Clear All

• jai-alai

brian i see where the last jai-alai fronton in connecticut has closed

did u ever go to it

did u like it

what are your thoughts on the sport

THERE GOES RAMON,UP,UP,UP THE WALL!!!

Comment

Jai Alai was always boring to me. And fixed. Has anyone ever won by skillfully handicapping this sport over the long run? I doubt it.

Comment

JAI-ALAI ISN'T BORING,BUT IT'S DEFINITELY FIXED.

ALL YOU CAN DO IS PLAY YOUR FAVORITE NUMBERS.

IT'S LIKE PLAYING THE DAILY NUMBERS ONLY MORE EXCITING...

Comment

Back in the late 1970's, the MGM Grand in Las Vegas had a BEAUTIFUL fronton. It was always fun to go but very difficult to beat consistently ( just luck ).

Comment

I never really got into jai alai either. Lived minutes from two different facilities.

The daily number scenario is about right. Might as well play your favorite numbers.

I feel the same way about the dogs but then I heard there are players beating the dogs, so who knows......

Comment

i always chuckle when i hear persons that have no jai-alai background say that the sport is definitely fixed. how in the hell would you know! i played for a few seasons & never once was i instructed to lose or throw one in the pad or any of that nonsense. my favorite ignorant comment i hear is the one where some dolt says, "The number of who is supposed to win is on the ball." if you have never stepped on the court before, then you are talking through your ass when you make remarks like,"That was an easy catch, it was going sooo slow." parimutual pools dont care what combo wins the game. they take their cut & pay out that "pie" in many slices or one whole piece.

for actuality- please support your claim of it "definitely" being fixed. this i am dieing to hear!

Comment

I USED TO FREQUENT BOTH BRIDGEPORT AND MILFORD JAI-ALAI AND ON NUMEROUS OCASSIONS I WAS GIVEN 2-3 STONE COLD PERFECTAS A CARD FROM AN INDIVIDUAL WHO WAS "IN THE KNOW" SO TO SPEAK.

SOMETIMES IT WAS WELL CHOREOGRAPHED,OTHER TIMES IT WAS A JOKE AND THE PATRONS IN ATTENDACE WENT WILD,SIMILARLY TO THE THE TIME AT YONKERS RACEWAY WHEN MOONGLOWER WON AND PAID $42 AND THE EXACTA PRICE WAS $4 MORE OR LESS THAN THE WIN PRICE...

Comment

Jai Alai is neither boring nor fixed. The house got the same cut no matter what numbers came out. It's funny immediately when I read the first few points I thought of Hart Attack's comment regarding the numbers being on the balls myself like people would yell when a player was changing balls and checking them out. The only possible way of fixing jai alai is the players amongst themselves, and while there are a few instances of this being attempted the fact is there is not enough money to be made by doing so, especially with the risk of lifetime banishment. Comments like "someone in the know" knowing what will come out beforehand are completely ludicrous. The fact its a great game where the pelota could bounce anyway at any time and maybe its crazy to bet on it. That said, I was a little sad myself to hear Milford recently closed for good. I haven't lived in Connecticut for years but grew up there and spent alot of time in all 3 frontons. In reality, jai alai died the day Foxwoods opened and probably should have closed much sooner. As for being able to handicap the game with success long-term it is virtually impossible where the players are given post positions based on ability as at Bridgeport and Milford. These are simply numbers games in the long run. However, I was able to make money consistently in Hartford and later at Dania Jai Alai where a random post positon was used. This meant you could get the best players in the 1-2 as oppposed to 5-6-7 all the time. Not only did it allow legitimate handicapping, it was much more entertaining to see the star players in different posts and on the court more. I never understood why management wouldn't agree. I was once told by the general manager of Milford the players prefer the scripted games as opposed to random posts which I didn't believe. I know as a fan, their system ultimately resulted in seeing the same thing over and over again and it got boring. What's funny is it was also possible to handicap the replacement players during the strike. Some were so bad they simply couldn't catch the ball in the beginning and you really could pick winners on a regular basis. Anyway, jai alai is a great game, I would suggest anyone in South Florida check out Dania sometime. I'm convicned long-term that might be the only fronton in the country to survive. It still has excitement that I hear Milford lacked for the last 5-6 years of its existence as well as without question the best roster. Hart Attack where did you play?

Comment

ft. pierce & big bend. i still am friends with several of the guys still playing in orlando, dania, & miami.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by hart attack:

parimutual pools dont care what combo wins the game. they take their cut & pay out that "pie" in many slices or one whole piece.

[quote]Originally posted by <kid>:

Jai Alai is neither boring nor fixed. The house got the same cut no matter what numbers came out.

HELLO!

THE HOUSE DOES GET THE SAME CUT OUT OF THE PARIMUTUEL POOL.

THIS IS ABOUT THE PLAYERS LINING THEIR POCKETS WITH A PIECE OF THE PIE...

IF HART ATTACK WAS AN AMERICAN PLAYER HE MOST LIKELY WAS NEVER APPROACHED.

NO OFFENCE BUT AN AMERICAN WOULD BE CONSIDERED AN "OUTSIDER" IN SUCH A SCENARIO.

ANYWHERE THE EQUATION OF GAMBLING,HUMANS AND HUMAN NATURE EXISTS AND THERE IS THE OPPORTUNITY TO BENEFIT FINANCIALLY FROM INFLUENCING THE OUTCOME OF AN EVENT, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

GRANTED THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO POSSIBLITY THAT SHAQ OR KOBE WOULD GO IN THE TANK BECAUSE THEIR PERSONAL EARN IS TOO MUCH TO RISK,BUT AN AVERAGE HARNESS DRIVER AT AN OUT OF TOWN TRACK OR A JAI-ALAI PLAYER FROM A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY?

PUHLEEEEZE!

I GUESS YOU DONT BELIEVE THE 1919 WORLD SERIES WAS FIXED EITHER...

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.

Comment

in horseracing parimutal pools the house gets the same percentage of a cut no matter who wins and we all know there is plenty of fixing horse races

IT'S ABOUT THE PLAYERS DIVVYING UP THE LOOT THEMSELVES SO THEY'RE ALL TAKEN CARE OF INSTEAD OF RELYING ON THE LUCK OF THE DRAW

SAME IN JAI ALAI

================================================== ================================================== ========

JAI-ALAI, FRONTON, PELOTA, CESTA

WHAT ARE OTHER JAI-ALIA LINGO???

Comment

horse racing, boxing, jai alai all have cases on the books of tampering/fixing. i don't think there is a sport wagered on that hasn't been touched by scandal related to gambling.

Comment

players are paid a salary AND get paid extra for each 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & (superfecta 4th) finish in every game they participate in. they have incentive($$) to try to win games or playoffs as it enhances their income. now i cannot say that somewhere along the line someone has not in an isolated incident approached a player about taking a dive, but to say broadly that jai-alai is fixed is ignorant & just plain rubbish! i guess that every INT thrown in the NFL is fixed also then huh? or every booted ground ball in MLB??? or every missed free throw in the NBA?? give me break snapperhead!!

Comment

A couple of comments about jai alai. A math prof did computer analysis and simulations on jai alai with some success. His experience is documented in a book called "Calculated Bets" by Steven Skiena. It's a good book, very interesting reading, I recommend it highly.

Also, a comment about dog racing just being a number picking exercise. Last year I spent a few months in Florida and got interested in dog racing. I did a lot of analysis using multiple regression over a couple of months and developed some successful formulas. Unfortunately, success here meant picking more winners than just selecting numbers. Unfortunatley, I couldn't quite overcome the about 20% take off the top and essentially broke even. There is some promise here, but more work is needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X