No announcement yet.

agents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? TO J.DE MARCO AND THE DEVIL, IF AN AGENT BASICALLY GATHERS CLIENTS QUALIFYS THEM WITH HIS OUT,THEY THEN ONLY CALL ACTION DIRECTLY TO THE OFFICE NEVER TO THE AGENT,HOW IS THE AGENT GUILTY OF A FELONY UNDER THE WIRE ACT.?

Comment

? FOR JOHNNY . IF AN AGENT ONLY GATHERS CLIENTS QUALIFYS THEM WITH HIS OUT,THEY THEN DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE OUT,HE ONLY EXCHANGES CASH WITH THE CLIENTS ,HOW DOES THE WIRE ACT FIT IN?

Comment

Irish,
        He would be considered a co-conspirator. If he gathered cash (paying + collecting) he would also be guilty of money laundering. All cash from an offshore operation is by law considered illegal proceeds. 1084 means simply "engaged in the business of gambling."
        You don't have to be the one taking the bet to be considered engaged in the business of gambling. Anyform of the business will more than likely warrant this charge. I repeat for the third time do not become an agent. While your offshore pals remain safe offshore you can quickly end up in jail. If I thought for 1 minute that an offshore operation was legal I would have a big one. Why do you think all the big boys in Vegas aren't there? It is illegal, bottom line.

Comment

listen all of you...I fthe government can't get the offshores..who do you think they will go after next......the players....I will not post anything anymore..i have said my peace and I know I have tried to warn you...My next post will be to accept all of yor apologies for being so ignorant...Jeff... I really don't have an explosive temper..I just react to others peoples comments, obviusly they can't tell sarcasm...I know some of post are idiotic..but they are just that sarcasm...As for skybook I will keep you informed, and i have spoken to your friend and given him some useful info...

Comment

Irish....

They also have a word CONSPIRACY which they use to tie up all loose ends.

THE DEVIL

Comment

It is not against the law in most states to wager on the outcome of sporting events. It is illegal in all states to book sports. In some states (very few) it is a misdemeanor to bet on sports and in one state, (California) it is a felony.

Smartplayer you are from New York, it is not illegal in the State of New York to wager on sports, it is illegal to book sports. Carl Ichan got a gaming license in Nevada after the gaming commision proved he bet on sports and paid with checks in NEW YORK. If it was illegal to bet on sports in New York he would not have a gaming license, period!

USA vs. Truesdale set a precedent that it is not illegal to pay and collect (agent) if the company the agent works for is a legal licensed entity.

The Truesdale case is what is going to allow Jay Cohen to go free after his appeal is heard
              http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions...-10773-CR0.HTM

Gambling is illegal in Japan. What the U.S. is doing is the same thing as indicting Steve Wynn for allowing Japanese tourist to gamble at the Mirage or indicting a representative of the Mirage when he goes to Japan to collect an unpaid marker.

Comment

BSKY2,
                Someone has misinformed you. I responded to you on another thread on this issue. Jim Truesdale has nothing to do with Jay Cohen.
                The US attorneys office that prosecuted JT made a mistake and charged him with the wrong crime. JT was originally found guilty and then had it overturned in Appeals court based the fact that he was charged wrong. He was very fortunate and will tell you so himself. He also had a good lawyer. Jay Cohen's lawyer was on crack using the strategy he used. (from what I read anyway)
                IF JT was charged with 1084 he would have lost. The strange thing about the JT deal was that he went to the FBI to ask if what he was doing was legal and they said yes. Then they turned around and lied against him court.

Comment

JM, that is way the Feds work and I am sure you know that. I am also aware that they charged him illegal bookmaking in Texas and not a 1084 violation. KH (Truesdale's attorney) is my attorney also and we have discussed this at length.

From what I understand the reason the travel act and other charges were dismissed was because they worked for a legal licensed company in the DR or Jamica and weren't violating any U.S. laws.

I may be wrong but that is what I have been told.

Comment

Thanks for gracing us with your presence oh smart one. Don't worry about us ignorant fools too much, we'll try to get by, even without your wisdom.

[This message has been edited by IBTom (edited 04-26-2000).]

Comment

I've been quiet up until now but I am not going to sit here and let my lawyer be insulted by someone who wasn't even at the trial.

I am not sure what "strategy" you are referring to since there was not extensive coverage of the trial by the mainstream media. The only journalists who were there on a daily basis were Sting and the Shrink. Most of the others covered it second hand.

The phrase "the best" is often over used. I'll just say this. If Ben Brafman isn't the best trial lawyer in NY, he is certainly one of the best. Every person I spoke to in the legal business had the same reaction when I would tell them who was representing me. They all said I couldn't be in better hands. The case could not have been tried any better. Believe me, you had to be there. My uncle who is a successful west coast trial lawyer for over 35 years who did attend told me Ben was the best he had ever seen. In addition our motions were spectacular and everyone who read them with or without a legal background agreed.

You had to be there to understand what happened. If not, read all of the transcripts and it is crystal clear how and why the jury came to the verdict they did.

JD, you made a reference in an earlier post that Paradise had better lawyers because they took a deal. I could have had a deal anytime I wanted. The Feds did not want to try this case. But I wouldn't take a deal and here's why. I didn't think I did anything wrong and I still don't. I told my lawyer in writing, "I don't care if they kick it down to littering, you won't hear the word guilty roll off my tongue." I still stand by that quote today. It doesn't take a genius lawyer to cut a deal with the government, 92% of federal cases plead out.

So, if you want to say in your opinion it's against the law that's fine. If you want to say I was wrong not to take a deal that's fine but don't insult my lawyer.

I'd love to chat more about the merits of my case and the others mentioned in these threads but I am going to hold back for the time being. Until then, I'll mainly observe.

Jay Cohen

FYI - One of the objects of the conspiracy count in the Truesdale case was a 1084 violation. That's a fact.

Comment

JC!

Everyone has opinions. Some may have been mis-stated. The vast majority of posters on ALL forums across the net are rooting for a victory by you, to get the conviction overturned. When BB got criticized by others I don't believe they realized his hands were tied by the courts and your decision not to take a plea. GOOD LUCK

THE DEVIL.

Comment

JC,
                          I stand corrected on the attorney thing. Thanks for straightening me out on that. I wish you nothing but the best. The Paradise deal was a little different though, if you call 11 million dollars and probable jail a deal. It's weird how the FBI went after you and the IRS CID went after Paradise. Hopefully what ever you work out, you won't have to deal with the IRS after everything else is over. Again, good luck, everyone I've talked to says you're a stand up guy.

Comment

Johnny,

Isn't the reason that the 'big boys from Vegas' aren't offshore is that they would like to keep those bits of real estate in Vegas full of poker machines that make them fortunes?

Comment

although that being said, not true is it

as American Wagering runs Megasports in Canberra

Comment

Irish, if there is more to Skybook's leaving Don Best, why--coincident with their vacating Feist--are they now back on the Screen? Guys like you should stick to solid information, not cheap rumors.

Comment

Working...
                                X