Air Force vs Hawaii - this game needs to be invesigated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Force vs Hawaii - this game needs to be invesigated

I didn't bet a dime on this game so it's not about that..... I'm ex-Air Force so I have a mild interest at best. But you have to question the AF coach about this game plan. The line was AF -22 and O/U 60. Air Force didn't attempt one pass in the entire game. Hawaii had given up 18 passing TD's for the year. In the 4th Q with 7 min left they force Hawaii to punt from their 1 yd line and don't even set up a return. There is no one back there to return the ball and they just let the kick roll to the 30 yd line....the only punt of the game where they didn't set up a return. They could have fielded the ball at the 50 for crying out loud. I don't know if the Mob had the AF coach's family held hostage or what but that is the most questionable game I have ever watched as far as possible fixes are concerned. Bottom line, AF wins 21-7 without even trying.
    Last edited by dragon1952; 11-16-2012, 11:41 PM.

had a small amount on air force and I agree. Not a single pass the entire game by air force. That is un freaking real. It's not like he's done this before either. It's not a normal game plan. I just flat out do not understand.

Comment

Well, if Air Force won 21-7 without attempting a pass, it sounds like the game plan worked!

Comment

I was at that game. To be honest that punt from the 1 had the returner confused. If you recall, the entire game Hawaii kept rolling out to punt and sent 4 gunners down the side where the punt would land forcing Air Force to send more guys to block in the landing zone of the punt. The prior punts keep bouncing as Hawaii was trying to get the punt to hit Air Force's blockers. Also, the punt return muffed a punt earlier. So, after that muffed punt, Air Force stopped with blocking the gunners and the return ran away from the punt. That punt you question was the only normal catch the ball and punt, not a roll out and attempt to bounce the ball.

So, IMO, I have an unbiased opinion on the punt return.

Regarding the passing, look at how Air Force's offense has worked this year.

If they have the lead, they are not throwing:
        Examples:
        9/29 vs. Colorado State 5 attempts
        10/20 vs. New Mexico 4 attempts
        10/26 vs. Nevada 7 attempts

2 other games they had 9 pass attempts.

AFA was struggling and had to have a game plan to get their 6 win to become bowl eligible.

Oh yeah, did you see the Hawaii left handed quarterbacks? Absolutely horrible!

Comment

I thought Phillip Rivers threw like a girl. This guy threw like a 10 year old girl whose hand was too small to grip the football. Regardless, it is totally unbelievable to not attempt one pass. At some point you'd think you'd take them by such surprise you'd have a walk-in TD. Anyway how is 5, 4, 7 and 9 attempts not throwing compared to none :^ / None as in 0!
          Last edited by dragon1952; 11-17-2012, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon1952 View Post
            Anyway how is 5, 4, 7 and 9 attempts not throwing compared to none :^ / None as in 0!
            Agreed!

Comment

Evidently someone got wind of the "game plan" because the spread went from opening at 24.5 to 21 by game time. Just seems a little fishy to me.

Comment

I also call for a full investigation! I had AF 1H & for the game. As soon as the first AF drop back resulted in a sack and then subsequent punt after they had rushed for the initial 1D, I knew I had yet another TV game loser. When you can't ram the ball down their throats and score at will vs a swiss cheese defense like Judge Ito/Norm Chow's team has then you know you are on the wrong side.................btw, just curious.....why wasn't hawaii flagged on those rugby punts for linemen downfield early? that punter took several seconds to kick and the entire kicking team is charging full speed ahead. what exactly is the rule anyway?

Comment

The punt plays similar to a pass. Inside line can't release
                  until the ball is away.
                  Taxman you were one of the few....

Comment

I had interest as well, using AF on a parlay card, and barely covering the Super Teaser at -13 1/2........How in the f*ck could Hawaii average giving up 42 points-a-game, and then hold an explosive running attack to just half that ? While the best RB on the team (Getz) fumbles the ball twice in Hawaii territory. Definitely got rear-ended on that game.......Always seems to happen that way on these weekday nationally televised money burners.
                    ;)

Comment

I tell ya....the fix was in :^ /

Comment

What I said about the punt in college doesn't apply.
                        Please disregard that, I should know better!
                        It did seem that there was an unspoken agreement to
                        not run it up on Hawaii. No mercy rules, so a wink wink
                        agreement.
                        Having a parlay with this game in it would make
                        me sick if it didn't cover.

Comment

Working...
                        X