Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Pro Football Game of the Week (any comments or suggestions for this contest)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I previously stated, whatever is easiest for Tax to maintain the scorekeeping, he should continue to run with. Once again, my only point was that the contest is based on points attained by a win or a tie with the exception of a needed tiebreaker at the end of the season. Losses are simply zero. One need not have graduated from MIT to comprehend this.

Tax, just keep the rules the same. I totally understand your above statement - “Then you might have other knuckleheads say that winning percentage should be put into play, which would open up another can of worms”

laxsfo99

Comment

I wonder if we should have a rule whereby if a line moves 3 points or more due to a major event, injury or suspensions, you can pull the game or adjust the line? Of course, any one who picked it BEFORE the big line move could keep it, but everyone who jumps on after the news would have to pick a different game.

Just a thought.

Some may not think it's a big deal, but it is when we are only picking one game a week. No reason to allow an easy cherry picking win due to a big line move.

Comment

Originally posted by widestrides View Post
        I wonder if we should have a rule whereby if a line moves 3 points or more due to a major event, injury or suspensions, you can pull the game or adjust the line? Of course, any one who picked it BEFORE the big line move could keep it, but everyone who jumps on after the news would have to pick a different game.

Just a thought.

Some may not think it's a big deal, but it is when we are only picking one game a week. No reason to allow an easy cherry picking win due to a big line move.

Wide, do you know how many times that happened last year? Just wondering.

Because the issue I have is that when a game is 'OFF' when I am posting lines, I will post it later in the thread and I'd say over 75% of the time, if not more, no one reads the entire thread to check that the game is back on. In my opinion, it would create more issues than it is worth. If someone wants to cherry pick, there still is no guarantee that the game will go that way.

If you wanted to do the spread, I guess we would also have to address the over as the lines would go down when it is know that the game will be played in a rain, snow, or wind storm.

I just don't know how to address this very good question? It would be too complicated.

Comment

I personally think this has been blown out of proportion due to the LSU/NC game a couple of years back. Like Tax says this is few and far between. So what if one out of five hundred games someone gets a freebee. I think for the most part the guys who can pick will be there in the end. I unfortunately won't be one of them in the NFL because I stink at it. I think out of all the years I have been aboard the winner deserved it 99.9% of the time. So like I stated a long time ago " as long as we all play by the same rules and have the same opportunities together then everything should work out". I for one think that Taxman run a tight ship and is gold in my book.. That being said Tax, can you slide me a win or two..lol. No you just do what you have been doing. I never have heard anyone on this site repeatedly complain about you. I also would like to acknowledge your dominance on the all time cappers list.. NICE JOB!! I AM A FAN!!

Comment

in

Comment

Sounds good to me.

Sign me up

Thanks

Comment

im in for sure. Whatever works best for moderator on the rules. No problem last year with the ones we had

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
                  Wide, do you know how many times that happened last year? Just wondering.

Because the issue I have is that when a game is 'OFF' when I am posting lines, I will post it later in the thread and I'd say over 75% of the time, if not more, no one reads the entire thread to check that the game is back on. In my opinion, it would create more issues than it is worth. If someone wants to cherry pick, there still is no guarantee that the game will go that way.

If you wanted to do the spread, I guess we would also have to address the over as the lines would go down when it is know that the game will be played in a rain, snow, or wind storm.

I just don't know how to address this very good question? It would be too complicated.
                  Yeah, probably too complicated. You would have to have access to edit your first post with the lines and remove the "bad" line so no one else could cherry-pick it.

A bigger than 3 point move seems to happen once a year in College Football (10 point move in the NC suspension announcement) and with only 12 games, getting one free winner can make a big difference. I don't think it has happened that often in the NFL. Once the NC line moved, 80-90% of the remaining players picked NC's opponent - and won easily. No big deal. Let's just hope it doesn't happen. Just wouldn't hurt to at least give yourself the option to pull a game if you felt it would skew the entire contest for that week.

Comment

I'm in.

As for suggestions, it'd be nice if you could try and keep the lines off whole numbers. Often a line will be like -3 -120 and you'll post -3 rather than -3.5. Lines on 3 and 7 rarely don't lean one way or the other. For a single game of the week, I prefer to play win or lose personally and often throw away good games just to avoid the possibility of a tie.

As for line movements, I don't think there's a great solution on that so probably leave well enough alone.

As for missed pick is a loss, ABSOLUTELY. If people could skip weeks, that would be a huge advantage as the odds of approaching 50% increase as the number of picks increases.

Comment

Here is one final suggestion regarding automatic losses for missed picks.

Since we determine our champion based upon most wins, we could add language that would specifically state the records will be based upon the total of most wins and win percentages ARE NOT INCLUDED.

For example some one selects all 17 regular season weeks and goes 13-4. However, another capper skips or forgets 2 weeks and has a record of 13-2. They both have the same amount of wins and would have had the same amount of losses if no picks were counted as losses.

Well, started liking this as I began, but as I let it sit awhile, I am starting to not like it. IMO, too confusing.

Thoughts/comments?
                      Last edited by Taxman; 08-27-2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

in

Comment

Re: N.F.L. CONTEST.

COUNT ME IN.

Comment

In please.
                            "Moderation is the key to life"

Comment

In, Thanks

Comment

LAST CALL FOR INPUT OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE!

I'll post final rules, which will be the same.

Lines will be posted by Monday night for Week 1's games!

Comment

Working...
                                X