No announcement yet.

"Mock Hilton/Westgate Rules"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both scenarios could be explained as mistakes and not result in a 0-5 for the week. Editing of posts should result in 0-5 regardless of the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by bret3518 View Post
      Both scenarios could be explained as mistakes and not result in a 0-5 for the week. Editing of posts should result in 0-5 regardless of the reason.
      These two statements sound contradictory. First you say a mistake should not result in an 0-5 and then you say it should. Maybe the first statement was just a hypothetical?

We only have one minute to edit, so there's not much you can do. And why would we need to penalize someone for editing their post? Unless it is edited after the deadline, which is next to impossible with the one minute edit limit.

No one gains any advantage over anyone by editing their post, nor does it mess up the scorekeeper. Let's not be so anal. We are trying to grow the contest, not piss people off.

Comment

Yes i was saying hypothetically they could both be explained and not result in an 0-5 but they shouldnt. It should be pretty simple once the picks are submitted they are final regardless of the reasoning.

Comment

Yes i was saying hypothetically they could both be explained and not result in an 0-5 but they shouldnt. It should be pretty simple once the picks are submitted they are final regardless of the reasoning.
          Seems Pretty clear.

Thank You for putting a light into a dark corner for all to see.

I do not see Westgate using the word COULD when it comes to the rules of picking. This contest is to mirror as closely as possible the rules of Hilton/Westgate.

Rules must be clear- Last thing I want to see again is late post being allowed- Or Editing a pick once you see the QB is out for the game- etc. Just make it pure and clear- WHAT YOU POST IT IS CONCRETE-MUST BE IN BY CUTOFF-NO EXCEPTIONS

I think this is a rule we all could live with and grow this contest.

Comment

Originally posted by widestrides View Post
            No one gains any advantage over anyone by editing their post, nor does it mess up the scorekeeper. Let's not be so anal. We are trying to grow the contest, not piss people off.
            Having rules that aren't clear cut would hurt the contest more. I don't think anyone would not enter the contest if the rule was "editing of picks will result in an 0-5. All posted picks are final."

Comment

Thank you, that was my only point. Changing the word COULD to WILL clears up any confusion. I fee l this will help and not hurt the contest when we all know the rule is clear. All picks are final, no editing or corrections allowed. Eliminates anyone changing pick because of a line move or injury etc. I was in another contest last year that said no changing of picks. But the commissioner said he had the final say. Well u know what happened. one week a guy wanted to change his Fla-Tenn pick 15 minutes before the game and the commish allowed it and he won. Guys were doing the same in pro games. Cost my team a place for the money at end of year. So all picks are final no changes works for me. And when asked if I was in this year I told my buds NO WAY

Comment

Interesting............so you guys waited 6 years to want this rule changed?

Comment

Originally posted by winnersbyt&b View Post
                  Thank you, that was my only point. Changing the word COULD to WILL clears up any confusion.
                  I agree, should be "will," not "could," which leaves it up to a subjective decision by the commissioner later on.

After I make my picks, I double check for clerical errors before I hit the submit button. Takes just a minute to double check them to avoid a mistake.

I think we all know what would happen if one turned in their picks to Westgate and then started to walk away and asked for their entry back to make a change. Once the entry is in, it is in. No editing in their contest. Any editing in our contest should be an 0-5 week.

Comment

The edit feature is set to a minimum - it is only one minute. Just have Jeff turn that off for our weekly thread and no one can possibly get an 0-5 for editing of picks. Done. But maybe that would requre Jeff or The Boys to adjust that setting on each week's thread, and that might be a pain. Unless Jeff just turns off the one minute edit feature on the whole site for football season. Not a big deal, as there's not much you can do in one minute anyway. Most people take that long to figure out they made a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by The Boys View Post
                      Interesting............so you guys waited 6 years to want this rule changed?
                      I find it interesting that you couldnt even explain the rule. Its not that big of a deal people asked for clarification and you decided to be a dick instead. That blew up the conversation more than the actual rule. Hell changing the rule from COULD to WILL makes your job easier and then you dont have to complain about doing all the work.

Comment

Absolutely bret3518. It will make their job much easier. And nobody can complain. Any editing or corrections WILL result in 0-5. Changing one word eliminates any confusion.

Comment

I think what we've done in the past is that if you make an error in a post, like using the same team twice, etc, you simply make an additional post correcting it, right afterwards, instead of editing the original. That works.

Comment

Originally posted by The Guesser View Post
                            I think what we've done in the past is that if you make an error in a post, like using the same team twice, etc, you simply make an additional post correcting it, right afterwards, instead of editing the original. That works.
                            Which according to rule #4 shouldn't be allowed.

Comment

Which according to rule #4 shouldn't be allowed.
                              That's why it's good to have this discussion before the season, to hash it out.

Comment

Originally posted by winnersbyt&b View Post
                                Absolutely bret3518. It will make their job much easier. And nobody can complain. Any editing or corrections WILL result in 0-5. Changing one word eliminates any confusion.
                                Seems perfectly logical.

Comment

Working...
                                X