NFL Meaningful Games this last week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Meaningful Games this last week

A Lot of teams have to play to win and some will play hard as spoilers.

And I think there is only one game that might become meaningless after the early games.

See if I got this right.

Atlanta vs Tampa if Detroit beats GB earlier.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh are still battling for the Division AND a bye! Huge. Pitt at Cleveland and Baltimore at Cinci. Cinci needs to win and they are in! Huge! But Baltimore needs to win also. Both games late - to keep things interesting.

Tenny needs to win at Houston and have Cinci and Oakland lose. Very possible. Tenny early so they have to go hard. Will Houston go hard? Don't think so as they can't improve or slide back.

Jets need to win at Miami and have Cinci, Tenny and Oakland or Denver lose. Miami will be playing tough. Jets early so they have to go hard.

Oakland needs to win vs SD and have Denver lose for the Division, or win and have Cinci lose for the Wild Card. Big for them. I think SD will play hard, but you never know with them. Cinci and Denver games are also late so Raiders will be playing hard.

Saints and Niners still tied for the last bye. Saints home against the dangerous Panthers who are playing hard and would love to prove themselves. Niners at home against the woeful Rams. Saints and Niners both play early so they gotta go for it. If they both win, Niners get the bye.

Rams have 2 losses. Same as Indy. Not sure who has tiebreaker. And Minny only has 3 wins. Not sure who has tiebreaker if they all end up with 3 wins. Will Indy tank it at Jax? (I don't think so, but maybe.) Will Rams cover 11 at home against SF? Will Minny minus AP play hard to beat the Bears? (I think so.) All 3 games are early.

Detroit and Atlanta need to win to get Gints or Dallas instead of SF or New Orleans. Atlanta will know if they have a chance by the time their game vs TB kicks off as Detroit plays GB earlier. Will GB play Rodgers and Co. at home vs Detroit? So Detroit and Atlanta are tricky picks. Gotta find out what the Packers are thinking to do.

That leaves Buffalo/NE. NE needs to win or have Baltimore and Pitt lose to have home field throughout. So NE needs to go hard as they have an early game.

Seattle at Arizona meaningless but I think both teams will play hard to win.
    Last edited by widestrides; 12-27-2011, 10:41 PM.

Forgot Denver/KC. Denver needs to win or lose and have Oakland lose. I think KC +3 plays spoiler.

Detroit and Atlanta need to win to get Giants or Dallas instead of SF or New Orleans. Is that something to play for or will they both rest players? Will Tampa roll over no matter what?

Comment

From CSB Sports:

If you're the Detroit Lions, you hope Green Bay doesn't play its starters in the season finale. In fact, you say a prayer the Packers don't.

No Aaron Rodgers would lessen the chances of a Green Bay win, and that's critical to Detroit's playoff future. Even though the Lions are headed to the playoffs, they don't want the sixth seed ... and neither does Atlanta. The reason: You have to go to New Orleans, where the Saints don't lose.

Draw the sixth seed, and say goodnight.

Comment

Here's something from one of my fantasy football sites.
        A Team-by-team Rundown

Arizona Cardinals

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

Atlanta Falcons

In the playoffs - Clinched a wild-card spot

Almost nothing to play for - can only be the 5- or the 6-seed (although playing the Saints or 49ers would be tougher than facing the NFC East winner)...Falcons clinch the 5-seed with a win and a Detroit loss

Baltimore Ravens

Will clinch the AFC North and a first-round bye with one of the following occurring:

A win
        A tie AND a Pittsburgh loss or tie
        A Pittsburgh loss

Will clinch home-field advantage throughout the playoffs with one of the following occurring:

A win AND a New England loss

Buffalo Bills

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

Carolina Panthers

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

Chicago Bears

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

Cincinnati Bengals

On the playoff bubble

Will clinch a wild-card spot with one of the following occurring:

A win or a tie
        A NY Jets loss or tie AND an Oakland loss or tie
        A NY Jets loss or tie AND a Denver loss or tie

Cleveland Browns

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

Dallas Cowboys

On the playoff bubble

Will clinch the NFC East with the following occurring:

A win

Denver Broncos

On the playoff bubble

Will clinch the AFC West with one of the following occurring:

A win
        A tie AND an Oakland loss or tie
        An Oakland loss

Detroit Lions

Almost nothing to play for - can only be the 5- or the 6-seed (although playing the Saints or 49ers would be tougher than facing the NFC East winner)...Lions clinch the 5-seed with a win or an Atlanta loss

Green Bay Packers

In the playoff - Clinched the NFC North and home-field throughout the playoffs

Nothing to play for

Houston Texans

In the playoffs - Clinched the AFC South

Nothing to play for

Indianapolis Colts

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for (other than Andrew Luck):

If Indianapolis loses, they get the first pick in the 2012 NFL Draft
        If the Colts win and St. Louis wins, Indianapolis gets the first pick in the 2012 NFL Draft

Jacksonville Jaguars

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

Kansas City Chiefs

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

Miami Dolphins

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

Minnesota Vikings

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

New England Patriots

In the playoffs - Clinched the AFC East and a first-round bye

Will clinch home-field throughout the playoffs with one of the following occurring:

A win or tie
        A Baltimore loss or tie AND a Pittsburgh loss or tie.

New Orleans Saints

In the playoffs - Clinched the NFC South

Will clinch a first-round bye with one of the following occurring:

A win AND a San Francisco loss or tie
        A tie AND a San Francisco loss

New York Giants

On the playoff bubble

Will clinch the NFC East with the following occurring:

A win OR a tie

New York Jets

On the playoff bubble

A win AND a Cincinnati loss AND a Tennessee loss or tie AND an Oakland loss or tie
        A win AND a Cincinnati loss AND a Tennessee loss or tie AND a Denver loss or tie

Oakland Raiders

On the playoff bubble

Will clinch the AFC West with one of the following occurring:

A win AND a Denver loss or tie
        A tie AND a Denver loss

A win AND a Denver win AND a Cincinnati loss AND a Tennessee loss or tie
        A win AND a Denver win AND a Cincinnati loss AND a NY Jets win

Philadelphia Eagles

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

Pittsburgh Steelers

Will clinch the AFC North and a first-round bye with one of the following occurring:

A win AND a Baltimore loss or tie
        A tie AND a Baltimore loss

Will clinch home-field advantage through the playoffs with the following occurring:

A win AND a Baltimore loss or tie AND a New England loss

San Diego Chargers

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

San Francisco 49ers

In the playoffs - Clinched the NFC West

Will clinch a first-round bye with one of the following occurring:

A win
        A tie AND a New Orleans loss or tie
        A New Orleans loss

Seattle Seahawks

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

St. Louis Rams

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for (other than Andrew Luck):

If St. Louis wins and Indianapolis loses, the Rams get the first pick in the 2012 NFL Draft

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for

Tennessee Titans

On the playoff bubble

A win AND a Cincinnati loss AND a NY Jets win AND an Oakland loss or tie
        A win AND a Cincinnati loss AND a NY Jets win AND a Denver loss or tie
        A win AND a Cincinnati loss AND a NY Jets loss or tie AND an Oakland win AND a Denver win

Washington Redskins

Out of the playoffs

Nothing to play for
        The Games That Matter In Week 17

Buffalo at New England - 1:00 PM Eastern
        San Francisco at St. Louis - 1:00 PM Eastern
        NY Jets at Miami - 1:00 PM Eastern
        Carolina at New Orleans - 1:00 PM Eastern (won't matter if the Saints win tonight)
        Tennessee at Houston - 1:00 PM Eastern
        Pittsburgh at Cleveland - 4:15 PM Eastern
        Baltimore at Cincinnati - 4:15 PM Eastern
        Tampa Bay at Atlanta - 4:15 PM Eastern (won't matter if the Saints win tonight)
        San Diego at Oakland - 4:15 PM Eastern
        Kansas City at Denver - 4:15 PM Eastern
        Dallas at NY Giants - 8:20 PM Eastern

Comment

Do you think the Bears show up to play this week?

I dont

Comment

No....I like Minny in that one. I think they have way more motivation.

Comment

Even if Detroit beats GB earlier, Atlanta doesn't figure to move out of the #6 seed, even if NO would lose to Carolina. Atlanta wants to at least play well here to end the season on a positive note. Tampa has folded, HC Morris is sure to be fired Monday latest and the Buc players figure to have their bags packed and tee times on their minds more than this game's outcome. Falcons have to think ahead a bit because they are headed back to NO for the playoffs.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh both need a win; Baltimore has the tougher task playing a decent must-win team on the road. I think Pittsburgh figures to trot out Ben for about 25 snaps - maybe until halftime and after that, it depends on Baltimore's score at Cinci. I think both teams (Pitts/Balt) win and cover.

Tenn @ Houston: Texans want a win going into the playoffs. DC Phillips is back (surgery) as is Andre Johnson (hamstring) - at least for a few snaps - they say 15-20. Texans Defense is the key here and DC Phillips will try and get them in playoff mode. Once this game starts, I expect Houston to play to win. Being a dog at home has to be noted in the locker room here men. As far as a record/standings, they don't need a win; however, as far as having some confidence going into the playoffs, they certainly do.

Jets blow and the coach has a big mouth. Typically I like a HC who tells it like it is. That ads color and personality to the otherwise boring NFL coaching ranks. However, at this point, it just bluster and the Jets clearly can't walk the talk. Miami has had a very good run and only Brady at home could have beat them last week. Last NFL game for DE Jason Taylor. Expect a big effort from Miami.

There are always upsets from teams not going anywhere vs teams that MUST WIN, and both SD/OAK & KC/DENV are the ones that stand out. Chargers HC Turner sure to hit the ranks of the unemployed Monday, while KC's Romeo Crennel is trying to remover the "interim" from his title on the road against Tim Tebow. Yeah - SD is a mystery, but I'll take KC getting points. 3 is nice, but 3½ is much nicer. Low scoring game and a SU KC win would not surprise me.

If you made me wager on SD/OAK, I'd have to take the Raiders because IMHO, Turner has made enough bone-headed moves through the years to be despised by his own players.

Saints say they are gonna play, but history suggests otherwise. In 2009, HC Payton rested his starters and won a Super Bowl. In 2010, he played them, suffered injuries and lost at Seattle.

The caveat here is the NFL yardage record of the 2000 Rams (within reach) as well as the new NFL passing yardage record. Tom Brady trails Brees by less than 200 yards and HC Payton likes to help Drew reach milestones (throwing against Atlanta last week after the game was decided).

Brady trails Brees by 190 yards and the Rams 2000 record is only 219 away for the Saints. What to do, what to do . . . . OK - so I say they play starters, try and win and get all the records. Once they hit 400 yards +/-, they can start yanking starters and against the Carolina D, this might be at halftime or worst case - mid third quarter. Hard to wager on this one, but fun to watch.

The Niners will get the the last bye with a win against the Rams, who - again - may be in the market for a HC come Monday afternoon. At this point a 10 point tease with SF -½ or 1, looks pretty tempting. Will SF rest anyone once they are ahead? Probably. I know I would.

Rams, Minnesota, and Indy all are in the running for the #1 pick - expected to be Stanford QB Luck. On its face, Indy losing is a sure thing, BUT will JV beat the Colts knowing they will spend the next 10-15 years facing a QB who is expected to be a franchise NFL quarterback? Since they share the division, they have to give this some serious thought. Colts are 3½ or 4 point dog here. What to do, what to do . . . . maybe bet under as I don't see either team putting up a lot of points. JV DBs are 2 guys signed off the street IIRC, so can Orlavsky pass the Colts to a victory? I truly have no idea. I do know this: for as much noise the Colts are making about not tanking a game to get the #1 pick, I think they are full of shit. If you were the Colts, Manning nearing the end, or maybe already at the end, what would you do? I'd lose, no if, and or buts.

Chi/Minn: Vikes QB Webb is decent, as is the Bears McNown, but no AP; however, maybe no one noticed the fantastic production of RB Toby Gerhart last week and the fact that TE Jim Kleinsasser is playing his last game. Chicago may be looking at (yes, I have to say it again) a new HC come Monday and I think the same can be said for the Vikings. In any case, I like the Vikes here. They have a more complete offense and can at least rush the passer, though the secondary is weak.

Detroit is now -5 over Green Bay, who plans to rest their starters. I see a Lions win here, but then again - if the opposition doesn't field their starters, how much incentive do the Lions have to play theirs? Now the question becomes the same one we face every week: "By how many?"

Buffalo/NE. NE needs to win (Baltimore and Pitt both lose) to have home field throughout and a bye. NE needs to win, but now we have the curious case of Tom Brady's left shoulder as well as a crappy defense that has been bad all year. Will NE run at Buffalo to keep Brady out of a potentially injurious sack? We know the Bills can score and they won the last contest with the Pats. neither team has a decent D and the total is 49½ - 50. What do the Bills have to lose? Nothing - and that alone makes them dangerous.

Good Luck to everyone today.
              As Always - Good Luck,

Sonny

Comment

Originally posted by widestrides View Post
                Forgot Denver/KC. Denver needs to win or lose and have Oakland lose. I think KC +3 plays spoiler.

Detroit and Atlanta need to win to get Giants or Dallas instead of SF or New Orleans. Is that something to play for or will they both rest players? Will Tampa roll over no matter what?
                If GB wins and ATL wins, ATL faces the winner of the NYG/Dalllas game. GB has already stated they will rest their starters. Looks like ATL is headed back to NO for a playoff game IMHO.

I think both Oak and Denver lose, KC being the stronger play to upset Denver at home. Denver makes the playoffs based on the Oakland loss.
                As Always - Good Luck,

Sonny

Comment

good call on those afc west games stardust

Comment

Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then, Matt Flynn???!@!! OMG, I can hardly believe he hurt me like that!

Brees for MVP and Flynn will be a much sought after QB in a QB thirsty NFL.
                    As Always - Good Luck,

Sonny

Comment

Working...
                    X