purdue hanging with an average Penn State team. I am at ground level looking at this game.

Purdues Offense is designed to move the ball without dominating physically the line, they accomplish this by using draws, misdirection's, trapping to keep the defense from getting up field and in the QB's face.

I am not sold on the coach of Purdue, he has some good players and if Purdue wins this game it only because these players played out side of their shoes.

So what is the Illini mind set coming into this game?

Coach Zook says Purdue reminds him of ARK State only with Big 10 players. This tells me volumes. The Coach also said I don't care if we are playing the Green Bay packers next it is imperative we win this game.

Locker room is up beat, practice has been up beat and these players are starting to take ownership, a key ingredient to a solid team.

I am thinking that Purdue coaches watched the game film of Illinois vs Ohio State and figure they can do the same thing just run the ball. Might be true if you have a front NFL offensive line and Dan Heron running the ball but they don't and nothing close.

Look for Illinois to open up the play book in this game stretching the field with the passing game (I Know it). Illinois returns Darius Milines at WR adding a dual threat on the passing game.

Comment

I think Illinois is the worst 1 loss team in the nation myself. Tough spot for Illinois off an emotional loss to a bad OSU team. Purdue is not great but I think this game will be closer than expected.

Comment

No Dis-repsect toyou guys either as I am a little bit of an Illinois fan myself, but see them being a little over-valued right now.

84% of bets are on them and the line is going the other way, so its one of those where the sharp money is on Purdue.

I hoep ILL wins but it may be by only 2-3 points on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by woodee12 View Post
            I think Illinois is the worst 1 loss team in the nation myself. Tough spot for Illinois off an emotional loss to a bad OSU team. Purdue is not great but I think this game will be closer than expected.
            Woodee, I would have to agree looking at the top 25 Illinois is the worst 6-1 team ranked. But they are ranked.

But I must disagree that the loss to Ohio State was a huge emotional loss for this team. The Illini know after watching game films they beat themselves vs Ohio State. Ohio State is no slouch especially getting these players back at the right time (Ohio State is loaded)

All week long the Illini have been working out in full contact drills, the focus has especially been placed on the wide receivers, the drill is to catch a ball with 2 defenders in your face. Frustrated by the dropped passes by the receivers vs Ohio State the Illini are working on fixing this thing called catching a pass and holding on.

I am not convinced that the Hard Hats will be able to stop Illinois air game.

This is the best defense and offense combined Purdue has faced all year, If Illini limit turnovers they win this game by 11 points.

Comment

Sure didnt see the wheels come off so fast for this team, totally blind sided me

Comment

Yes, the level of competition has gone up as early schedule shows and I know that Purdue pretty much owns Illinois at home (don't ask me why) but this does not explain why Illinois is playing it's worst football games this season. They seem to be going backwards.

Next up Penn State at Happy Valley, Penn State is playing some very improved football last few games, I think Alabama was a great primer for them coming into Big 10 play.

When a team can go 6-0 despite the lack of a special teams, combined with the non ability to limit turnovers, and has poor clock management it is only a matter of time before the wheels come off.

Can the Illini simply grease that wheel that needs fixing and get back on track? Or maybe it can't be fixed in time to take on the likes of Michigan, Wisconsin .

Mark my vote as concerned

Comment

Working...
                X