No announcement yet.

MISS ST/ MISSISSIPPI IS THIS THE YEAR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MISS ST/ MISSISSIPPI IS THIS THE YEAR?

Last year I was high on Mississippi but Miss st was a bit of a surprise to me. I felt midway through the season that one of them would win the SEC. It ended up with Bama winning again but there was no doubt that progress was made for both teams. This year according to Phil Steele Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, and Texas A&M have top ten toughest schedules in the nation. That leaves LSU and the Mississippi teams. I know Bama's is certainly tough.

I think the SEC west will be highly competitive and is totally up for grabs. I like Ole Miss again to win it but I was wrong last year. They are going to be loaded again and the schedule is more favorable than the teams above. Miss st has DP coming back at qb and the will leave their mark next year again.

It is way too early to start naming the conference winners but I do think both teams have a legit shot again this year.

GL

RR84

It is interesting to see the early polls. Bama is ranked #2 behind Ohio st. They really have a tough schedule and there is no way they go undefeated. I think the SEC west will beat up on each other and everybody will have at least 1 conference loss. Bama has at Georgia and Tennessee from the East to play. I think they will be in the top three teams on that side. With Wisconsin, Ole Miss, and Georgia right off the bat, it is highly unlikely that Bama wins all of those games.

Most of the early magazines have Ole Miss ranked 4th in the SEC west. I sure don't see that. This is going to be a fun season to handicap. The SEC could be the hardest in my opinion to handicap because I see not clear front runner on either side. I can't wait to get started...

What say ye Bret?

RR84

Comment

rr84, thought this was good trivia.
      Can you name the only player to win the Heisman with Bear Bryant as his coach?
      Don't peak.

Comment

Also, when I get a little more time, I want to talk about the real possibility that Arkansas will have a great
        opportunity to move past Ole Miss and the Dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichinsky View Post
          Also, when I get a little more time, I want to talk about the real possibility that Arkansas will have a great
          opportunity to move past Ole Miss and the Dogs.
          Kman,

For the first question...I know but I don't. I certainly have heard of who it is and I think he is from Texas A&M. But I do not recall the name. I know he wasn't from Bama.

Part two of your post...

I agree that the Hogs have a shot. I love the way they played at the end of last year. They were really physical and that is how you have to play in the SEC. According to Phil Steele they have the hardest schedule in the nation. It is going to be exciting to watch. I love Bama but I would like to see someone else step up and make it interesting. I just feel as anyone has a shot this year. I am not so high on Texas A&M but I won't say they can't.

Good luck next year Kman. The way you started the bowl contest, I thought for sure you would win it. I think you borrowed the horse I was on during the regular college contest. He was great out of the gate but stunk it up down the stretch.

RR84

Comment

John David Crow. I just looked it up. I have heard that trivia question several times and just couldn't remember the name.

Comment

LSU qb Jennings suspended from team. Ouch..That could hurt them.

Comment

When some said John David Crow didn't gain many yards for a Heisman winner,
                Bear Bryant said, " That don't count the people he knocked down."

Crow passed away yesterday at 79.

Comment

I almost said John David Phillips but I remembered he was a Bama qb who was benched in favor of Andrew Zow. I actually played golf with Andrew Zow in B'ham several years ago and we talked about that. Nice guy but not much of a golfer. I beat him that day but I played over my head. (cause I am not that good myself) Bama had some rough years back then.

Comment

SEC RETURNING STARTERS

TEAM TOTAL OFFENSE DEFENSE K/P?
                    Tennessee 18 10 8 Y/N
                    Vanderbilt 18 9 9 Y/Y
                    Ole Miss 17 9 8 Y/Y
                    LSU 16 8 8 Y/Y
                    Arkansas 15 8 7 N/N
                    Kentucky 14 7 7 Y/Y
                    Texas A&M 13 7 6 N/Y
                    South Carolina13 5 8 Y/N
                    Florida 13 7 6 Y/N
                    Missouri 13 7 6 Y/N
                    Auburn 12 4 8 Y/Y
                    Alabama 12 4 8 Y/Y
                    Georgia 11 6 5 Y/Y
                    Miss. State 7 4 3 Y/Y

Comment

Ole Miss 18
                      Arkansas 15
                      LSU 15 (Lost Jennings to suspension)

I think one of these teams will win the West. Still leaning Ole Miss if the JC qb transfer comes through.

Comment

Ole Miss 18
                        Arkansas 15
                        LSU 15 (Lost Jennings to suspension)

I think one of these teams will win the West. Still leaning Ole Miss if the JC qb transfer comes through.

Comment

You brought up one big point. Ole Miss's QB.
                          We can add Georgia, Florida and S. Carolina as teams with unknowns at QB.

Points for Arkansas:
                          Last year, they lost to Alabama by a point. They beat Texas in their bowl game, 31-7.

This year, the week before the Ole Miss game they play UT Martin. Ole Miss will be at
                          Auburn that week. Arkansas will play LSU and Miss. St the week after each faces Alabama.
                          We've talked about how teams don't cover the week after they play the Tide, one thing
                          that's not likely to change. Their first four games are at home. A&M is there opponent in
                          the 4th game, but Arkansas should be favored.

Lastly, I think everyone their is quite happy with Bielma. We had a lot of discussion if he was
                          the right pick, but I think Arkansas' choices were a lot more limited at that time. The AD tried
                          for some big fish (Miles) and he hit on, what I think, is the right coach for beating the big dogs
                          in the SEC.

Comment

I like Arkansas chances to be up there. I agree the coach B has them on the right track. You are also correct about Ole Miss schedule at the end. Don't know much about the qb JC transfer and will Treadwell play the same after that horrific injury against Auburn last year? It is going to really fun to watch and I think very competitive this year.

What do you think about the East, if you have an opinion on it? I know Tennessee will be better but I don't know about winning it. Florida can't seem to compete anymore but I think they will be somewhat better. Missouri has won it the last two years but I don't know how good they will be this year. I just don't have a team in mind that I really like on that side.

Thanks for replying Kman. Totally bored this time of year.

RR84

Comment

Rank Team Total Athlon Lindy McIllece ESPN TSN Harris Phil
                              Points Sports Steele
                              East
                              1 Georgia 7 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
                              2 Tennessee 16½ 2 2 2 2 2 4 2½
                              3 Missouri 23½ 4 3 5 3 3 3 2½
                              4 Florida 24½ 3 4 3 4 4 2 4½
                              5 South Carolina 33½ 5 5 4 5 5 5 4½
                              6 Kentucky 42 6 6 6 6 6 6 6
                              7 Vanderbilt 49 7 7 7 7 7 7 7
                              West
                              1 Alabama 9 1 1 1 2 2 1 1
                              2 Auburn 18 2 2 2 6 1 2 3
                              3 Louisiana State 20 4 3 3 1 3 4 2
                              4 Mississippi 33 3 6 6 3 5 6 4
                              5 Arkansas 34½ 5 5 7 5 4 3 5½
                              6 Texas A&M 38½ 6 4 5 4 7 7 5½
                              7 Mississippi State 43 7 7 4 7 6 5 7

Early magazine rankings..... sorry for the clutter but maybe you can sort it out. If not the web site I got this from is STASSEN.COM

Comment

Working...
                              X