Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Mock Westgate Hilton Contest"........Week #6.........Post Your 5 Picks Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had Internet Connection Issue.

I understand exactly why Firmness must be present within The Rules, I grasp why but things do happen...posts made from phones come out garbled, Internet Connection Trainwreck disaster at the worst moment possible.

Comment

I agree, thanks for clarification. So the best she can do is 4-1 or still the possibility if they all lose it will be 0-5. And your right widestrides hamburger after the diatribe on Chargerette he ended up missing the deadline. ouch

Comment

Originally posted by hamburger View Post
        I had Internet Connection Issue.

I understand exactly why Firmness must be present within The Rules, I grasp why but things do happen...posts made from phones come out garbled, Internet Connection Trainwreck disaster at the worst moment possible.
        Yeah, not much you can do if you lose connection, and can't even email them in. I guess you would have to run to the nearest McDonalds or Starbucks. I spaced and missed the College GOW entry yesterday. But I was already pretty much out of it, so no great loss. GL on the comeback trail. If your picks go 1-4 today, you won't feel so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by widestrides View Post
          Yeah, not much you can do if you lose connection, and can't even email them in. I guess you would have to run to the nearest McDonalds or Starbucks. I spaced and missed the College GOW entry yesterday. But I was already pretty much out of it, so no great loss. GL on the comeback trail. If your picks go 1-4 today, you won't feel so bad.
          Yeah, it is what it is you know...off a 5-0 week though that had gotten me right back in it where I needed to be....it sucks, the timing of it.

I do dig why exceptions are hard to make, the reality is that what happens as result is a ShitStorm of guys later yelling: "Well you did it for him...or her"

We all wish it was different, that when Acts of God interfere, Mercy could happen. We all do grasp also though, the meaning of the words "Unrealistic" and "Impossible".

What I meant in reference to Chargerette is that past bobbles of hers have been Minor, like this one here was. Less Egregious than managing to miss a deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by winnersbyt&b View Post
            I agree, thanks for clarification. So the best she can do is 4-1 or still the possibility if they all lose it will be 0-5. And your right widestrides hamburger after the diatribe on Chargerette he ended up missing the deadline. ouch
            The Timing of it just Crazy. I've been in this contest for years, as Collywobbles. I never missed a deadline before. A Big Store + Strip mall just got opened nearby, ISP said they had to upgrade The Node which apparently is a really big deal. They said Internet Connectivity Issues might get experienced.

9pm-ish Saturday Night, I don't know if thats what made my connection fail but...yeah.....the timing of this was Brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by Monroe Eaford View Post
              seems pretty simple to me.... Taxmans picks count starting with the redskins pick.

Chargerette didn't edit her post. Her 1st post of picks count. The second post does not.
              So if you make a typo and immediately correct it you're screwed!? Ha ha..... Christ, it's not like she changed a pick :^ /

Comment

#5 No corrections or editing of picks is allowed.......be careful, it will result in a 0-5 for the week.

Best to always double check as not to violate the dreaded Rule # 5. BTW, I believe Chargerette was credited with 2 points this week.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon1952 View Post
                  So if you make a typo and immediately correct it you're screwed!? Ha ha..... Christ, it's not like she changed a pick :^ /
                  If a Vote got taken on the question of whether Errors Made that did not see an Advantage Gained by a contestant, should not be punished as harshly as they are, I'd be with you and I'm sure most others would as well bcuz any of us could have a post made from a phone or tablet come out wrong or submit a card with a typo, notice that then correct it immediately or suffer an Internet Outage that sees us submit picks a few minutes after a deadline.

"Devils Advocate" though, a climate in which those running these contests are asked to have to deal with "situations", stuff in addition to and on top of running these contests....this might not be a Fair Ask.

I'd love to have my 2.5 points, of course, cuz 19 Minute late Submission, No Advantage was gained and why it happened was totally beyond my control + in this contest for years, never a late submit...

...objectively though, I can understand why from a Contest Runner's perspective situations like my own and Chargerette's might be seen differently, and also seen differently by contestants that are totally "By The Book."

Ideally, errors that did not = Advantage could be dealt with differently, I'm unsure if thats a "Fair Ask" though.

Comment

If a Vote got taken on the question of whether Errors Made that did not see an Advantage Gained by a contestant, should not be punished as harshly as they are, I'd be with you and I'm sure most others would as well bcuz any of us could have a post made from a phone or tablet come out wrong or submit a card with a typo, notice that then correct it immediately or suffer an Internet Outage that sees us submit picks a few minutes after a deadline.

"Devils Advocate" though, a climate in which those running these contests are asked to have to deal with "situations", stuff in addition to and on top of running these contests....this might not be a Fair Ask.

I'd love to have my 2.5 points, of course, cuz 19 Minute late Submission, No Advantage was gained and why it happened was totally beyond my control + in this contest for years, never a late submit...

...objectively though, I can understand why from a Contest Runner's perspective situations like my own and Chargerette's might be seen differently, and also seen differently by contestants that are totally "By The Book."

Ideally, errors that did not = Advantage could be dealt with differently, I'm unsure if thats a "Fair Ask" though.
                    I hear you on typos, but deadlines have to be absolute because where would you draw the line? If you said an hour, then everyone could wait an extra hour every week. Unless you only got to take one mulligan per season.

If we really wanted to be nice, everyone could have a default lineup of teams that they would get if they missed. I was in a very professional contest where you picked 10 games or totals, and if you missed once, you got the first 10 home teams listed on the contest sheet. If you missed twice, you got an 0-10.

It would be nice if we had an edit feature that allowed more than one minute to make a change. If it allowed say 10 minutes, that would take care of any typos that anyone might notice after posting. And it wouldn't bother the scorekeeper, because it would just tidy up the one post. And there would be no advantage.

Comment

We had this discussion back in the first week in August. It was settled!. Rule 5 was changed from could to WILL result in 0-5. No exceptions ,corrections or editing is allowed. When u post Ock said back then CHECK YOUR PICKS before u hit Post Quick Reply. Bret3518 said all posted picks are FINAL. And we agreed. No wiggle room for exceptions. And also DECIDED was if POSTED THE SAME TEAM TWICE one of them is an AUTOMATIC LOSS!!. So no need to rehash this again. We had discussion back in early August tp eliminate any confusion on the rule 4 and 5. Time to move on instead asking for wiggle room. NO Way

Comment

Originally posted by winnersbyt&b View Post
                        We had this discussion back in the first week in August. It was settled!.
                        Agree 100%.

We have this argument EVERY year. People are going to make mistakes; it happens. The rules are the rules and they are there for a purpose. When someone messes up, we have to enforce the rules across the board. There is not a lot of money at stake and it is mostly for fun, but we still have to have rules and follow them.

Comment

While not being in disagreement with winnersbyt&b and OCK above there are always going to be some withiin this Community that see, concerning minor misteps or misfortunes that cause an entry to any of these contests to violate a Rule, there is a choice to view that as Comedy or allow that to be a Tragedy. "Tragedy" you might say, is Over Stating (Ryan Lochte-Style) but No. Chargerette's Duplication followed by pretty much immediate post to Correct? Two Options exist: View as "Comedy" (to mean: not that serious an infraction, No Advantage Gained, so No Way Penalize) or let that breed Tragedy. My Internet Failing? Same Deal, lol "what awful timing" No Advantage Gained though so no Biggie.

We're a little Forum. Blessed that this which again is arguable the very FIRST Sports Discussion Forum to exist Online, if not certainly Bookie's Hell/Bettorsworld was there at that beginning to FIGHT with the other Forum that is the only possible other "First One of it's type" (and those battles were interesting), as a small Forum which such an amazing History and, primarily, such Great & Longtime membership here, there are some of us who view this as, consider this to be a "Family" of sorts.

And thats really all thats been proposed, via even Widestride's "Mulligan" idea: that we behave as that Family and let these contests get decided by who is the Best 'Capper and not by who manages to avoid misfortune and/or not accomplish Perfection within their posts.

At this Familial Table it is our choice to Laugh or to Cry. The Proposal is merely that we choose the more Joy-filled of those two options and avoid derailing these contests getting won by the most talented 'Cappers.

Comment

The Proposal is merely that we choose the more Joy-filled of those two options and avoid derailing these contests getting won by the most talented 'Cappers.

......instead of the best typers? What a concept....ha ha :^ /

Comment

Working...
                            X