upset of the week contest 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upset of the week contest 2015

I realize this is way ahead of time but there seemed to be a lot of interest in making this a prize contest. Everyone that may be interested next year please post thoughts about rules, entry payment amount etc. The one thing that I see that could be a snag is that everyone will be shelling out money for the main contests (mock Hilton, NFL and college game of the week). My thought is that we start in July taking up money if there is enough interest in this contest to spread out the money. That way everyone wouldn't be hammered all at once.

Again, I know this is a long way out but I would like any input.

RR84

This is one contest that really sharpens the saw for sure.

I would for sure join this contest because it helps you beat the book.

$20 entry fee-low price point-high value. Need to clarify rules such as a pick must be 3 points or greater to win as a Dog.

So kick this off Red Raider I am in let's see what we can build in conjunction with the Mock Hilton-NFL GOW-College GOW contest here-These players love games.

Carpet

Comment

I think 20 dollars would be a fair price. We typically don't have as many players in this contest so it would probably be a winner take all type thing. I also think that you could buy as many entries as you would like. Of course I would love any suggestions about rules or any other changes you think need to be made.

Can't wait to get started again!

RR84

Comment

Im up for it.

One idea I thought would be fun, and maybe this can be even a separate contest or side bet------what if there was an upset contest that rewarded the winner of a pick points based on the spread? In other words, if someone picks Hawaii +20 over Colorado State, Hawaii wins, they get 20 points, versus Illinois +7 over Wisconsin, they would get 7 . . . .just an idea to raise the stakes.

I get this allows the the astronomical possibility someone could pick Nichols St +73 over Oregon, and kill it with one pick, but we know thats not gonna happen. Especially if they plunk down cash.

Comment

Reward for points, or everyone will pick the smallest dogs. For money, you'd be crazy not to. Maybe 28 points max reward?

Or just make it minimum 3.5 dogs?

Comment

red raider and I had a little discussion on this towards the end of last season, just passing thoughts on
            doing this as a contest. I think doing the "College Upset of the Week" as a pay for play contest would be
            fun and also different from all the other contests.

Let's be honest, we get maybe 30-35 posters on college football, so if are able to do something a little
            different it might bring more players.

We have time to set details, but after MP's and widestrides posts, what would you think about doing a point
            system where points are given to each player by total difference between the underdog line and the margin
            of victory? i.e. a +5 team wins say 35-28, the player would get a total of 12 points for that upset win and cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichinsky View Post
              red raider and I had a little discussion on this towards the end of last season, just passing thoughts on
              doing this as a contest. I think doing the "College Upset of the Week" as a pay for play contest would be

Let's be honest, we get maybe 30-35 posters on college football, so if are able to do something a little

We have time to set details, but after MP's and widestrides posts, what would you think about doing a point
              system where points are given to each player by total difference between the underdog line and the margin
              of victory? i.e. a +5 team wins say 35-28, the player would get a total of 12 points for that upset win and cover.

That still wouldn't discourage most guys from just picking +3 dogs. In fact, I would always pick a +3 dog under those rules, because now I can be rewarded even more as the +3 dogs are most likely to win and now I will get extra points when they win big. Sure you will get an extra 10 points when a +10 dog wins, but that won't happen often enough to make it a good % play.

Comment

I have no problem with either way you guys want to do it. I like it either way. Everybody else that plays chime in and let us know how you feel. Stay the course of dogs of +3 or more or go with a point system. I have no problem with it either way...

Like I said I am just happy to be here and if all goes well my treatments will be over September 2nd. So you know I am ready for football season.

Comment

Originally posted by red raider 84 View Post
                  I have no problem with either way you guys want to do it. I like it either way. Everybody else that plays chime in and let us know how you feel. Stay the course of dogs of +3 or more or go with a point system. I have no problem with it either way...

Like I said I am just happy to be here and if all goes well my treatments will be over September 2nd. So you know I am ready for football season.
                  God Bless you Red Raider-Roll Tide

Comment

Going to give you, guys some insider info-Corn Picker will be joining us in the contest.

Corn Picker lives out in the middle of no where he loves sports and listens to the radio all day while he works and drives. He has no computer does everything on paper.

He can tell you something every time about a team that you did not know instantly and I feel Corn Picker is a perfect match for this difficult contest.

Comment

There have been some guys shine in this contest. Pdiddy and Winnersbyt&b just to name a couple. Glad to have cornpicker. The more the merrier.

Comment

Guys,

After thinking about this a bit, I just wonder will too many people try to hit the big dog for the big gain instead of picking a good solid dog? My goal here is to get quality picks to help me beat my local book. Also, I could see a guy that has a 5-1 record being behind because someone got lucky and hit two big dogs that has a record of 2-4. This is my fear of doing it with the points. But the main reason I don't like it is the loss of some quality picks. I still will go for whatever the majority want. But I thought I would express my concerns.

You guys make the call,

RR84

Comment

Widestrides brought up a good point. I'll try and validate this, but I think that the +3 picks last year
                          still hit below 40%. Just my recollection. Let me do some checking and get back on that.

red raider, I think you and I can come up with something. You have my contest email if you want to
                          try and work out a plan off of Bettorsworld. My main issue is to lay out a fair contest and not have the
                          back and forth posts we get on the rules for the contests each year.
                          Let's set a roll out date of August 1. If we're not doing a "College Game of the Week", I can help
                          with scoring.

Comment

Widestrides brought up a good point. I'll try and validate this, but I think that the +3 picks last year
                            still hit below 40%. Just my recollection. Let me do some checking and get back on that.

red raider, I think you and I can come up with something. You have my contest email if you want to
                            try and work out a plan off of Bettorsworld. My main issue is to lay out a fair contest and not have the
                            back and forth posts we get on the rules for the contests each year.
                            Let's set a roll out date of August 1. If we're not doing a "College Game of the Week", I can help
                            with scoring.

Sounds good....I will contact you in the next week or so. I am open to anything as long as we all play by the same rules. Over the years I have let people slide on late posts. That will change if we are putting down cash.

I do hope you continue to run the college contest. Last season was so nice not to have all the hoopla that we have had in years past. I thought you did an excellent job.

Comment

Thanks.
                              I only check that email every so often, but I'll look forward to your ideas.

Here's my thinking. We probably will only have interest in one paid
                              College contest, especially if the Mock Hilton continues to add players.
                              Doing something where we can highlight our capping skills would seem to
                              be the best option and the most fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X