No announcement yet.

THE REAL HILTON SUPERCONTEST ENTRY ~ Commitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since 4 people vote on each pick I would think you'd have to have 3 negatives, otherwise it would be at worst 3 in favor -2 opposed.
    Edit to add: I'll go along with the majority but not sure I like the vote method. Seems like it could undermine any individual strengths we each might have, e.g. regional or team-specific expertise and/or introduce potential unwarranted bias or preconceived notions? Someone might make a pick strictly on gut feeling so any specific reasoning that would convince others might not exist? I don't know....just thinking out loud (see "blabbering")
    Last edited by dragon1952; 08-15-2012, 11:54 PM.

Comment

I still do like the submit top 3. If all number 1 picks are different we take them. If not we add up the stars.
      From here we can debate. If one pick is determined unusable we'll have the next highest rated pick.

This has the virtue of top picks and allows for like picks or opposing picks to be dealt with since that is bound to happen.

(it could be top 3, 4 or 5 picks but I think 3 would be the minimum in this system)

Comment

yea i think at most we should do top 3 picks...i like the if all number 1s are different those are our picks..the thing i hate about adding up the stars is what happens if none of my top picks get chosen but then they all win id be a lil ticked off...idk i wouldnt want to feel like none of my picks are being utilized...

Comment

Good Luck Guys! Go Get'em!! Looks like a good group you got there.

I was on a Bettorsworld team a few years ago that Jeff sponsored and I think the hardest part with a group is deciding your picks. I hated being the on who submitted the losing pick for the week and bringing the group down.

Comment

Good luck guys!

I can offer this experience.

We had a Team entry in the Carib Contest last year, and all Team members also had individual entries.

We just took the Consensus picks of all members. No star system. No ranking system.

Consensus is your best strength and greatest advantage in this contest vs the other individuals in the contest. So use it.

5 individual picks, even if they are your "top" picks will not do as well as your consensus picks. Even if only one or even none of your picks makes it in, that's your Team entry. Root for it. Some other weeks, you may have 3, 4 or 5 of your picks make it. And even if your picks would have done better that particular week, over the long run, with this strong Team you have, the Consensus picks should do better than all or at least 4 or 3 of the Individuals' picks. Roll with it.

Our Consensus picks finished ahead of all of the individuals and finished in the money in the Contest. One member of our Team also finished in the money.

So, everyone pick 5 without discussion with the others and throw them altogether and see which ones form a Consensus. Those are going to give you the best chance of winning. You might have to have some fun discussion in picking the last one as there could be a tie for the last spot.

GL!

P.S. You could have a ranking system, and that might strengthen your picks, depending on what your experience is with betting varying units on games. Some do better just straight betting and others feel the only way to beat the % is to vary your units and play more on the ones you feel more strongly about.
            Last edited by widestrides; 08-16-2012, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. resteasy is 33.5-8.5 in the pick of the week contest the past 2 years and 50-34 in the Mock Hilton last year. I say we take his top pick and then the other 4 consensus picks

Comment

Another suggestion: 3 Picks (Wednesday)
                5*
                3*
                1*

Total the stars. If one capper picks the Giants 5*, but another picks the Cowboys 1*(NYG vs DAL), then this pick is now
                only worth 4* (5 minus 1).

Top total stars are what we go with. If any ties, we take a vote (Thursday).

Bonus Stars: Go 3-0, get a bonus star added to each pick the following week
                Go 0-3, (Penalty box) get to pick only one game at 3* the following week. Must win to get out of box.

We need to ride the hot hand as much as possible.

With Resteasy incredible record...I vote his top pick worth 6 points each week.

Comment

Yeah, with your good records in the NFL Game of the Week contest, a case could also be made for each of you picking just one.

I should butt out as it's your $ on the line. Just wanted to share my Team experience.

GL

Comment

Dragon, shoot me an email.

Thanks!

Comment

I sent you one a few days ago from my Yahoo account with Bettorsworld in the subject line....maybe went in your spam folder?

Comment

your confidence in me is quite humbling.
                        Do keep in mind the pick of the week is sides and totals whereas the hilton is only sides.

Comment

If we just select one game a week, we need to develop protocol on what to do if we have the same pick or opposite picks.
                          Who gets the extra pick if we pick the same game? Who gets there game bumped when we select opposite?

Thats why I like the Star system. Our top picks should come into play, but if many of us like a team as our second choice it could creep into the top five.

Comment

Looks like you have a special team of great cappers assembled. Now you must find a way to come together as one.

I wish you all the best BETTORS WORLD team in the Hilton Contest, make us proud.

If there is anything I can do to help you guy's (pro-bono) let me know.

Carpet

Comment

Working...
                            X