Michigan at Illinois Thursday March 1st at 6pm cst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan at Illinois Thursday March 1st at 6pm cst

Illinois faces Michigan in a must win game for the Illini.

Illinois is coming off a win over Iowa snapping a six game skid and looked like the team that beat, Gonzaga, Ohio State, Michigan State this year.

Standing at 17-12 Illinois must beat Michigan and Wisconsin to keep the ever so slim bubble alive and if they play with the same energy and passion that they displayed vs Iowa they will win both games.

Michigan just got blown out 75-61 at home vs Purdue and I expect them to be on pissed off group. Sporting a 21-8 record the wolverines can play some ball. They are basically a 4 guard type team on offense, small inside but very quick defensively.

The last time these two teams met was on Feb 12th and Michigan handed Illinois a 70-61 loss at Michigan. In that game Illinois Big Man Leonard was plagued with foul trouble early, and Michigan had 10 steals in that game.

Illinois has not lost to Michigan at home since 1995.

The way Myers Leonard the 7-1 gazelle is playing, I can not see how Michigan will stop him inside from scoring.

It's early and I will be on the ground floor (Carpets level) looking at this game inside and out.

This game has major implications for the entire Illinois basketball program, Coach Weber is playing for his coaching life with a young team that maybe just maybe hit the light switch ON at the last possible moment.

UM just lost at home to Purdue, so their confidence is a little dinged. Moreover, they're now a full two games behind arch-rival Michigan State in the loss column, meaning a B1G crown is probably out of the question, although they could back into a share of the regular-season title if they win their games on the road at Illinois and PSU, while MSU loses both of their'n. (Beileinspeak). Illinois should have all the motivation in the world, as another Top 25 win would look good on the resume, and they'll wanna (Beileinspeak) protect homecourt.

The Wolverines are 3-4 on the road in the B1G with wins over Northwestern (67-55; OT), Nebraska (62-46) and Purdue (66-64). Their road losses have come to Iowa (59-75), OSU (49-64), MSU (54-64) and Indiana (71-73). UM has also lost on the road to Arkansas (64-66) and Virginia (58-70) and beat Oakland (90-80).

Michigan will play man-to-man defense and throw in Beilein's 2-3 and 1-3-1 trapping zones. Illinois is lucky in that they've seen somewhat similar defenses a number of times now, against PSU, two times against Northwestern and the first UM game. The Orange and Blue will need to be able to make that second pass from the player who's about to be trapped on the sideline.
    That's the pass that will lead to points. In their man-to-man, you can bet that Beilein will have them doubling Meyers. To put together a winning streak, the Illini must rely on defense and must self-identify as defenders. Extraordinary defenders.

Comment

Looking for something to give the Illini an edge for this game, this just might be it.

Meyers Leonard 7-1 center has a brother who is serving in the Marines, also deployed 2 times to IRAQ has never seen his brother play-He is flying in for the game tomorrow and Leonard is really excited to show off his game.

In addition Leonard's mother who has health problems beyond belief has also never seem her son play at assembly hall, she will also be in attendance for the game.

This being the final home game of the season and maybe his career this is going to be a very special night for this young man, We expect him to play like a mad man.

Comment

The early line opens ILL -1

It's Senior night for the Illini, do or die time

Give that spread all day long

Illinois is going to win this game

Comment

I am taking Michigan no doubt...Illinois has had do or die games all year and they always lose. Its not going to be any different tonight.

Comment

On 2nd thought and after further review, I may play these fools one more time! Not b/c they are good, but bc 80% of the public is on Michigan and the line is moving in Illinois favor....

Maybe they will suit up the Marine brother for some added toughness!!

Comment

ILLINOIS ML and -2

Good Luck on that Illini bet woodee glad you came aboard.

Meyers brother the Marine showed up to practice today at 2pm to greet him it was a very emotional thing for the big kid.

One or two things can happen tonight, the big guy go crazy and plays lights out with all this emotion or he goes out and plays the worst game of his career cause he is a young soft kid.

Illinois strength is down low and I am betting that this kid dominates tonight.

Good Luck all

Comment

4 minutes left to save the season...down 7.
                I see another pile of cash going down the shitter. Yuck.
                Oh well.

Comment

Bad!

Comment

Well, Myers Leonard did his part. 18 points and 10 boards.

I hope the kid comes out of all his troubles and Illinois meltdown okay. Sounds like a good kid who has had a rough go of it and now even his experience at Illinois is ending badly. He's not really ready for the pros, but feels the need to go for his family.

GL Myers!

Comment

Are you guys from Illinois or alumni, or what?

I can't believe you keep coming back to the well pulling for Illinois. They can't cover a spread. I know, you want to believe.

GL

Comment

I am not, but I seem to always get convinced too go with them. My first thought yetserday was go against, and then I changed my mind and it ruined my day playing them as all the profit I made on my other plays got burned up again by the Orange.

They are on the NIT bubble now and better not even been in discussing for the NCAAs

Comment

Woodee and all,

I apologize for this pick. I spent hours looking at this game and my worst fear came true, being wrong.

Make no mistake at least I had the balls to get out there with in depth research and post what I thought was a solid pick.

Coach Weber continues to give me brain cramps in capping Illinois this season.

Today SIU (Southern Illinois U) webers old school just fired the head coach and they want weber back.

This whole new regime at the Athletic Directors position has thrown this program into a tizzy, he shows no confidence for the coaches and it has caused some problems no doubt with both the football and basketball teams.

I guess I minimized the impact it would have.

More to follow

Next up Wisconsin on Sunday last game of the year for Illinois, don't even bother to ask me what I think.........

Comment

Working...
                          X