ILLINOIS Basketball coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILLINOIS Basketball coaching search

Illinois is full swing in the search for a new head basketball coach, armed with a brinks truck full of cash they are on a mission to land a top flight talent.

We all know Shaka Smart VCU is Illinois number one target and the deal Illinois will offer him will be very hard to turn down, that is of course if he is the only person in the world that could care less about money and moving up.

VCU is not in any position to match Illinois offer pay wise, so it will all come down to loyalty to his team, Ever since Bill Self bailed Illinois for Kansas I do not buy into the loyalty argument.

Also on the radar is Buzz Williams of Marquette, I would say that out of the two that Williams would be the first to turn down Illinois. His salary is very close to what Illinois would offer and he is due for a nice pay raise with recent success.

I have been monitoring the flight tracker for Illinois official plane and it has been very active including a return flight from Richmond to Illinois today.

When you start to see the airport in Champaign with a ton of traffic you will know Illinois has landed their man.

I will try to keep you updated on any new information I may get on this very important coaching search for Illinois.

Illinois message boards have crashed 3 times, word is Smart is not coming, a new target Anthony grant is in the sights

Situation remains fluid at present time

Comment

Illinois offers shaka 2.2mm over 5 years, Shaka counters at 2.5 at 7 years.

7 years is one hell of a long time for a contract with a unknown in the big 10, just seems to me that 7 years is the deal breaker.

Will Mike Thomas up the ante? On to Anthony Grant

Comment

I hope Smart doesn't go to U of I. His success is the result of Grant's recruits. Sort of like the Bill Self/Bruce Weber issue. Weber's championship game was a result of Self's recruits.

Comment

Smart turns down Illinois just minutes ago, time for Illinois to land a coach that is not afraid to recruit Chicago

Comment

Tax Man I agree that smart was not the right choice and he knew it him self, when reports went out smart was worried about recruiting in Chicago I knew this was over.

Smart called Coach Weber and asked about the new AD Mike Thomas and I am sure that phone call went something like this.......Mike Thomas is new here at Illinois and by all accounts he is a dick, his communication style with his coaches is just a matter of fact, no support as a leader and one not to be trusted.

Thomas the new AD at Illinois hails from Cinnci ( a make be live powerhouse) is way over his head in this coaching search he has burned many bridges and not many trust him. This will be a telling factor as the search continues.

Comment

It seems clear to me that when Tom Izzo went out on point to defend Coach Weber he placed Mike Thomas as suspect as one he didn't think was doing the right leadership move throughout the process.

This has caused a tsunami wave in the available coaching world. Can they place trust and confidence in the new AD knowing his reputation perceived as it may be?

The whole thing just reeks of a new AD trying to fly a bigger plane then he is cape able of at the present time

Comment

Brad Stevens to Illinois, solid sources done deal.....

Comment

Well hang on to your hat, nothing solid yet but there is talks in progress, man this coaching change is killing me....

Comment

I feel like none of the big names want to go there--Must be the AD you mentioned before, otherwise I feel Stevens would have jumped at it. I think Shaka is more of a Big East type of coach.

I hear that the Ohio U guy, Groce, will be announced today from my local news.

Comment

Yes today a news conf is slated for 1pm to announce John Groce as the new HC

Comment

Illinois names Ohio Bobcat coach John Groce as the new coach for Illinois.

1.4mm a year over 5 years, a substanital pay raise for Groce who was making 300k a year at Ohio, not a bad day for him and his family.

Am I excited that this is the second MAC Coach Illinois has signed Football Beckman, BBall Groce, I am with the Beckman hire he will do great things for this football team.

This is one interesting hire for the Illini. Only time will tell if it was the right move.

On the surface Groce seems to have his act together, A Strong Leader, Teacher Mentality, and a strong love of the game with his players.

The up tempo style of play he likes will fit very nicely into the current team we have. I have asked all year long just why won't Weber let these kids run, they are a very well conditioned, athletic team and could run most teams off the floor at a high pace.

Groce said he will have to see how the players FIT or adjust to his style of play, made reference that he might have to adjust to the players style of play. I do not think he will have a problem with this current team in a up tempo style of play.

It would be my guess that when the first practice is held and Groce gets to see the talent he has to work with you will have to pry the smile off his face with a crow bar

Comment

Working...
                        X