Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois -9.5 vs Western Michigan 9-1-2012

Illinois opened a 8.5 chalk vs Western Michigan. The line has moved to -9.5

Illinois opens up at home facing a tough Broncos team from Western Michigan. A Mac conference team. Illinois has a new Head Coach who also comes from the mac conference (Beckman) he comes from Toledo.

The strength of Illinois is it's defense, the front four of Illinois is as good as any team in the country. They are also solid at the Line backer position. I look for Illinois defense to neutralize the broncos offense most of the game.

On offense Illinois has some weapons and Coach Beckman sees just that, Illinois will operate exclusively with a no huddle offense this year. The HIGH OCTANE spread offense is starting to take shape. The Illini have two really good running backs, Josh Ferguson out of Joliet Catholic and Donovan Young from Texas. Look for the backs to be coming out of the back field catching a swing pass and banging it for yardage.

Special teams last year Illinois was 120th in Nation, tied for dead last in the nation. This has been an area that has been the focus of the team, and I can guarantee you that it will improve from what I see.

Western Michigan is a run and gun team, relying heavily on the offense. Reports I have read coming into this game is that the offense looks a bit sluggish, it is all about timing and it seems off. If that is true do not expect them to find timing against a fast Illinois Defense.

On the defensive side of the ball WM has really been focused on trying to do better, only problem is they are thin on depth. I look for the Illinois offense to be able to move the ball against the broncos d.

Turnovers will be the key to this game, I would sure be interested on what the over/under is on turnovers for this game.

Illinois 28 WM 13

Good luck all.

Carpet

Illinois should win this game by 10 points.

Illinois has at least 5 players that should go in the NFL draft next year, the majority is with the defense. This will give the broncos fits as they try to move the ball.

On offense Illinois poses a real match up problem for WMU. Illinois can run the ball and Mac teams like WMU is not used to that, as they play a run and gun type of team usually.

It will sure be a interesting game to watch, my money is on Illinois. The pressure is intense for the new coach of Illinois Beckman to win his first game.

Comment

I think a huge factor here is the weather. Heavy rain and some wind looks definite. Last year Illinois out rushed WM 296-35.....but the WM passing game kept them in it (306/167 edge in favor of WM).

On a perfect day, I may look to WM to keep it close, as was the case in the previous 3 meetings (wmich winning one straight up)

If it does play out like that, the under may be worth a look as well........

Comment

Bill Cubit and the Broncos have failed to cover Game 1 the last 6 years; the only year they did was his first as coach, in 2005, and this is the first time since 2006 he's been less than a DD dog.

Comment

. . . . and in some books they are now a 10 point dog.

Comment

offensive coaches led by Chris Beatty will have this offense in high gear they will score points this whole year.This game will allow them to try many things and this will lay the ground work for the Big10 season. They will score all season on everybody but will they be able to do the things that will lead to a successful season.I think it will be a very exciting year.

Comment

Originally posted by noname View Post
              offensive coaches led by Chris Beatty will have this offense in high gear they will score points this whole year.This game will allow them to try many things and this will lay the ground work for the Big10 season. They will score all season on everybody but will they be able to do the things that will lead to a successful season.I think it will be a very exciting year.
              I agree with you Illinois will open it wide up on offense and they have all the weapons to do it, at this point these players are being "coached up".

Do not forget this is a senior class that was ranked in the top 15 in the nation. Zook did not leave the cup board bare for this new coach.

the one thing that stands out is the intensity and motivation that coach Beckman has brought to the table. Give me a high strung, motivated coach any day in this situation.

Comment

ILLINOIS 24 WMU 7

The defense of Illinois was solid. Holding WMU to -6 yards total rushing, also forcing 3 Int's and 1 Fumble

Illinois covers as predicted

Comment

Nice call Carpet. You know your Illini..Good job!!

Comment

Working...
                  X