BASEBALL DIME LINE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BASEBALL DIME LINE

It seems that there is a chance that major books will abandon the dime line and go to the wide line.Did books take that bad of a beating last year and decide to act like a "cartel" and ban together to raise prices? I hope that books realize they can make money using the dime line,arent there any good bm's who know how to move their line.I for one,will not be into a wide line and know of 2 books that have no thoughts of switching.I would like to hear from books that post here and their feelings on this matter.If you cant make money,raise prices until you do.Whats next,-115 either way on football and baskets?

What's a wide line?

Comment

The combination of high limits and the dime line resulting in several books having a losing baseball season last year.

Baseball season has always seemed more of a loss leader to keep customers for the lucrative football season.

With this in mind I suggest the books who lost last year with the baseball dime line simply reduce their limits, thereby keeping all their smaller clients happy (and keep them sticking around until baseball season) while at the same time not losing money.

Comment

There are so many shops competeing for our post-ups that even if a few big shops got together and went to 15 or 20 cent line, I beleive there will always be BM's out there who will offer the 10 cent line. I can sympathise with a buisness though that bust their ass all summer only to lose or break even.

Comment

im in the states-and im not going to widen my gap,even though business is slow during baseball i feel its the best thing for my customers to get a honest dime line-but im in the states and i dont deal the volume that offshore does...

Comment

I am in New York on vacation. Someone brought this to my attention. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION OF SWITCHING TO A 20 CENT LINE. WE WILL USE A 10 CENT LINE AS ALWAYS.

Thanks Lance

Comment

We have been approached to band together with some other large limit books and switch to the 20cent line. I don't think it's going to happen and we have no intention of going to the wide line. But some books with high limits and wiseguys had a hard time last year, mostly the big books on the Don Best where every change is broadcast to the world.

Comment

Intheknow
                What book are you from?

Thanks Lance

Inquisitive
                Very well said and I agree with you 100%.
                Books have enough of an advantage already,and now there is talk of some moving to a 20 cent line. It cant work and anyone that does it is basically saying they are not booking baseball anymore. There are plenty of books out there like us that would never do this to our loyal clients. Like you said anyone that uses it just sends more clients to other books. To those who missed it SKYBOOK WILL USE A 10 CENT LINE ALWAYS IN BASEBALL.

Thanks Lance

Comment

Thanks skybook.I already have an account with your store and hope your lines will be comparable to those you used during the end of baseball last season.Am looking forward to betting into those numbers this upcoming season.Since you seem to enjoy betting bases as well you know that a 20 cent line is "robbing without a gun" and im glad at least one screen store wont be gouging.Good luck.

Comment

AJAX50
                    I will be there every pitch from opening day until the world series with the same 10 cent line and lines like you saw last season. I look foward to the season and your business.

Thanks a lot Lance

Comment

Can someone explain why baseball has a dimeline when everything else is twenty cents or worse? And Skybook, if you love the dimeline so much why don't you put one up in hockey/baskets/football etc.

Comment

Bob, it's the number of likely wagers in a season. A football bettor might take 100 positions in a season, a baseball bettor might take 1000. The juice eats up most players in baseball before the season is over.

Comment

The bookmakers will never unite for any reason. Never! Scotty

Comment

Back in the early eighties a group of N.Y. books got together and tried to implement a 15c line after they got crushed the year before on bases. About 20 or so went to the 15c line while a few more only used a wide line(20c). The offices that stayed at 10c wound up writing all the business. The books that raised their prices went back to the dime line in order to keep their customers for the football season. The same thing will happen this summer.

I saw games move 20-40c last year. Some moved 25c on DB in one jump. It's very tough for books to make any money when customers are laying 25 and taking 40.

THE DEVIL

Comment

Thanks for the response Big Money, but I'm not sure I understand. College Basketball plays 5,000 games in a season to baseball's 2,430 and twenty cents rules there.

Personally, I could see books going to a bigger line on their own. Carib did it and survived nicely...you might not get much action but if action means losing your shirt is that such a bad thing?

Comment

Working...
                              X