Hockey Thurs 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey Thurs 17

Well, Anaheim held on!! They didnt look good at all, very nonchalant. I guess you can do that when you beat a team 19 out 20 at home. So, I hit both bets and ended up adding another star to Anaheim.

So, last night 2-0. YTD 8-2 +982
    Early bets in for today.
    NYI 2*(might change to 3)
    Chic 2*
    CLS 1*

Not seeing a whole lot of interest. I may be just writing to myself.
    Dear Wisconsin: just keep betting hockey instead of beating your head against the wall when Indy loses by 10 and Atla loses straight up to the NYJ on Monday nights!!!

No don't bang your head.I never play hockey but after looking at your results that may be the way to go maybe the lack of knowledge will help to just stick with the systems. How are you doing in the survivor pool ? I am debating between atl or miami.

Comment

You're not writing to yourself. Please carry on.

There was not much interest yesterday in the 2 games on board.

I'll give you my insight for today's game this afternoon.

Still looking at a few.

Comment

Under 5.5 Chicago/stl.

Comment

Thoughts on my early bets:
          Chic-Stl This is a big rivalry. These 2 teams usually beat up on each other. This game will be close. The last 4 in Chicago were 1 goal games with 3 ending in a shootout. These teams played 8 days ago with Stl scoring the game winner with 21 seconds left at home. Chic is still pissed off that they didn't get that game to OT. Before a loss at home last Apr, Chicago had won 8 straight at home. With Stl coming off of their beat down by San Jose I like the Blackhawks in this one.
          The NYI stay at home against EDM. This falls under Garister's chase system and the Islanders are still upset that they gave away that last game to Buffalo. They still have a home point streak of 6-0-3 dating back to last year. Edm has dropped 6 str in NY and haven't won there since 1999. Edm can score though and are giving up an avg of over 4 goals a game. I am debating the over which is 6 for this game. Looking back ytd there have been 5 games with a total of 6 and all of them went under. This game will probably be high scoring, but I am going to stay away from the total and stick with the Islanders.
          CLS at Montreal. Mont is coming home off of a 4 game road trip, winning their last 3. Columbus has been playing tough losing to Det and Bost. They had 64 shots in those 2 games, but couldn't get the puck to fall. CLS has won 4 of the last 5 in Mont and with the Canadiens coming off of their road trip I am going to give this trend a shot.

Comment

Islanders/ red wings +1.5 ---parlay

Comment

I see we are thinking alike:

Columbus +125 (OT included):
              I like to fade a team coming home from a trip, even more so when the trip is successful and includes a visit to the Canadian West Coast. NHL players for years have called that three-game trip through Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton the toughest of the season. Montreal also played at Winnipeg. Montreal is playing well but this is a difficult spot against a quality Columbus team.

Chicago -145 (but I am leaning regulation only to get better odds, yes I know it riskier, but I feel the Hawks are looking to pay back STL)
              Teams that bow out of the playoffs quietly after great regular seasons tend to spiral downward and that may be the case with St. Louis. We all know they were dominated by San Jose and 3 of their 4 wins have come against Nashville, Florida and the Rangers (not in the upper tier of competition). Looking deeper at the team, there is zero “elite” offensive talent on this team.

CAROLINA +130 (MY DOG O' THE DAY!!!)
              Toronto has not started out this well in over 20 years! I have a good buddy working up in Toronto and he cannot believe how popular they are. He's already talking about Saturday's game against Chicago. If he's looking ahead, just image what might be happening in the locker room. Toronto's team is not elite. They are a fringe playoff team that has had every bounce go their way so far. Look at the box score from the Minnesota game: They lead 2-1 after 1, were outshot 17-3!!! That's right only 1 shot was stopped by MIN! They were outplayed and outshot 37-14 in that game.

Carolina has lost 3 in a row and 4 of 5, which has also added this number (along with Toronto's popularity. Side note, back in the day, Toronto and Montreal were the equivalent of the Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers, strong popular following). Carolina has lost to Chicago, Phoenix, Los Angeles and Pittsburgh over that span. They have been very competitive in those games, losing to Chicago and LA in a shootout and were tied with Pittsburgh and Phoenix in the third period.

Great value of Toronto overrated and Carolina undervalued..........that's how I came to my Dog o' the Day aka, Diggety Dog Play!

San Jose (Playing regulation only for better odds)
              This team is running on all cylinders! I'm going to ride them until they get cooled off!

Comment

So, onto the other games. So far this year there has been 15 road favorites with 12 of the favorites coming in. The biggest upset of the 3 losses was Pitt losing at Fla. Pitt sometimes seem to play to their competitions level especially on the road.
                There are 5 road favorites today:
                Van at Buff -145
                Pitt at Phil -160
                Bost at Fla -185
                LOS at Nash -120
                San Jose at Dall -160
                I think 2 or 3 of these favorites lose today. In hockey, it is key to find good dogs and bet them. You can pick between 40-50% and still be a winner. This is something I really need to work on because I am a favorite better ( I try not to be and have changed it a lot) as most people are. So, the question is which ones?
                Buffalo's goalie Miller has been playing extremely well. His team just can't score goals. He is 3-0 against Van in his last 3. Van barely pulled out a win against a bad Phil team. I am going to go with the Sabres for a 2nd win for 1/2*.
                Bost is off of a tough loss to Det at home. Last year the Bruins were 3-0 against Fla outscoring them 11-2. I will take Boston 1* for this bounce back game.
                Pitt plays Philly which is a big PA rivalry. Phil has been playing alright, but can't score. I think they have lost leads in the 3P in 4or 5 of the games. They will be up for this game. A win in their mind could get them rolling. I haven't decided what to do with this game. Philly is just so bad!! I would just hate to leave an easy Pitt play on the table. I might use them in a parlay.
                The Kings at Nash, If LA had not gotten blown out last game I would probably bet Nash here. LOS goalie Quick is 1-5-2 against the Predators. Nash has one of the top home records in the last 5 years. No play here.
                Last but not least, San Jose. In case you can't tell, I love the Sharks this year!! But, I think off of the big game against Stl they may be headed for a letdown. Dall had their number at home last year holding them to one goal twice. I hate getting off of a hot team like San Jose, but they have to lose sometime. I don't think I can bet this one.

Anyone have thoughts on these????

Comment

Taxman, I had the same thoughts on Car. I am adding them for 1/2*.

Comment

NJD at Ott Ottawa coming home from a 5 game road trip. NJD Still winless. I hope the devils win this one because that will setup a good play On Sat against the Rangers. The Senators beat them all 3 games last year, but they were all close, 2 ending in a shootout. My play on this combines with....
                    Minn at TBay The Lightning have been running hot, but their top player St Louis is doubtful for this game. Minn has the toughest defense giving up around only 20 shots/game. Minn is 5-1-1 their last 7 against TB. I am taking Minn.
                    Minn 1/2*
                    Parlay 1/4*
                    Minn
                    NJD
                    CLS

Comment

Ok, I find the last game of the night very interesting!!! Colo-Det.. Det is playing their 3rd game in 4 nights against a Colorado team that is still undefeated. Patrick Roy in his rookie season has his players fired up and playing well. Like I said before kind of like Harbaugh's rookie season in SF. Roy Played in Montreal early in his career under a coach named Mario Tremblay. In a game where they were getting beat badly Tremblay wouldn't take Roy out of the game. When he finally did Roy went to him on the bench and told him that was the last game he would play for him. They traded him to Colorado where, well history was made.. Roy has 6 wins to start his career tied with no one else, but Tremblay. He can also set Colorados best start by winning this game. Now, Roy is downplaying all of this, but if you know what kind of fiery competitor he is you know he wants to break Tremblay's record. He also playing against his biggest rival from when he played Detroit.
                      Detroit won the last 3 by 1 goal. Like I said Det is on their 3rd game in 4 nights. They have avg 35/game in their last 5 games. They have used their backup goalie Gustavsson for the last 2 because Jimmy Howard is hurt and isn't supposed to play tonight. The goalie for the Avalanche, Varlamov has only given up a league low 6 goals. I think if you put it all together it spells an avalanche..haha I think it will be close, but I am taking Colorado 1* and a parlay Colo-Pitt 1*

So, hopefully this is my final tally for the day..
                      NYI 2*
                      Chic 2*
                      CLS 1*
                      Bost 1*
                      Colo 1*
                      Parlay Colo-Pitt 1*
                      1/2*'s on Buff, Car and Minn
                      And a 1/4 parlay on Minn, NJD and CLS that pays 240

Good Luck to everyone!!

Comment

Ton of picks Wisky. Good Luck!

I have New Jersey +140 tonight. Also, considering coming
                        back with a pick on Under 5 for this game as well. New Jersey
                        doesn't have a win, but they lost by 1 in three of these past
                        four road games. At this point of the season, I compare the
                        Devils to the NYRangers. Even though the Rangers faced a harder
                        group of Western teams, the Devils seem more competative on
                        their current swing through the West.
                        The Devils have stewed in Ottawa for three days now, so I thing
                        they come out with a win tonight.
                        Also, going against Ott with the first game home after a road trip
                        theory.

Comment

Yeah, I am trying to get my record for posted picks closer to .500!!

Comment

I went went away from the grain picks tonight

10/17/13 7:35PM New Jersey Devils at Ottawa Senators pickem/-160
                            10/17/13 8:05PM St Louis Blues at Chicago Blackhawks Over 5½/+110
                            10/17/13 9:05PM Detroit Red Wings pickem/+120 at Colorado Avalanche

Comment

Carolina was down 2-0, scored 3 in the third to win. That 3rd goal will be as fluky as you'll ever see!

The Dog o' the Day aka, Diggety Dog Play is 2-0 +245 ytd

Comment

Working...
                              X