Illinois opens -1 vs Louisiana Tech NCAA Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois opens -1 vs Louisiana Tech NCAA Football

Illinois opens a 1 point chalk at home vs a very explosive La Tech team.

Lets look at some numbers to compare these two teams.

La Tech:

# 3 in the nation scoring averages 56.0 ppg. Let's drill down on that. That was scoring 56 points against Rice and 56 against Houston State.

This team is up there in all categories on offense but they have not played anyone with a Defense this year. Let alone a team that can generate some offense.

Let's flip the coin and look at La Tech on Defense.

# 120 in the nation on pass defense allowing 392 yards per game.
    # 118 in the nation scoring defense
    # 120 in the nation in total defense allowing 585 yards per game.

A Look at Illinois:

Nathan Sheelhaase looks good to go for this game, but with the performance of the back up QB last week they may just rest him for Penn State.

Illinois is ranked 20th in the nation on rush defense 94 yards a game allowed.
    # 25 in total defense allowing 298 yards per game.

A look at this game:

La Tech will gun sling the ball all night long on offense and if they watched the film of the Arizona State game they will know exactly how to attack this defense

I also see Illinois moving the ball and scoring to keep up, there is no way that La Tech will stop Illinois from scoring. Look for the defense of Illinois to show you the adjustments they made coming out of Arizona to play a very similar team.

This will be a very good game to watch. My only fear is that this new coach of Illinois is stacking the deck looking forward to the big 10 opener with Penn State next week.

More to follow

-1 @ home? I'll jump all over that will both feet. Illini's defense is not even in the same world as Rice.

Rice gave up 646 to UCLA, which includes 343 rushing on 37 attempts!!! Plus UCLA was 24-32 passing!!!

Rice gave up 606 to LA Tech, which includes 303 rushing.

Rice is giving up over 6+ yards per attempt!!! Ummmm..........Illini's D can tackle the guy running with the ball.

LA Tech played Houston not Houston State, the Houston Cougars. Who were hanging points with them (56-49).

From the surface, IMHO, LA Tech does not play D, Illini can, giving 1 point is stunning! Should be a TD.
    Last edited by Taxman; 09-16-2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

The line has moved to Illinois -3

Comment

A Post from a La-Tech fan, well thought out. It's worth the read.

Hello Illini. Looking forward to this weekends track meet! I lived outside of Chicago for a while when I was young and became a big fan of your basketball team and try to catch them playing whenever they are on TV.

Saw some earlier predictions and comments. Our offense is probably even better than you think and so far it looks like our defense might be even worse. Both teams are going to score a lot of points. It should be very entertaining. We are probably much faster on offense than what you would be expecting from a non-AQ. For those of you that think ASU is faster than us simply because we play in the WAC and they are a PAC12 team, I think you will be in for a shock. We run an Air Raid offense similar to what Mike Leach ran at Texas Tech except we happen to be loaded at OL and RB this year so our coach has tightened up the splits on the OL and we are running the ball much more.

On Defense, we have big run stuffing DT's over 300#'s that we rotate in and I feel good about them but I think our LB's are a bit slow and definitely our weak point thus far. We generally run a 4-2-5. Unless our DC knows something we don't and can pull a rabbit out of his hat your offense should have a good day but they will have to.

Watch your team when I can and most AQ's every week and trust me those of you who are predicting a low scoring game from either team are in for a surprise. I think you have a good defense but our offense is every bit as good as ASU. I would be completely shocked if either of our teams score under 30. I just hope we don't make your QB look like a Heisman winner.

For those of you who don't know anything about Tech we are in North La. which is pine forest and rolling hills. Not the stereotypical swampy Cajun country at all. This is our last year in the WAC as we are moving to CUSA next year. We have produced 3 former NFL Hall Of Famers so far. Our most well known athletes are Terry Bradshaw and Karl Malone.

After this weekend I wish you nothing but the best. Win out and take the Big10.

Comment

I am picking up rumblings that Illinois stud corner back Terry Hawthorne (Black Cat)
          is not a full strength and may not play.

It is early in the week let's see how this pans out, because Illinois needs this special player on the field.

Comment

Illinois QB Nathan Sheelhaase is game ready and should play.

Last game Illinois rested 6 starters including 6-6 300 pound Graham Posic at center, This is a NFL center (future) who can really drive you off the ball. Look for Illinois to run the ball with posic leading the way.

Illinois has one worry and that is defending a team that will throw 50 passes a game, playing it fast and covering those slide routes. They have been working hard on this area of the game. They looked confused and gassed vs Arizona State in the desert.

I see this game some where about 32-28 Illinois.

One thing that sticks about this game to me is how hard Illinois hit's. And I know that La-Tech has not played anybody this year that hits as hard as Illinois. I suspect that La-Tech will lose a few to many players to injury in this game.

More to follow...

Carpet

Comment

The Line has moved to -2.5 Illinois down from 3 at most places.

A few quotes from the Illinois coach today:

"Nathan Sheelhaase is ALMOST 100%. He looked very good in practice today"

"We plan to bring the pressure on their QB on defense"

My interpretation from the above is that a healthy Sheelhaase at QB for Illinois is huge and he is going to play. If he is one bit rusty or a step slow the coach may insert Otolle at back up to take charge. Either way I like Illinois chance to move the ball.

On the defensive side the coach said he is going to pressure the QB, There is no doubt in my military mind that Coach Beckman has seen something on film, and has the only hope to stop or slow down a aerial barrage of 55 passes a game thrown at you.

Yes they are fast La-Tech but are they tough? Can they take a pounding that Big 10 teams seem to play? Arizona State provided a blue print on how to beat Illinois in the secondary.You can bet the farm that the Illini coach is is dialed in on fixing this.

Comment

Illinois is bad business man ... good luck

Comment

Originally posted by ShawNee922 View Post
                  Illinois is bad business man ... good luck
                  Not quite sure what you mean that Illinois is bad business.

I provide insider information to my fellow members here on Illinois Football and Illinois Basketball. If you have something more constructive to add I am all ears.

Comment

I am calling this game 38-30 Illinois

Illinois rushes for 280 yards maybe 350 in this game and the defense keeps Illinois in this game.

One key point I look at is special teams play and Illinois should be able to run one back this game.
                    Last edited by Carpet; 09-20-2012, 07:35 PM.

Comment

What happened here? I was not able to watch it?

Illinois opens at -1.5 at home vs. Penn State...Seem like a solid bet but want to know whats going on with this Illinois team?

Comment

Originally posted by Carpet View Post
                        Not quite sure what you mean that Illinois is bad business.

I simply mean, they are a very bad team ... And getting worse by the day.

Comment

Working...
                        X