Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday Night Football - Baltimore at Jacksonville discussion

Current line - Baltimore -10.5 O/U 38.5

Baltimore - 4-1 record and all 4 wins by at least 15 pts., but just 1-1 on the road losing to Tennessee by 13. In the 4 wins they have only given up a total of 45 pts (7, 7, 14 and 17) and have scored a minimum of 29 pts (35, 37, 34 and 29). Flacco has just a 79.6 QB rating completing only 51.4 % of his passes for 7 TD's vs 4 INT's. The Baltimore defense has been very good allowing less than 300 yds per game on average (76 rush/209 pass) with an average of 3 sacks, and nearly 3 TO's, per game.
    Baltimore is +5 in TO ratio. Baltimore offense is averaging 367 yds per game, 122 rush/245 pass. An interesting observation is that the Ravens have out-scored opponents 59-7 in the 1st Q. The 1st Q line tonight is Balt -1.5 at even odds (I've already put a 1/2 unit on that). They've also been tough in the 4th Q allowing just 6 pts total while scoring 26, an average score of 5.2-1.2, so I will be looking closely at the 4th Q line total. The 2nd-3rd Q scoring has been nearly dead even.

Jacksonville - 1-5 record (0-3 with Gabbert starting). With the exception of the Jet game they have not really been blown out, losing by a max of 13 to New Orleans, and then 6, 10 and 4 to CAR, CIN and PIT. They were only trailing NO 14-10 at HT and then lost the 2nd H 9-0. Against Cincinnati they were tied 13-13 at HT and actually led 20-16 until nearly halfway through the 4th Q when CIN scored twice, once on a fumble return as time expired.
    The Jaguar defense really hasn't been that bad, allowing under 300 yds of offense in 4 of 5 games, while givng up an average of just 115 yds rushing and 210 passing per game. What killed them in the Jet rout is the offense giving up 4 INT's and a safety. Last week at Pittsburgh they actually shut the Steelers out in the 2nd H after going into HT behind 17-3. The Jag D hasn't given up more than 16 FD's in any game, but they haven't generated many TO's either with 6 INT's but no fumble recoveries on just 3 attempts.
    Jacksonville offense has been pretty bad averaging just 260 ypg (122 rush/and just 137 pass), and have scored just 6 TD's through 6 games. They have been out-scored pretty handily in the 1st, 3rd and 4th Q's while playing even in the 2nd. Maurice Jones-Drew is averaging a healthy 4.8 ypc.

Jacksonville will be hard-pressed to score much more than 13 pts on this Baltimore defense, and Baltimore needs the win to stay on top of Pittsburgh who they play again in 3 weeks. We won't see a rout like we saw last night with IND at NO. The Ravens will likely score between 23-27 or so, unless things really fall apart for the Jags, so we could very easily see a 23-13 game, give or take 3 pts either way. You would think the Ravens should win by at least a TD though so a 7 pt teaser taking Baltimore -3.5 and either OV 31.5 or UN 45.5 seems like the safer route. If Jones-Drew can generate some offense and the Jags don't turn the ball over too many times this won't turn into a rout. I hate taking the UN though and watching easy TO scores though so I'll probably play BAL -3.5/OV 31.5. The Jags should score at least 10 and Baltimore should score more than 21.
    Anybody else have thoughts on this game?
    Last edited by dragon1952; 10-24-2011, 06:31 PM.

Just to let you know, I never read anyone else's write-up on a game before I do my own. I'll compare afterward. I just read the Bettorsworld write-up and it is pretty similar, but believe me I don't read anyone else's first Very often I am opposite of Bettorsworld, and half the time I don't even remember to read it. But anyone who does a write-up has exactly the same facts available to them which is why any write-up will likely mention the same facts.

Comment

A guy I sometimes purchase plays from just came out with a play for tonight's game. I was curious so I bought (just $10...what the hell).
      Crap!....it was on BAL 1st Q. I had already noticed that stat and played a 1/2 unit on it so waste of $10, but maybe I will double-down on it now

His pick was at BAL -1/2 pt (seems like his lines are ALWAYS shaded) but as he states he'd play it higher. Here's the write-up.

Note on line: Even if you have -1.5 at your book, I would still make this wager. Minimal difference in a 1st Q line from 1/2 to 1.5. At -3 the advantage is less strong, however, you are only likely to push vs. a win rather than lose vs. a win, so I would still make the play on a -3 line.

The Ravens currently are the #1 team in the league this season in 1st quarter score differential. The Ravens score 12 points and allow 1 point on avg in the 1st Q. Meanwhile, the Jags score 3 points and allow 5 points, ranking them 25th in the league. This differential (24 places) is the 2nd largest of the weekend.

In getting off to a fast start, you need a few things in your favor:

#1 Field Position
      #2 3rd Down Conversions
      #3 Likelihood of 3 and outs
      #4 Points/Drive
      #5 Turnovers

#1 Field Position - Baltimore averages the 3rd best avg line of scrimmage (LOS) in the league. The Ravens convert that field position into the 13th most points/drive in the league, despite facing some solid defenses this year so far (Pit, Ten, NYJ, Hou). Meanwhile, Jacksonville averages the 15th best avg LOS in the league, but only converts it into the 2nd fewest points/drive in the league. Now, they have faced their share of solid defenses (NYJ, Pit, Cin, Ten) as well, but that is still a poor ranking. On the flip side, Baltimore holds opponents to the 10th worst starting field position, but Jacksonville gives opponents the 3rd best avg starting field position. Strong advantage to Baltimore.

#2 3rd Down Conversions - Baltimore's defense is the 7th rated defense in opponent 3rd down conversions, and is even stronger this year than last year, and is trending upwards, being 3rd best in the last 3 games. Jacksonville's defense is 19th, but is trending downwards, as they are the 6th worst in their last 3 games. Offensively, neither team has been overly impressive, given the tough defenses they have both faced this year. Baltimore is 19th rated and Jacksonville is 25th rated. In this matchup, given the big edge to the Ravens D vs. the Jags D, strong advantage to Baltimore

#3 Likelihood of 3 and outs - While both defenses are strong, in the top 5 in forcing the most punts/drive, the offenses is where this diverges: The Ravens have the 8th fewest punts/drive and the Jags have the 6th most punts/drive.

#4 Points/Drive - Again, both defenses very solid. But the offenses are worlds apart - Jacksonville is dead last in yards/drive, and 2nd worst in points/drive and TDs/drive. The Ravens are 13th best in points/drive. And they have the very strong legged Cundiff, who punched in 5 FGs last weekend.

#5 Turnovers - Offensively, both teams are similar here, approximately middle of the pack. However, defensively the Ravens are #1, forcing the most turnovers/drive in the league. And the Jaguars defense is 28th, in other words, 5th fewest in the league.

Let's focus on the Ravens playing teams with losing records. Since Harbaugh and Flacco came to town in 2008, the Ravens have played 16 teams vs. teams with losing records (w/ at least 2 games played, and not meaningless week 17 games). The Ravens are 16-0 SU, 14-2 ATS and 11-5 to the Over. They played 2 teams who were off a bye, with extra time to prepare for them. Taking those games out, they played 14 games.

In those 14 games, they were an avg 6 point favorite, and won the first quarter a combined score of 97-20, or a per-game avg of 7 to 1 after rounding. In these games, only 3 times did they not win the first quarter. 2 of the times were way back in 2008, when Flacco was a very young rookie (wks 3 and 7). The other game was a week 16 game vs. Cleveland last year. In 8 of the 14 games (57%) Baltimore was on the road.

And lastly, both teams have received the kickoff 3 times this year, so there is an even view of the first quarter stats.

Comment

Thanks for the writeup. Bettorsworld has it's own writeup for these games? I really didn't know that haha. Weird.

I'm playing the tease baltimore -3 over 31.5
        Also looking at over 20 1half. Believe the ravens come out hot and then manage the game the 2nd half.
        24-13 ravens my guess.

Comment

MNF H DD dogs, 2-7 SU, 7-2 ATS L9 (back to '90)

Too many people on this.

Jacksonville +11

Comment

Notice that re: the comment on the Ravens playing teams with losing records..."The Ravens are 16-0 SU, 14-2 ATS and 11-5 to the Over"
            This supports my OV 31.5 teaser so I guess I'll go with that.....BAL -3.5/OV 31.5

Also, remember that as strong as this 1st Q trend is, any bet can lose. I hope I don't cause anyone to lose on this info. Good luck!

Comment

jags 2-4 ATS this season, raves 4-1. There's almost always a stat to counter another stat. Raven's lowest total score is 39pts this season. jags at home 33, 30 and 50pts totals. They've played together 3 times since 2003 and 33 or higher total. Nothing great there but I also thought there was enough overall to go with that tease.

Good luck to us all. As my guess score suggests I think this stays under the up-tease and over the bottom-tease.

Comment

Also like
                longest FG of the game OV 44.5 yds @ -115

Comment

If I was the Ravens I think I'd just punt on every down and hope their defense can score...lol.

Comment

hahaah it would be much more entertaining. This game is horrendous. That over 31.5 is .... ugh. 26pts needed 2nd half.
                    Ravens need to do anything at all.
                    This many punts you'd think there'd be one blocked eventually. Odds are in the favor in this game. haha

Comment

well, terrible game. Lost some on it but still a winning weekend. Didn't wager as much as I was up was the key to that
                      Oh well, hopefully this drags down the baltimore line next week when they're home again playing the cards who are without wells.

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Jags stink it up next weekend after that performance. The Ravens will be back to their normal selves and probably destroy Arizona.

Comment

I took Jacksonville in the Mock Hilton. Only two of us had Jax and a bunch had Baltimore. All day long Monday I questioned my pick of Jacksonville, but it worked out. Ugly game though.

Comment

good job ock on that pick. I stayed away from the game in the mock hilton. Had a pretty decent week there.

Right now baltimore is favored by 13 over az. That is really high. I'll probably go through all the games and make a post again. That was kind of fun as I like to get a dialogue going through the week.

Comment

I had Baltimore in a 5 team ML Parlay, I guess I should of hedged it, but I never thought Jax would get the SU win.
                              Oh well it was the BEST $100 I lost so far this year.

I already placed another on New England-3. NE had an everyweek to prepare and Pitt has Baltimore on deck after NE. I think the steelers will look past NE since they got embarrassed by the Ravens first meeting of the year already.
                              ...but I hope I lose the 2nd best $100 of the year.
                              good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X