The NFL Mock Hilton/Westgate contest will return for year #6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Guesser View Post
    I would be totally against such a change. We want to duplicate the Hilton/Westgate contest as much as possible. This would totally violate that.
    Then we should also limit the number of entries to two like the real SuperContest does. A couple guys had four last year. That's a bit much although none of them cashed last year.

And would you also say we should have the same deadline of 3 PM like the real SuperContest rather than our Midnight deadline?

Comment

Originally posted by widestrides View Post
      Then we should also limit the number of entries to two like the real SuperContest does. A couple guys had four last year. That's a bit much although none of them cashed last year.

And would you also say we should have the same deadline of 3 PM like the real SuperContest rather than our Midnight deadline?
      I'd be fine with a deadline shift, if that's what the majority would want. The # of entries, no, because it's more money into the pot,. But if the majority want to limit entries, that's what we should do, although I see no real reason to do it. My dead money on 4 entries is better for the pool, than just 2.
      We can't entirely duplicate the Supercontest because we can see each other's picks before deadline, so there will always be some slight differences. But we should strive to do it as much as possible, IMO. A change that you can post a Thursday game separately from the other 4 would be too much of a fundamental change, IMO. It's a prime part of the strategy for the contest, to use the Thursday game or not.

Comment

With all the discussion in the other thread, I see allowing a Thursday play without posting the other 4 is a shit show waiting to happen. A score keepers nightmare
        Too.

I don't think there is any strategy behind it besides being able to wait for lines to move or injuries on the Sunday game. There has to be a reason they've kept the rules that way for the real contest once they started playing Thursday games every week.

What next, being able to hold off until Sunday night And choosing from the Sunday or Monday night game?

I'm in favor of keeping the Thursday thing as is, but majority can rule.

Comment

Originally posted by The Guesser View Post
          I'd be fine with a deadline shift, if that's what the majority would want. The # of entries, no, because it's more money into the pot,. But if the majority want to limit entries, that's what we should do, although I see no real reason to do it. My dead money on 4 entries is better for the pool, than just 2.
          We can't entirely duplicate the Supercontest because we can see each other's picks before deadline, so there will always be some slight differences. But we should strive to do it as much as possible, IMO. A change that you can post a Thursday game separately from the other 4 would be too much of a fundamental change, IMO. It's a prime part of the strategy for the contest, to use the Thursday game or not.
          I'm fine with choosing the SuperContest rules we want to follow and tweaking those we don't want to follow exactly. But then stop using the excuse that we can't make this change because we have to be like the real SuperContest. We should do what we think is best for our contest regardless. There is nothing sacred that says we have to be EXACTLY like the SuperContest. We've already deviated from it here and there and it's no big deal. The main thing is the basic concept of picking 5 games a week against the spread. Any proposed change should stand on its own merit and how it can help our contest. Nothing should be dismissed just because that's not how the SuperContest does it. Because we've already varied from it in a few ways to make our contest work and be better.

So do we really want to allow some shark or syndicate to come in and enter 10 entries?

Comment

The SuperContest has over 1000 entries and only allows two max per social security number. With only 100 entries in our Contest, do we want to allow someone to have 10 entries?

Comment

The Super Contest DOES have that 2 entry rule. However, there is nothing preventing some "syndicate" or group from having as many entries as they feel worthwhile. They can use proxies, different names, etc.etc.

I think if the westgate/hilton had a posting forum, and allowed it's contestants and potential contestants to comment and make suggestions on the rules, they would have the same conflicting opinions we have here.

Bottom line, you can never make everyone happy. There will always be disagreements as to what the rules SHOULD be.

That being said, I agree that allowing to pick the Thurs game and then coming back in later to post the rest just isn't a good idea. It would be a mess for the scorekeeper. A nightmare.

The other conflict seems to be about the use of the word COULD or WILL in rule #5. I have to agree with the WILL crowd. It either IS allowed or it ISN'T. Has to be black and white.

No editing of picks allowed after posted. PERIOD. If you post the same team twice, one of those will be a loss. Just be sure to take the time to make sure your picks are correct before posting.

Anything else?

Comment

I still think multiple entries is fine but I don't see how doing more than 2-3 is worth it actually in our contest.

If we get a syndicate or sharp in our contest, I will ride them to the bank at my book! Welcome in! Ha.

Like Jeff said, in anything people have opinions. I guess the best thing to do if you really don't like a rule that much is don't play. It's not like anyone has signed in blood having to enter this contest!

Pretty simple.

Comment

I agree with Woodee. Pay and play, or stay away. Very Simple, and The Boys isn't going to change anything else in this contest because all of the rules are solid. No more complaining please Pay or go away and play your own game.

Comment

Originally posted by woodee12 View Post
                    I still think multiple entries is fine but I don't see how doing more than 2-3 is worth it actually in our contest.

If we get a syndicate or sharp in our contest, I will ride them to the bank at my book! Welcome in! Ha.

Like Jeff said, in anything people have opinions. I guess the best thing to do if you really don't like a rule that much is don't play. It's not like anyone has signed in blood having to enter this contest!

Pretty simple.

Woodee I know how you love to follow my NFL selections but I am only playing one entry.....lol

I do agree with you my friend...

Comment

Good God. Looks like I need to log back in here a little more regularly! What the hell is all this bickering about?
                      If there is a free-for-all with rule changes, I want the option of widening the games to include international rugby.
                      OR WE COULD KEEP EVERYTHING AS IT'S ALWAYS BEEN

Comment

Working...
                      X