Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RestEasy Superbowl Pick

Now that the GOW picks are in I can finally post this

I'm a Giants fan. Have been since I was a child. So, people won't be surprised in me picking the Giants +3.

However, as a Giants fan I do believe at times I can be more skeptical and critical of my team when I am uncertain of their ability. I tend to shy away from betting them in most cases and will go with either other games or a total.

But again, I'm betting the Giants +3.
    Why? Homerism? My money has no loyalty but to my pocket. Blinded by favoritism? I try to be objective else I'll move to the total or elsewhere.

The Giants seem like favorites here and in the books though not being favored. Too small a sample size for this site.
    Pickem at espn had 55% on the pats SU. Thespread has only 57% on giants +3. Big money is still coming in. Popularity means nothing.

Offensively the Giants have more explosive ability with better wide receivers than the pats. The Patriots posses the best tight end in the league this year and though hobbled would be a mistake to believe he's not a huge factor.
    The trick is the defense of the Giants is much more in balance against the offense of the Pats whereas the scale is tilted much into the Giant's favor with the porous pass D of the patriots.

'But Bellichik will have 2 weeks to fix that.' He had all season to fix it. He had two weeks and then lost to the steelers. Coughlin has 2 weeks to improve his D which already this season proved to be too much for the pats holding Tom Brady to zero points the 1st half. Those 2 weeks may make it more of a struggle but the team won't turn it around enough.

The giants played the hardest defense in the league. What happened? 316yds, 2TD's 0 ints. Brady played a tough defense and what happened? 239yds 0tds 2 ints.

The Patriots offense is so good though. Right? Yes, they are good but the week before the giants faced a team that was as good and arguably better. What happened? They stifled that offense to a shadow of what it was. Both wins in the backyards of those teams and even the win against the pats regular season was in new england.

The Giants look to be playing great football and the pats are getting by. The Patriot's defense did gain some momentum last week with a great strip in the endzone of Lee Evans and Wilfork having his best game of the season. But that is not the norm whereas the Giants stripping the ball from Williams and then recovering sounds like something their defense is continually capable of.

Minimize turnovers. Brady doesn't throw as many picks as Eli. In fact, the patriot's silver lining on D is that they have 3 more INT's on the season than do the Giant's D.
    Pressure. Get in Brady's face and he becomes human. Bump the receivers to throw them off timing and Brady has no where to go with the ball.
    Play to strengths. Bradshaw and Nicks did Not play the regular season game. The run game is different with Bradshaw and the offense much more dynamic with both.

IF the Giants play the way they have the last couple weeks and do not let the hype go to their heads then I do not see how the Patriots can stop them.

Giants +3
    Giants ML
    total... so tough was leaning under but ended up with over 53.5
    teaser giants +10 over 46.5

Good luck to you in your choices. Have a safe and enjoyable Super Bowl.

I listed a some good props in Taxman's thread.
    Last edited by resteasy; 02-05-2012, 11:46 AM.

Love that teaser also!

Agree with your analysis.

My only worry is the Pats hurry-up fatiguing the Giants D. And we fully expect Brady to get rid of the ball fast. Will the dink and dunk work?

I also worry that the refs swallow their whistles as they are prone to do in the playoffs and allow the Pats OL and DBs to justhold like crazy. Bellichick did this to Peyton and the Colts. He knows the refs can't keep calling it so he tells his undermanned players to just keep doing it. As subtle as possible, but keep doing it.

Eli to his receivers and some time consuming drives should do it for the Giants.

Welker is scary.

Comment

GO GIANTS RODE THAT TRAIN HARD, NICE CALL

Comment

Soooooooooo happy. Thanks man

Comment

That was like pulling teeth!

Giants made that harder than it should have been. I gotta believe we could have just thrown more and won easily.

Cudos to Belichick for bending, but not breaking.

And why wasn't Bradshaw told to go down?!

Oh well. Eli has some damn good karma!

Comment

Brady can not beat Eli!
            Game was do close. Almost lost my voice. Amazing game.
            Enjoy it widestrides I know I will

Comment

Congrats Giants fans but if Welker doesn't drop a pass he catches 99% of the time it's a different outcome. One of many drops by the Pats in the 4th Q but by far the key play that let the Giants off the hook.
              Last edited by dragon1952; 02-05-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

true. But that's football.
                if cundiff doesn't miss a FG he makes 99% of the time pats don't go to the big game.
                It's a game of ifs which makes it hard to cap.
                Truth is, pats stepped up the D like they had shown to be doing as the playoffs went along and the giants remained consistent of making plays when no one thinks they'll make one.

but if but if but if doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I think that drop by Welker was more on Brady. Bad pass. Totally turned Welker around and overthrown so that he had to lay out fully. Sure Welker should have made the tough catch, but now look at Eli's unbelievably accurate throw to Mannigham. Game.

Comment

Cris Carter said that in the last two Super Bowls, Brady's completion stats on balls in the air over 20 yards is 0-13! Could that be right?

Comment

Rodney Harrison predicted that in the 4th quarter with the game on the line, Eli would make the clutch plays and Brady wouldn't. Brady in the 4th quarter was 6-15 with an INT. Eli 10-14 for 150 yards and the game winning drive. Eli is the better QB at this stage in their respective careers.

Comment

Okay, maybe now I can hit the rack and fall asleep!

Giants did not play that well. They started off like a house of fire and then didn't finish drives to get a bigger lead on the Pats and needed another Eli miracle to pull it out.

Comment

Giants played well, pats D stepped up. But giants D got more pressure than it looked. Brady rushed a couple throws on nerves or pressure but in the end Giants won.
                          You can 'if this' or 'but that' until big blue in the face but it doesn't matter. End result is end result and the good night sleep is well warranted.

Comment

Working...
                          X