Penn State Scandal and Joe Paterno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State Scandal and Joe Paterno

This is going to be a hot topic in the sports world and major media.

Here's the question......should Joe Paterno shoulder part of the blame here? Should Paterno be forced to step down? Did he not do enough?

Many are calling for just that (Paterno to step down) and that may be what ultimately happens. Imagine a legendary career like that ending this way? What a shame.

I haven't thought it through enough yet, and don't know all of the facts, but here's one major problem I have with all of this....

Why didn't these people go DIRECTLY to the police? For example, in the incident that Paterno was involved with, an assistant goes to Joe's house to tell him what he saw, and that was it. I'd like to think I would have gone to the police first and Joe's 2nd.

Paterno passed along what he was told to the University people, but should he have done more?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...al/?xid=cnnbin

Comment

Jeff,

This whole thing makes me sick, Sandusky served over 30 years at PSU as the defensive coach. Now he is charged with over 40 counts of abuse?

A Couple of outside thought's:

# 1 this will kill Joe Paterno (physically)

# 2 The article by SI was really slanted towards the Coach Paterno, calling him morally guilty. Give me a break.

# 3 ...40 counts of abuse and we thought it only happens at catholic churches

# 4 This will no way effect how Penn State plays this weekend

Comment

# 4 This will no way effect how Penn State plays this weekend

Wanna bet?

Comment

Carpet, how could this not affect how penn st plays this weekend? This is the worst thing thats ever happened to that school... they will be devastated.

Comment

Yeah.....I would think it would have an impact......you just don't know which way. The team could rally?

But the assistant that was named as having seen Sandusky assault the boy, is Mike McQueary, a former player and currently an assistant coach on the Penn State staff.....I think he's a wide receiver coach (not that penn state needs one of those)

McQueary is one I have more of a problem with than Paterno. He saw this happen? He's 6'5 and 200+ whatever, you see this happen, and you're only action is to tell your boss, Paterno, the next day??? You let the scumbag Sandusky leave WITH THE KID after what you just saw?????? You don't call every police agency known to man? Cmon.

Paterno is at fault for not doing enough. But he was told 2nd hand. This guy McQueary saw it with his own eyes and that's all he did??

Comment

penn st will be distracted. nebr is the bet (at -3.5). ghoulish? yes, but you play the hand dealt here

Comment

its pretty sad that Paterno might step down because of this...Mcqueary should have been the one that went to the police about it...Like Jeff said paterno got the story 2nd hand and he didnt even know the details of what Mcqueary saw...however he did know enough to go to police too...I dnt get how Mcqueary just walked away and told Paterno the next day...how did he not go and kick the shit out of Sandusky I know i would have...the way mcqueary reacted to the situation is what is costing Paterno his job. if he would have done the right thing and gone to police and not run to paterno then Paterno wouldnt even be in this situation...I know PAterno didnt react the right way by going to university people and not police but i wouldnt go out and say he did the wrong thing either atleast he told some one who got it handled...at the end of the day its pretty sad that he is most likely going to go out due to this...

Comment

It's a shame that a legendary coach will be tarnished by the actions of another. It is just a sad state all around, the innocent victims and everyone else that is getting pulled into the vortex of these incidents.

Comment

Shades new whut was going on b 4 it was reported to him. This guy did not just start molesting kids then, prolly has been doing it all his life.

Comment

Originally posted by xbigpappa View Post
                      Shades new whut was going on b 4 it was reported to him. This guy did not just start molesting kids then, prolly has been doing it all his life.
                      Deciphering your post I would have to say you are right in what you are saying in your own language.

Joe was told of a horrible incident and all he did was report it to administration and let it die in his mind. This crap has been undercover for years and they all knew.

If I was told that my assistant Coach was having sex in the bathroom with a 10 year old boy I as the Head Coach would have kicked his ass.

Comment

No relationship, but the play-by-play guy for the
                        Baltimore Ravens is Jerry Sandusky.
                        Love trivia, but in this case not so much.

Just a very sad situation all the way around.

Comment

I sure am tired of watching this scroll across the sports ticker every 3 minutes :^ /

Comment

The buck stops with the head coach! When administration didn't call police, he should have. Makes me suspect, like someone said above, he knew for longer than this what Sandusky was doing. Pathetic.

Comment

now it is all starting to make sense..........I recall now that sandusky advised back in '98 or '99 that he wanted to recruit the tight ends.

Comment

Working...
                              X