X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott that's all nonsense but debating the
    issues wasn't the point of my post as this is
    a gambling forum FYI carib olympic and canbet
    dropped their lines on the race today following the public release of the new polls
    I hope you guys got down on it.

Comment

Like it matters who runs the country,a computer could run the country,pretty soon a computer will run the world.

Comment

Cons, what great people are you talking about? Richard Nixon was a crook, John F. Kennedy made Bubba Clinton look like a choir boy, and Lyndon Johnson was a sadistic wild man. Jimmy Carter is a nice guy guy, a humanitarian, but he was a political idiot whose policies caused run-away inflation. The Bushes are owned by big oil interests, and Al Gore will try to tax us to death and waste the money on worthless social programs.

Pat Buchanan? If someone wants to waste a vote, the Libertarian party is a better choice.

However, if I were voting, I would vote for Gore simply because Democrats were the reason the Kyle Bill didn't pass, and if Gore were President, he would be more likely to vetoe anti-Internet gambling bills than would Bush.

Comment

Welcome to the campaign RENO

Where can I send you a GORE-LIEBERMAN tee
          shirt....

We all have our reasons for supporting candidates but I was extremely happy that
          Clinton didn'y sign the Kyl Bill and that it's less likely to becomie law under GORE
          because despite the fact I agree with GORE
          on virtually every issue over BUSH I don't
          know if I could vote for someone more likely
          to harm the offshore books and therefore my
          favorite hobby and source of making money

Comment

Clinton threatenned to Veto Goodlatte because IT DIDN'T GO FAR ENOUGH, not because he's against banning I- gaming. Now the Very Liberal Dem, Conyers has intro'd a bill that Goes MUCH FARTHER. Would Gore be against THAT bill, pushed by a big backer? I'm waiting for the Courageous politico to come out and say how RIDICULOUS and DISGUSTING it is to try and stop people from betting on the net. I'll be waiting a long time, I suspect.

Comment

to think gore is in principal for internet gaming anymore than bush is niave, gore or clinton have never claimed to be against banning internet gambling. Rich bringing up being a gore volunteer opened this topic up to more than a gambling issue. Until then I wager that both gore and bush would sign the right internet gaming bill in a heartbeat. PS. dont worry carib still has the winner at bet 10 to win 17 so get down before its to late.oly has bush -220 gore plus 160

[This message has been edited by greg (edited 08-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by greg (edited 08-21-2000).]

Comment

Hey, I liked Nixon.

Still, if I were to put money on this I would lay it on Bush. BTW, what are the best odds out there on the guy?

Comment

I know this thread was originally started to push the idea of betting on Al Gore, but since everyone else has taken it as an opportunity to comment on their views about the presidential reace overall, and its relevancy to the future of legislation like the Kyl Bill, I think I'll have to weigh in as well.

First, while he and I don't see eye to eye on too many issues, Johnny DeMarco is 100 PERCENT CORRECT when he says that the election of Al Gore would be a sad day for this country. While the Republican Party may have the very frightening christian right, people like Gore and the rest of the politically correct left wing have done infinitely more damage to individual freedom and liberty than any Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson could ever accomplish with their silly rhetoric that so few take seriously. But people like Gore take away your freedom every day under the illusion of protecting you, presumably from yourself.

As to how this would effect the Kyl Bill, I think you have to look back at the recent post by GUESSER above who points out correctly the EXACT WORDS Al Gore used in talking about the Kyl Bill and its House companion (Goodlatte). Gore stated that he could not support such legislation because it had too many expemptions which amounted to hypocrisy, and he could only support a bill which outlawed everything or nothing at all. While his logic may be correct, that's a pretty scary statement in that he believes Goodlatte/Kyl does not go far enough.

Third point, earlier in this thread, the guy who works for Gore (Rich) stated that he's secure in Gore's view on the Kyl Bill because Clinton refused to sign it into law. While that is technically correct, like all Democrats these days who follow the example set by their President, it is a gross misrepresentation of what really took place with the first version of the Kyl Bill which did in fact pass a vote in the Senate, but NEVER got to Clinton's desk for signing because of Trent Lott. The facts of the case are as follows: The Kyl Bill had a 100 percent chance of passing and a ZERO percent chance of ever becoming law because it was a "smoke and mirrors" routine played by the Republican Party where all parties could score a symbolic victory. In order, here's how it plays out:

1. Senator John Kyl (R-Arizona) and Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nevada) are in the pocket of Las Vegas gaming interests who are scared to death by the growth of offshore gambling.

2. Kyl and Reid are paid off in the form of huge campaign contributions to push the Kyl Bill.

3. Certain offshore sports books hire a VERY respected and well connected lobbying firm to represent their interests in Congress. This firm is a tool of the Republican Party.

4. Faced with good paying contributors on both sides of the argument, Senate majority leader Trent Lott finds the perfect solution by allowing a vote in which Republican senators can vote in favor of the Kyl Bill, thus appeasing the psycho religious right wing of the party. Lott then makes sure that the Kyl Bill, although passed, is not included in the overall budget that is sent to Clinton for signing, thus appeasing the more sensible libertarian wing (and pro-business) of the Republican Party.

5. So, idiots like Kyl can continue to posture about how he tried to save us from the evil gambling forces, and Lott can bank points with a big lobby group which puts mucho money in the pockets of Republican politicians. Thus everyone wins in the short term.

As for the long term, neither party is guaranteed to leave the issue alone because the Republicans constantly have to "throw bones" to the F@@king christian right and the Democratic Party has to "throw bones" to the Soccer Moms and other politically correct morons who want to hand away our freedom. The good news is that the Republicans have shown one thing that remains a constant, they can be bought by any group for the right price and that's the best chance to fight future Kyl-like legislation. You can only buy the Democrats if you're a trial lawyer, a school teacher, a gay boy scout leader, a tree hugger environmentalist, etc...While the Republican Party has LOTS of problems and is a poor option for right-minded voters, it remains the only option as long as we have a two-party system semi-dominated by the extremes within each party. I hate do it as a true libertarian, but I'll continue to vore Republican because at this point there are two kinds of people in the United States, Americans and members of the Democratic Party!!!

Comment

Yes Gore did say he is against the Kyl Bill, but only because he favors a much more restrictive bill. Keep in mind this is the same guy who was with the PMRC that wanted to ban rap records because of a few cuss words.

In his speechs has alluded to his plans to censor T.V. with the v-chip and the internet.
                    If Gore is elected we can forget about the free internet we now know.

Bush, on the other hand, isn't much better.
                    Although, he has governed a state with a lottery and has never shown himself to anti-gaming. He will be inclined to sign any bill the rightwingers of his party put on his desk.

No matter who wins this election offshore gambling will lose.

In handicapping this race the only factor that matters is this:

Money raised-
                    BUSH-93,260,829
                    GORE-52,568,089

Comment

GREAT POST T-BONE!!!!

Comment

greg - i assume voting for bush is the only thing you and johnny D have in common. i, on the other hand, am hoping to celebrate a gore win with cashing a winning ticket as well.

markdel - you lost any hope at credibility when you posted '...johnny demarco is 100% correct....'

[This message has been edited by parlay (edited 08-24-2000).]

Comment

Folks it's not too late get down on Gore now New polls taken a week after convention speach show Gore maintaining his bounce up
                          4points in Newsweek poll and 5 in Fox news poll which will be shown on tv tommorow, if the change in the race was just a bump from the convention it would be gone by now. The
                          only "bounce" that doens't last after a week is when it's followed by the other part's conventiion I believe in a few weeks Gore will be favored to to win by most offshore books

Comment

50-37 Gore leads in California,the only state that matters,so Rich is right afterall congratulations on your lock.

Comment

Clarification on Kyl bill

The Kyl bill (which is the Senate version of the Internet Gambling Prohibition Act) has been voted on in the US Senate on 2 seperate occasions. Congress has two year sessions, in the 97-98 session, the Senate allowed the bill to be amended to an unrelated appropriations bill by a vote of 90-10. During that two year session the House never brought any version of the bill to the floor of the House. The amendment to the appropriations bill was stripped out in committee and the Kyl bill died with that session of Congress.

Kyl started again in 1999 and Goodlatte introduced his version in the House in 1999. They had to start from scratch. In late November of 1999 when the Congress was arguing over the budget and in session way passed their scheduled holiday departure Kyl brought his bill to the Senate floor. He did this on a Friday afternoon. That morning the Congress had finally voted on a budget that the two parties hammered out together. Most congressman left for home for the winter break. But not John Kyl, this was the last day of business and he brought his bill to the Senate floor late that Friday. There were only SEVEN Senators present on the floor when he brought it up for a voice vote. Since there were no objections the voice vote was allowed and SEVEN senators said aye and the bill was passed. Pretty sickening if you ask me.

Now they needed to pass the companion bill in the House before the 1999-2000 session was over. As you all know Goodlatte brought his bill to the floor under suspension (no amendments allowed, but it required a 2/3's vote). His bill failed, it will be interesting to see whether in the last few weeks of Congress whether they let him bring his bill to the floor again under open rules where only a simple majority is required. However remember if they do there might be some amendments made that many of his supporters don't like. The bill is more about exemptions than restrictions and many members of the House only support it because their constituency has their exemption but if they are stripped out by amendment there are many representatives that will turn against it. That is why he brought it under suspension in the first place.

Maybe I'll write more on this later.

Comment

Pay attention guy's. Gore leads in both Cal & NY and at this point, Bush's lowest point I might add, Bush still leads in Electoral Votes!! It's true. Do some due dillegence before you dispute it...Scotty

Comment

Working...
                                X